Thread: Jets Showing Interest in Terrence Cody

Jets Showing Interest in Terrence Cody

The Jets have been paying close attention to Terrence Cody (AKA Mount Cody) the massive run stuffing Defensive Tackle from Alabama.

Ive been working really hard, Cody told the National Football Post during a telephone interview Saturday afternoon. When I came in at 348 pounds, it shocked a lot of people and I ran a better 40-yard dash.

Day in and day out, Im trying to get in better shape and keep the weight off and maintain my strength. This is the best shape Ive been in since high school, but this is me getting into good football shape.

The 6-foot-4 defensive lineman is scheduled to visit the Baltimore Ravens, the New York Jets and the San Diego Chargers. Hes regarded as the prototype run-stuffer for the 3-4 defense.

Because of concerns about his conditioning and stamina, there has been talk in NFL circles that Cody could go later in the first round.

Codys Pro Day was attended by every NFL team since the Crimson Tide feature several talented draft prospects.

It was attended by Jets coach Rex Ryan, New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin and Carolina Panthers coach John Fox.

Baltimore, San Diego and the Jets all pick in the mid to late 20s. While there were some serious concerns about Codys conditioning, hes clearly taking steps to show that hes trying.

Cody would be another interesting player for the Jets should be still be there at #29. While we all love Kris Jenkins, his ability to stay healthy is a concern, so someone like Cody could slowly work himself into the lineup but imagine if both Cody and Jenkins were on the field at the same time? Sucks to be an interior offensive lineman.

Posted on March 21st, 2010 by Bassett

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    If he's still there @ 29... the Jets grab him... no hesitation. I wouldn't be surprised if they moves up a couple spots to grab him before SD gets a shot.

fwiw, from ESPN insider:

Based on what we know, Cody projects to being a classic line-clogging nose tackle in a 3-4 defensive scheme, and according to Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times, there are at least three teams -- the Baltimore Ravens, New York Jets and San Diego Chargers -- that are going to host him for private visits prior to the draft.

In addition to those teams, Cody could be an option for the Arizona Cardinals in the tail end of the first round, as well as the Miami Dolphins if he slips into the second.

Veteran
    Mt Cody is the 2nd best DL in the draft' behind Suh of course. If he is available, you take him. Same with McClain or Berry. SEC stars usually make an impact as rookies.

Dan Williams > Cody

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Dan Williams > Cody

That might be true, but Dan Williams wont be on the board when the Jets pick...there is no way he gets past the Bills, Miami, Denver, and SD.

All League
    We won't move anywhere to get him unless it's 29, and you can bet that contract will have weight clauses all over it.

Jets just doing their homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Dan Williams > Cody
    Only in the sense that he's in better shape.

Williams is a good player, but it's unlikely he gets much better than he is now and teams are going to make that a factor. Williams is the "safe" pick, I guess.

Personally, I'd take Cody over Williams. More upside, bigger impact plays in college, bigger, younger....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post
    If he's still there @ 29... the Jets grab him... no hesitation. I wouldn't be surprised if they moves up a couple spots to grab him before SD gets a shot.
    oh my stars. we're not moving up for Cody.

If the Jets have a chance to take Cody at 29, I think they do it with little hesitation. We definitely can use some insurance behind Jenkins as well as a NT for the future. Players like this are very rare!!

All League
    How about reading between the lines:

Teams rarely actually draft the guys they bring in for personal workouts.

They are bringing in Cody to basically learn a little bit about the kid because the likelyhood of him going to a team that may stand between us and the playoffs is pretty good.

More importantly, the team who ultimately drafts Cody cuts him in about 2-3 years. Then Rex and Tanny can open the Cody file and then bring him in on the cheap after the kid has realized that his eating is going to kill his earning potetnial for the rest of his life.

Then in 2013, the Jets sign a very motivated Cody on the cheap. For real.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    How about reading between the lines:

Teams rarely actually draft the guys they bring in for personal workouts.
    got to be careful as teams are allowed 30 visits for the 5/6/7/8/9 picks they have...Jets did draft clemens off the strength of his ability to diagram plays off a board at Hofstra and after bringing Revis in decided he was their guy at all costs, so it's not completely irrelevant....

the deeper into the rounds you draft the more many of these workouts/visits mean...

for the record when a team brings someone it is just for an interview, medical, etc- they are not allowed to work the player out...if they want to work them out they must fly to the school or wherever the guy may be located to do so...

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock has noted most teams have graded Cody as a second-round pick

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock has noted most teams have graded Cody as a second-round pick
    and falling fast....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    and falling fast....
    Yay. Let's hope he falls to us at 61 and Tanny snatches him. That would be a heist. Ofcourse you'd have your period if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    and falling fast....
    The Sporting News magazine had him rated as a 7th round pick. I know, it's a rag, but I still like collecting all the Draft magazines every year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE View Post
    The Sporting News magazine had him rated as a 7th round pick. I know, it's a rag, but I still like collecting all the Draft magazines every year.
    I heard thee best line today when I asked someone at the 'Ole Miss pro-day if the Jets would draft Cody in the first or second round...the response?

the Jets will definitely not draft someone who's fatter then their coach