Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Zomg we got Iupati draft!"

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanmack View Post
    DE over DeVito and Douglas if he comes back. OLB over Gholston and Thomas.
    A WR wouldn't start but would see the field plenty in 3WR sets. A CB or RB drafted would play more than an o-linemen

Even if a S, DE, or OLB doesn't start, he'll still play. O-linemen play every snap so a rookie wouldn't play unless of an injury.
    thats absolutely not true.... especially for a guy like Iupati who can back up all the O-line positions.

i don't care how good the guy is, if he's going to play guard in the nfl, you don't take him with all the other talent in the draft. if he's woody's replacement and will be a very good RT, then he should be a consideration.

with ellis near retirement and very little natural pass rush to speak of, and with only 2 proven wrs on the roster, the thought of using the 29th pick to take a guard makes no sense. sometimes i see people on this board justifying any selection, whether it's a safety, cb, wr, og, etc.

. sometimes i see people on this board justifying any selection, whether it's a safety, cb, wr, og, etc.
    That because some people realize this team sets itself up to have no major needs come draft time. It's not as if anyone we draft is seeing the field all that often.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post
    thats absolutely not true.... especially for a guy like Iupati who can back up all the O-line positions.
    never mind the fact the Jets like to throw extra linemen on the field during short yardage situations....Iupati is an upgrade over Hunter and Turner...

btw- Simmonds is a dud...I'd barf if the Jets selected him....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    never mind the fact the Jets like to throw extra linemen on the field during short yardage situations....Iupati is an upgrade over Hunter and Turner...

btw- Simmonds is a dud...I'd barf if the Jets selected him....
    I was going to mention that, but don't you think that can go either way in the arguement? They already have 2 guys they use and are comfortable with and have been successful in those situations.

I just don't buy it. Both sides of the lines are aging, would rather se it used on the side where they can rotate and have the bigger impact this year.

in this deep draft i don't buy the pure BAP theory nor do i take a guard in round 1. the jets need a RT more, and they need pass rushers even more than that. i have faith that rex and tanny will get it right. they seem to have got it right with sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    I was going to mention that, but don't you think that can go either way in the arguement? They already have 2 guys they use and are comfortable with and have been successful in those situations.

I just don't buy it. Both sides of the lines are aging, would rather se it used on the side where they can rotate and have the bigger impact this year.
    of course it goes both ways but while everyone hopes the Jets make a Super Bowl run next year 1- they are selecting late in the rounds so any player chosen may not have the immediate impact most want, 2- they have some age on the offensive line that will need to be replaced very soon 3- they have a very young signal caller....

in the end I think its' a moot point as I don't expect Iuapti to be available @29...

It all depends on who is on the board at 29. I have no problem with drafting a player high and having him sit for year and learn the pro game if the player is a good enough prospect. Even sitting at 29 the Jets will be able to take players from a wide variety of positions if they choose. Tannenbaum doesn't seem to like to sit in once place though so I'd actually be surprised if the Jets end up picking at 29.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    It all depends on who is on the board at 29. I have no problem with drafting a player high and having him sit for year and learn the pro game if the player is a good enough prospect. Even sitting at 29 the Jets will be able to take players from a wide variety of positions if they choose. Tannenbaum doesn't seem to like to sit in once place though so I'd actually be surprised if the Jets end up picking at 29.
    while true, tanny doesn't have enough ammo to trade up this year, so trading back seems more likely. also, i can't see the jets using their highest pick for a guard. maybe a RT, but not a guard.

i would be surprised if they took a cb or safety in round 1. they have a lot of money tied up in the cb position and safeties can be found in later rounds. i would also be surprised if the jets took a hybrid OLB/DE like hughes, even though i like hughes, only b/c tanny is probably hesitant to invest 1st round money in that transition again. the way i see it unfolding, the jets either trade out of the first round and go BAP in round 2 with their 2 picks, or, if they stay at 29, they take ellis' eventual replacement or a wr.

What's the difference between a RT and a G? Why's a G so much less valuable?

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    have to block the tougher pass rushers.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    if Iupati played RT in college as good as he played guard he's a top 15 pick...

if a guy like slauson is halfway decent he can play guard. but you need a RT who can block guys like jerry hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    while true, tanny doesn't have enough ammo to trade up this year, so trading back seems more likely. also, i can't see the jets using their highest pick for a guard. maybe a RT, but not a guard.

i would be surprised if they took a cb or safety in round 1. they have a lot of money tied up in the cb position and safeties can be found in later rounds. i would also be surprised if the jets took a hybrid OLB/DE like hughes, even though i like hughes, only b/c tanny is probably hesitant to invest 1st round money in that transition again. the way i see it unfolding, the jets either trade out of the first round and go BAP in round 2 with their 2 picks, or, if they stay at 29, they take ellis' eventual replacement or a wr.
    The bolded part is my lease favourite term on draft boards. Just insert any position you want into that line and you can make a valid case for it. The fact remains the players you draft higher are normally better. I also think some drafting stereotypes are getting broken the last few years.

