Thread: new ref line up ?????

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

new ref line up ?????

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5016012[/url]

NFL moves umpires for safety's sakeEmail Print Comments 9Share7retweet36By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN
    Archive
    ORLANDO -- The NFL will permanently reposition umpires to the offensive backfield beginning with the upcoming 2010 season, in a move designed to protect its most vulnerable on-field officials, the league confirmed Sunday at the annual owners meetings.

Outgoing vice president of officiating Mike Pereira and his successor, Carl Johnson, revealed the plans Sunday in an interview. A league official added that the competition committee unanimously recommended the move last week but it had not been yet publicly announced.

The change does not require a vote of ownership and only commissioner Roger Goodell could reverse the decision.

Pereira said umpires -- who traditionally have been positioned on the defensive side, 4 or 5 yards from the line of scrimmage, just behind the linebackers and between the tackles -- were knocked down by players more than 100 times in 2009. Two umpires suffered concussions and three needed surgeries for knee or shoulder injuries.

"The No. 1 reason for change is safety," said Pereira, who retired after the 2009 season but will help Johnson with the transition through at least May 1.

Johnson said that umpires will be re-trained at the league's offseason clinics and seminars because they will carry out their responsibilities from the offensive backfield, just opposite of the referee. Pereira and Johnson both said the umpires may have to be more athletic to accomplish their tasks.

Chris Mortensen is a senior ESPN NFL analyst.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder where they will be positioned so that they dont disrupt the offensive flow. They my be able to avoid most running plays or even a qb rollout but what about an end around or reverse. How far away from the play can they be and still officiate effectively?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    These guys know what they are getting into.

I want my Refs positioned for max. accuracy, not for the safety of some weekend warrior striped shirt.

My enjoyment as a football fan comes first, in case they didnt know.

A good body slam of a limp ref. just adds to the experience I pay for.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    the next repositioning should be to reposition Walt Coleman as an ex-referee and let him take over his new and preferred position as the replacement for Pat Patriot

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    repositioning the refs will hurt teams (patsies) that use the refs to pick off or disrupt the defensive flow to the ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;3533459]repositioning the refs will hurt teams (patsies) that use the refs to pick off or disrupt the defensive flow to the ball.[/QUOTE]

It's actually designed to have a ref as close as possible to Tom Brady so he can more easily whine for flags anytime there's contact on him while he's playing FOOTBALL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    there will either be fewer offensive holding calls, or incorrect calls to compensate

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Prediction

This will result in more O-Line holding penalties and fewer blow to the head calls against D Linemen

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;3533459]repositioning the refs will hurt teams (patsies) that use the refs to pick off or disrupt the defensive flow to the ball.[/QUOTE]

+1 :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The article I read on this mentioned that receivers try to use the umpire for a pick. Bellilint will probably be upset about this.