Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lav Coles... perfect for the slot?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3533777]Being a slot WR isn't really about being Fast (At least not the Poor-Mans Welker type that many people seem to envision), Welker wouldn't run better then a 4.6 if you had him run the 40 (When he was healthy, that is). It's about being able to find holes in zone coverages, being able to out-quick some linebackers (And as much speed as Coles has lost, he can still do this much), and being willing to run routes over the middle of the field. Coles has the veteran savvy to do such a role for a year or two.

Really though, the reason it makes sense is because he provides a bit of a veteran mentor for A) A Rookie Reciever who unless we go overkill and select one in Round 1 or 2, probably won't be ready to contribute right away and B) He could even be a positive influence on a guy like Edwards, lets not forget Coles has overcome his own personal issues in the past with the FSU incident.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with that at all. I was just responding to the original post that pointed out that he used to have 4.2 speed. The guy was never an explosive player. Kind of reminds me of Joseph Addai who ran the 40 in the 4.3s but plays no where near that fast.

With that said, Coles probably can play the slot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Southside's right on the money.
    We'd be panicking in week 3 about having to replace Coles in the slot after a concussion.

[QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3533973]Devils fan. I put up the pic of Kovalchuk when they made the trade.[/QUOTE]

I had just realized that's probably what that was about.
    I'm from Atl and have been a Thrashers fan from their beginning, but I like the Devils too.
    I've actually been to a couple Devils/Thrashers games in Atl and I never know who to root for. Funny they've ended up tied all but once. (Thrashers took that one)
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 03-22-2010 at 04:40 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3533988]I had just realized that's probably what that was about.
    I'm from Atl and have been a Thrashers fan from their beginning, but I like the Devils too.
    I've actually been to a couple Devils/Thrashers games in Atl and I never know who to root for. Funny they've ended up tied all but once. (Thrashers took that one)[/QUOTE]

Still live in ATL?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3533989]Still live in ATL?[/QUOTE]

Nah, Boston.
    I hope the Thrashers kick the Bruins right in the ass tomorrow!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3534007]Nah, Boston.
    I hope the Thrashers kick the Bruins right in the ass tomorrow![/QUOTE]

Definitely going to be the most important game this team has faced in years.

I can see the headlines on Weds morning: "Beantown Beatdown!"

I was going to go to the game but my tix source is taken. I'm guessing that's gonna be a pretty packed game when I can't get my freebies.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3534087]Definitely going to be the most important game this team has faced in years.

I can see the headlines on Weds morning: "Beantown Beatdown!"

I was going to go to the game but my tix source is taken. I'm guessing that's gonna be a pretty packed game when I can't get my freebies.[/QUOTE]

Call up the Wax Man. He's gonna be on the bench.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It couldnt hurt signing Coles bc the jets are down a WR right now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, we don't need Mr. Concussion to go across the middle.:eek:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3533562]I would rather draft a player for the slot than bring back Coles. He is a whiner and has had injury problems the past few season.[/QUOTE]

i agree... and lets not forget the concussion bug he had also... but i blame pennington partially for that as well.. :yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;3533754]This guy is slow as ****. Even when he was younger, he didn't play all that fast.[/QUOTE]

Slot receivers don't necessarily need blazing speed. It's more about route running, taking contact and blocking. I don't think it's a terrible idea though I only want Coles here on a 1 year deal at a low price.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Coles seems to still have all those attributes. He is at the end, but might have another year left. If he doesnít get KOíed.

He is an emergency fall back who will probably do a good job.

Jets wonít do anything with him till after the draft. I donít think that the FO considers WR as much a priority as we as fans do, but if a WR falls to them in the early rounds, they will take him.

If not. Itís Coles

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO

he's already worn out his welcome twice

let somebody else suffer

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3534435]NO

let somebody else suffer[/QUOTE]

I agree and Coles is a pest in the lockeroom too. Why not take a young guy with great speed to play the slot in the draft( GOLDEN TATE)? That speed will help open running lanes. He would have to be accounted for by the defense. COLES is slow but tough. One concussion away from retirement. We should be developing players for the future , not bring in guys from our past.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually think Coles would thrive as a slot guy, again, he's tough as nails. This talk about him complaining is crap... come gameday, the guy straps them up and plays as tough as they come, love him out there blocking for the running game, taking a lateral pass here and there, the kid's a gamer and he's still putting up decent numbers... we're talking #3 here guys, I think he's ideal for us and he wants to come back, if he's healthy and in shape... Why the fck not? He knows he will have to shut up and play and I think he will do just that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3533803]Yeah, apparently wanting more money makes you a bad guy now.

People act like he's a diva, when nothing could be further from the truth. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I agree, the reason he left was for more money, can't fault him for that, he was a trooper when he was here, helped Chad out tremendously and took some wicked hits going over the middle. Favre and him never got along but at the middle of the 08 season he was really clicking, I still think there's still gas in that tank... The guy's seen it all. Only a couple of years ago he was our most explosive weapon on offense... I'm talking 07... That's only 2 season's ago. He's lost some yes, and the hits are starting to add up but the kid is tough as nails and he loves to strap them and play the game right. He's one guy that would elevate the play of the WR's with his leadership. Cotch and him always got along.

By the way, I'm not saying not to go out and get a Golden Tate or a Thomas, just saying it couldn't hurt to have another weapon for Mark and on the cheap. I would take him over Clowney in a heartbeat, Coles can even return kicks if asked to... Fck yeah I want him back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3534435]NO

let somebody else suffer[/QUOTE]

Fist time Washington threw buckets of cash at him... and the Jets didn't want to resign him after he had a coming out season. Then last year they didn't want to resign him. I think that was a big mistake... Coles is better than Stuckey and I loved Stuckey. Braylon is our number one now, but Coles would make a heck of a number 3 for us. Even last year he put up 450 and 5 TD's... Solid #3 numbers. Clowney can't do that here.