For years people would scoff at a center being drafted in the 1st round but lo and behold we took mangold and the pick was well worth it. The key for me is to get a great player with your 1st round pick and if you get the best guard in the draft late in the 1st round that is fine by me. If you get the best safety, fine by me. Of course it all depends on just how good your scouts think these players are.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The bolded part is my lease favourite term on draft boards. Just insert any position you want into that line and you can make a valid case for it. The fact remains the players you draft higher are normally better. I also think some drafting stereotypes are getting broken the last few years.

For years people would scoff at a center being drafted in the 1st round but lo and behold we took mangold and the pick was well worth it. The key for me is to get a great player with your 1st round pick and if you get the best guard in the draft late in the 1st round that is fine by me. If you get the best safety, fine by me. Of course it all depends on just how good your scouts think these players are.
    i think that the position should be one consideration in selecting in round 1. there aren't many games where you say 'wow, that safety really beat us today.' besides reed and palomalu, safeties don't impact the game like other positions. when you are paying big money for impact players, you need to pay the most money to the players who have the biggest impact on the outcomes of games. tanny realizes this, which is why his top picks, ie, brick, sanchez and revis, are all top impact positions. he took a center and TE in late round 1. even the gholston pick - it is a high impact position, although that draft class was weak and it's certainly looking like he's not going to amount to anything.

by and large, any time you draft someone who turns out to be good, that's a good thing, regardless of round, and the later in the first round you're picking, the less important the position of that player. but compared to other positions, guard and safety aren't critical, and if players of similar grades are on the board, i would expect the jets to take a DE over a S in round 1 if the grades are equal.

have to block the tougher pass rushers.
    So? G's are taking on DTs, and pass rush starts up the middle....not to mention that G's have more to do in the run game.

I also think some drafting stereotypes are getting broken the last few years.
    +1,000,000

Draft stereotypes are convoluted and dumb, and slowly dying because of that. Kellen Winslow Jr...Vernon Davis...Sean Taylor...Steve Hutchinson...Alan Faneca...Davin Joseph...Ben Grubbs...Laron Landry...Ed Reed...Dallas Clark...Dustin Keller...all guys who play positions that "should never be drafted in the first because you can find those kind of guys later."
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-22-2010 at 12:48 PM.

i think that the position should be one consideration in selecting in round 1. there aren't many games where you say 'wow, that safety really beat us today.' besides reed and palomalu, safeties don't impact the game like other positions. when you are paying big money for impact players, you need to pay the most money to the players who have the biggest impact on the outcomes of games. tanny realizes this, which is why his top picks, ie, brick, sanchez and revis, are all top impact positions. he took a center and TE in late round 1. even the gholston pick - it is a high impact position, although that draft class was weak and it's certainly looking like he's not going to amount to anything.

by and large, any time you draft someone who turns out to be good, that's a good thing, regardless of round, and the later in the first round you're picking, the less important the position of that player. but compared to other positions, guard and safety aren't critical, and if players of similar grades are on the board, i would expect the jets to take a DE over a S in round 1 if the grades are equal.
    And that is exactly where we are drafting no? Great players make positions critical. Hey I'm not saying you go looking for safeties or o-lineman in the 1st round but if I'm looking at my draft board and see a great o-line prospect and I know within a year I'll need an o-lineman I will have no hesitation taking him rather than the 3rd best OLB or DE.

If player values are near equal then of course you take the guy that is good and fits a more immediate need if the values are not equal from your scouts then that is another case.

If the conversation in the war room goes like this then I know who I'm picking.

GM: "So we have the guard and the DE, who do we want?"
    Scout: "The DE is good, should be a fine player for us, not flashy but will get the job done. The guard is best pure guard prospect I've seen in 10 years."

Admittedly I'm a bit biased in favour of having the best o-line you can get. It solves or prevents so many problems for an offensive team. I also worry that sooner or later we will get hit by injuries up front. The Jets have been phenominally healthy on the o-line the last few years.

i may be in the minority here, but i believe that it's easier to draft a guy like slauson, groom him and stick him in between brick and mangold in 2 years and he'll do fine. i think it's harder to find a RT who can take on the elite blitzers who line up on the other side to exploit the slow RTs.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... i believe D-line should be & will be the pick ...

... after DT & DE i give a small window to OLB & CB if BAP is a significant better value ...

... i'd choose iupati over many of the other ideas being thrown around besides those i've mentioned at 29 ...

... this is trader mike though ... what are the odds we stay put at 29? ...

l_j_r

i may be in the minority here, but i believe that it's easier to draft a guy like slauson, groom him and stick him in between brick and mangold in 2 years and he'll do fine. i think it's harder to find a RT who can take on the elite blitzers who line up on the other side to exploit the slow RTs.
    Jacob Bender, Nate Garner...guys drafted late that did nothing.

Adriene Clark played between Mangold and D'Brick, it made both of them worse.

When you are strong in an area you can't assume that you can plug anyone into a spot.