Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The "Zomg we got Iupati draft!"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Jacob Bender, Nate Garner...guys drafted late that did nothing.

Adriene Clark played between Mangold and D'Brick, it made both of them worse.

When you are strong in an area you can't assume that you can plug anyone into a spot.
    valid points here. i happen to think slauson is better than these guys. callahan knows his linemen and he coached him at nebraska. could be wishful thinking though

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

When you are strong in an area you can't assume that you can plug anyone into a spot.
    Bender and Clarke had the word "Bum" written all over them from day one. Blame Mangina or Tanny or whoever they were doomed from the start.

The Jets have gotten lucky getting quality O-line players like Mackenzie in the 3rd and Fabini in the 4th. Brandon Moore wasn't even drafted, began his career on our practice squad and as a Scotland Claymore and you had people on this site screaming bloody murder when Tanny was playing hardball with his contract negotiations last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    not really...they were sixth/seventh round selections, so the expectations were a bit unrealistic...Bender is still in the league as a back-up and Garner started 8 games for the Fish last year....

the irony is you've got brain dead morons on this forum who wail like little girls about Alan Faneca being a waste of money- yet the development of Mangold and Ferguson can be directly drawn to the arrival of Faneca...

agreed- but you do need to prepare moving forwards...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 03-23-2010 at 11:07 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    a guard is not the ideal pick this year in round 1 any way you slice it. maybe RT but not guard. despite rex's magic last year the defense needs a better pass rush and ellis' eventual replacement, and given the depth in this draft, these slots need to be addressed before guard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    a guard is not the ideal pick this year in round 1 any way you slice it.
    When you think about it, no one is an ideal pick in the first round this year for us. Not unless someone drops, which is what would have to happen to Iupati for us to actually have a chance to draft him.

I don't care WHEN we address issues as long as we address issues...OL depth is an issue, even if you want to pretend they're not valuable enough to think about first. Our whole offense is built around our OL, and I have no idea what makes RT more valuable than OG beyond traditional (see: old) football thinking.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    When you think about it, no one is an ideal pick in the first round this year for us. Not unless someone drops, which is what would have to happen to Iupati for us to actually have a chance to draft him.

I don't care WHEN we address issues as long as we address issues...OL depth is an issue, even if you want to pretend they're not valuable enough to think about first. Our whole offense is built around our OL, and I have no idea what makes RT more valuable than OG beyond traditional (see: old) football thinking.

OG is not more important than RT or vice versa. Agree.
    Now disagree. The Jets have one of the 3 or 4 best OLs in football. Why draft a backup. I'll say again, a good OLman can start day 1 (first or second rounder). Brick and Mangold did. Others as well in the league.
    Need a OG to replace Faneca say next year? Draft him next year. I can assure you there will be good OGs in the draft.
    As far a backups this year? Turner is on the team - he does C also. Hunter is a good fill in. Slauson - who knows. Or get a cut or UDFA to be on the 53 and not attend games.
    I am not a fan of first rounders not playing (QB excepted). A good DE will be in this rotation. Safety - no. CB - #4 guy. WR - slot at best. NT - in rotation but #3. OLB - probably (other than DE most likely for action).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And that is exactly where we are drafting no? Great players make positions critical. Hey I'm not saying you go looking for safeties or o-lineman in the 1st round but if I'm looking at my draft board and see a great o-line prospect and I know within a year I'll need an o-lineman I will have no hesitation taking him rather than the 3rd best OLB or DE.

If player values are near equal then of course you take the guy that is good and fits a more immediate need if the values are not equal from your scouts then that is another case.

If the conversation in the war room goes like this then I know who I'm picking.

GM: "So we have the guard and the DE, who do we want?"
    Scout: "The DE is good, should be a fine player for us, not flashy but will get the job done. The guard is best pure guard prospect I've seen in 10 years."

Admittedly I'm a bit biased in favour of having the best o-line you can get. It solves or prevents so many problems for an offensive team. I also worry that sooner or later we will get hit by injuries up front. The Jets have been phenominally healthy on the o-line the last few years.
    Excellent post....totally agree with the theory that if the guy is that good you take him.Especially as you could argue there are very few holes that must be plugged on our team.I'd ideally like a Brandon Graham to replace BT but if you think Iupati might be the second coming of Steve Hutchinson then it's a no-brainer....especially at 29.

Not to hijack the thread or anything but assuming Iupati isn't there how much of a drop-off is there with Vladimir Ducasse?....would he be value at No61?....on the face of it appears similar to Iupati in measurables and flexibilty to play OG or OT and could be ready to replace either Faneca or Woody in a year or 2...also what hapened to Sergio Render?