Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lav Coles... perfect for the slot?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;3533478]the guy still caught 450 yards and 5 TD's last year as a number three. I can't see how he wouldn't succeed in the slot for us, the guy is tough as nails and never shies away from contact, he may not run in the 4.2's anymore but heck he's still plenty fast in my opinion, can't hurt to squeeze another year from him.[/QUOTE]

This guy is slow as ****. Even when he was younger, he didn't play all that fast.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give me someone young and hungry. Coles is a me first player and the game has passed him by. I'd rather draft a young receiver who might put up 700 yards in the slot and prove to be a beast for the future than try to squeeze production out of an old WR who's one good hit from the IR... who also refused to get a toe surgery which has dramatically slowed his game down and also has suffered from inconsistent hands. No thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;3533754]This guy is slow as ****. Even when he was younger, he didn't play all that fast.[/QUOTE]

Being a slot WR isn't really about being Fast (At least not the Poor-Mans Welker type that many people seem to envision), Welker wouldn't run better then a 4.6 if you had him run the 40 (When he was healthy, that is). It's about being able to find holes in zone coverages, being able to out-quick some linebackers (And as much speed as Coles has lost, he can still do this much), and being willing to run routes over the middle of the field. Coles has the veteran savvy to do such a role for a year or two.

Really though, the reason it makes sense is because he provides a bit of a veteran mentor for A) A Rookie Reciever who unless we go overkill and select one in Round 1 or 2, probably won't be ready to contribute right away and B) He could even be a positive influence on a guy like Edwards, lets not forget Coles has overcome his own personal issues in the past with the FSU incident.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3533777]
    Really though, the reason it makes sense is because he provides a bit of a veteran mentor for A) A Rookie Reciever who unless we go overkill and select one in Round 1 or 2, probably won't be ready to contribute right away and B) He could even be a positive influence on a guy like Edwards, lets not forget Coles has overcome his own personal issues in the past with the FSU incident.[/QUOTE]

I don't want Coles to mentor anyone on this team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassin;3533783]I don't want Coles to mentor anyone on this team.[/QUOTE]

+10000000

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the hate some have here for Coles is unwarranted. I think he is misunderstood and has had comments taken out of context. Of course he would make a great 3rd receiver. His experience even helped Chad Ocho get back on track. The only concern really is, as others have said, concussions. He is seriously one hit away. Didn't anyone catch the last one he had against us during the playoffs? I would like to see Allison out there if healthy. We need more big bodies like the Saints. Definitely go for Kevin Curtis if we have to go outside.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, apparently wanting more money makes you a bad guy now.

People act like he's a diva, when nothing could be further from the truth. :rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3533724]I support Coles as a temporary solution to the Slot Position. His production last year in a #3 role was and is vastly superior to any on-roster #3 we currently have. He is an unquestionable upgrade at #3 WR.

While I have no problem drafting a WR for the slot, it is simply not a vital need, and cannot cost us a high-round pick. If we can do better than Coles in the 5th or later, great, do it. If not, snag Coles, and draft WR next year.

We have other more pressing needs in the road to a title IMO than #3 WR.[/QUOTE]

I see your point but if Golden Tate is sitting there at 29, (depending who else is there at a position of need) I don't see how you pass up on him. This guy looks like the second coming of Steve Smith, that is the Panthers version. Plus he returns kicks just in case Leon is not fully recovered.

I mean imagine Cotch, Edwards, and Tate along with Keller and Smith plus LT and Washington out of the backfield. Wow, our passing game would truly ELITE.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3533803]Yeah, apparently wanting more money makes you a bad guy now.

People act like he's a diva, when nothing could be further from the truth. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

First off, Coles is a diva. He's complained everywhere he's been and has been rejected by 3 different teams now. I understand and sympathize with his personal situations. I'm sure he's really a good person at heart. But as a football player, sorry I don't want him. Sulking about losing Chad Pennington? Come on. That was BS. Friends or not, Chad Pennington isn't even starting for the Dolphags and if he couldn't see the big picture then his football IQ is close to zilch.

Purely as a football player I see him in the same boat as the Torry Holt type players in the NFL. They were good, they will probably get you around 350-400 yards receiving. But that's their max and they are old. IMO, that's a waste of a roster spot. You want guys with potential, not guys with set ceilings of 400 yards receiving and their only potential being for a season ending injury. Draft a young guy, hell Stuckey had similar production as Coles did last year when playing in the slot here in 2008 and he was a 7th round pick. You're telling me we can't find another player like that to put up that kind of production for cheaper and who has an unknown "diamond in the rough" type of potential?

