Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannenbaum: Jets will not use first-round pick on CB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Tannenbaum: Jets will not use first-round pick on CB

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/20/tann...nd-pick-on-cb/

Not only did the Jets’ trade for Antonio Cromartie give Darrelle Revis support at cornerback, it changed how the team will approach next month’s draft.

Before acquiring Cromartie from the Chargers three weeks ago, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum believed his only other option to upgrade the cornerback position was to use the team’s first-round pick, 29th overall.

“We thought corner was an absolute must,” Tannenbaum said on ESPN New York (via Sports Radio Interviews). “We felt that we had to improve that position. So Cromartie was the key to the offseason because, looking at our options, it was the Cromartie trade -– or it was the 29th pick in the draft. To get that out of the way, we really enhanced our draft because now we can say that whatever happens in the draft, we can take whoever we want. Move up, move down we can get what we want. Without Cromartie, at the 29th pick in the draft, we would have taken a corner.”

Our experts agree with Tannenbaum and believe the Jets now will target wide receivers who can help QB Mark Sanchez at No. 29. Bucky Brooks has Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas going to the Jets in his latest mock draft, and Pat Kirwan likes Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant in that spot.

The Jets’ lack of need at cornerback might be good for the Vikings, who hold the No. 30 pick and need help in the secondary. Brooks has Rutgers CB Devin McCourty heading to Minnesota, and Kirwan pegs USC safety Taylor Mays to wear purple.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    S, WR, or DL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 51 VILMA 51 View Post

The Jets’ lack of need at cornerback might be good for the Vikings, who hold the No. 30 pick and need help in the secondary. Brooks has Rutgers CB Devin McCourty heading to Minnesota, and Kirwan pegs USC safety Taylor Mays to wear purple.
    Mays won't get past #29

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    de, olb or ol for sure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SackDancer99 View Post
    Mays won't get past #29

Do you think Mr T. might move up to get Mays? Baltimore could go after Mays

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe anything he says.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post

Would not shock me that this is a huge smoke screen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    I'd rather they pass on Mays all together and go after Nate Allen if we are going to go safety at #29

I think WR or DL is #29.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum also said Kerry Rhodes would be a Jet, a day before trading him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fullblast View Post
    And that there was no chance of Favre becoming a Jet.

And that they were happy with the QBs going into last season before they traded for Sanchez.

This is Tanny's MO. I don't think the Jets are going CB at 29, but it still wouldn't shock me, especially now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    We expect Kerry Rhodes back next year unless something changes, and he will receive his $2 Mil roster bonus next week (yeah right). He'll probably go CB and then say "something changed".

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    except for that would be retarded

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of mocks have Mays going at 21 to the Bengals too. Marvin Lewis prefers Trojans .

Mr. T has proven to target players and aggressively go after them. If Rex really wants him then I wouldn't be surprised to see us move up.

Either way, Mays doesn't get past 29.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that he's said we're not drafting a CB with #29 pick, the odds that WE ARE has just increased.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    BPA! BPA! BPA! BPA!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Tanny was saying is that without the Cromartie trade, CB would have been a necessity at 29. Not it is not mandatory, but if the BAP at 29 is a corner, then don't bet against it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fullblast View Post
    He said paraphrasing, "unless something changes" which it did when Rolle signed with the Giants..

However, where in this article does Tannebaum say the Jets will not use their 1st round pick on a CB?

It basically says now they can take whomever they want.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As some have pointed out the OP is misleading everyone with the thread title (do you work for Florio?). All that was said was that drafting a CB at 29 was an absolute neccessity prior to the trade for Cromartie. Now the team is in a position to take the best player available.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 51 VILMA 51 View Post

Not only did the Jets’ trade for Antonio Cromartie give Darrelle Revis support at cornerback, it changed how the team will approach next month’s draft.

Before acquiring Cromartie from the Chargers three weeks ago, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum believed his only other option to upgrade the cornerback position was to use the team’s first-round pick, 29th overall.

“We thought corner was an absolute must,” Tannenbaum said on ESPN New York (via Sports Radio Interviews). “We felt that we had to improve that position. So Cromartie was the key to the offseason because, looking at our options, it was the Cromartie trade -– or it was the 29th pick in the draft. To get that out of the way, we really enhanced our draft because now we can say that whatever happens in the draft, we can take whoever we want. Move up, move down we can get what we want. Without Cromartie, at the 29th pick in the draft, we would have taken a corner.”

Our experts agree with Tannenbaum and believe the Jets now will target wide receivers who can help QB Mark Sanchez at No. 29. Bucky Brooks has Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas going to the Jets in his latest mock draft, and Pat Kirwan likes Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant in that spot.

If the best available player at 29 is a CB, they'll take him. All Tannenbaum was saying is now they don't need to reach for a CB.

And it better not be Mays at 29. I want no part of him.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    If the best available player at 29 is a CB, they'll take him. All Tannenbaum was saying is now they don't need to reach for a CB.

And it better not be Mays at 29. I want no part of him.
    agreed...draft is more than a month away....no team has set anything in stone at this point...