Sorry, give a young guy a chance. We have plenty of veterans in the WR corps with Braylon and Cotchery. Personally, Cotchery I think is the ultimate example on and off the field with his production and professionalism. I want Cotchery taking a young guy under his wing, which is what he did with Stuckey, more so than Coles sulking about his role or some other problem he's going to have. Make no mistake, he's going to be upset about something.

Sometimes we as fans have to realize that the game has passed certain players by. I feel like the game has passed Coles by. He was great once upon a time. It's time to move on and find another player that can help us produce.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3533825]First off, Coles is a diva. He's complained everywhere he's been and has been rejected by 3 different teams now. I understand and sympathize with his personal situations. I'm sure he's really a good person at heart. But as a football player, sorry I don't want him. Sulking about losing Chad Pennington? Come on. That was BS. Friends or not, Chad Pennington isn't even starting for the Dolphags and if he couldn't see the big picture then his football IQ is close to zilch.

Purely as a football player I see him in the same boat as the Torry Holt type players in the NFL. They were good, they will probably get you around 350-400 yards receiving. But that's their max and they are old. IMO, that's a waste of a roster spot. You want guys with potential, not guys with set ceilings of 400 yards receiving and their only potential being for a season ending injury. Draft a young guy, hell Stuckey had similar production as Coles did last year when playing in the slot here in 2008 and he was a 7th round pick. You're telling me we can't find another player like that to put up that kind of production for cheaper and who has an unknown "diamond in the rough" type of potential?

Sorry, give a young guy a chance. We have plenty of veterans in the WR corps with Braylon and Cotchery. Personally, Cotchery I think is the ultimate example on and off the field with his production and professionalism. I want Cotchery taking a young guy under his wing, which is what he did with Stuckey, more so than Coles sulking about his role or some other problem he's going to have. Make no mistake, he's going to be upset about something.

Sometimes we as fans have to realize that the game has passed certain players by. I feel like the game has passed Coles by. He was great once upon a time. It's time to move on and find another player that can help us produce.[/QUOTE]

+100000000 great post

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cornjulio21;3533711]He's one head shot away from joining Chrebet in the stands.

No thanks...he won't be there at crunch time.[/QUOTE]

Corn -o is a wise man

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cornjulio21;3533711]He's one head shot away from joining Chrebet in the stands.

[U][B]No thanks...he won't be there at crunch time[/B][/U].[/QUOTE]

Exactly, who dropped that long perfect bomb from Favre against Seattle to end the miserable '08 season?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy is one hit away from being done and you want to put him in the slot "no thanks" I would pass on Coles. If Tate is there at 29 grab him he has the body type and quickness to fill the void.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much as I liked Coles back in the day for his fierce playing style, I've grown tired of his act. No thanks, we can fill this position elsewhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    no thank you

his whining, complaining and baloney in the locker room got him kicked out of here twice.

no three strikes on that match

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3533825]First off, Coles is a diva. He's complained everywhere he's been and has been rejected by 3 different teams now. I understand and sympathize with his personal situations. I'm sure he's really a good person at heart. But as a football player, sorry I don't want him. Sulking about losing Chad Pennington? Come on. That was BS. Friends or not, Chad Pennington isn't even starting for the Dolphags and if he couldn't see the big picture then his football IQ is close to zilch.

Sometimes we as fans have to realize that the game has passed certain players by. I feel like the game has passed Coles by. He was great once upon a time. It's time to move on and find another player that can help us produce.[/QUOTE]

nicely said.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3533485]I'm beginning to come around to the idea that the best scenario for us is to bring back someone like Coles on a 1 year deal, AND draft a slot WR in the mid rounds to groom behind him.[/QUOTE]
    this seems the most sensible to me. plus, if clowney emerges as a good wr, he can be the 3rd wr and cotchery goes to the slot when clowney comes in. then, the jets can cut coles and develop the new wr. if clowney doesn't step up, then cut him instead. i see coles as a good fit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets80;3533844]The guy is one hit away from being done and you want to put him in the slot "no thanks" I would pass on Coles. If Tate is there at 29 grab him he has the body type and quickness to fill the void.[/QUOTE]

TATE would be sick #3 WR behind Cotchery and Edwards. Exactly what the doctor ordered!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3533545]Thrashers fan?[/QUOTE]

Devils fan. I put up the pic of Kovalchuk when they made the trade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets_Fragger;3533836]+100000000 great post[/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3533879]nicely said.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys.

[QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3533973]Devils fan. I put up the pic of Kovalchuk when they made the trade.[/QUOTE]

Bet your wishing you had Oduya and Bergfors back. They've been really really instrumental for us. We appreciate it. :D