Thread: The Pacific War WWII in Photos

The Pacific War WWII in Photos

[url]http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/03/18/captured-blog-the-pacific-and-adjacent-theaters/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+dp-blogs-captured+(Denver+Post:+Blogs:+Captured+Photo+Blog)&utm_content=Google+Reader[/url]

Thank you for posting, some great shots.

This one stood out.

[IMG]http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-101361/cache/pacific083.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1269220692[/IMG]

All Pro
    awesome link

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

thanks for the link

burial at sea aboard the USS Intrepid after a kamikazee attack...the same Intrepid now on NYC's West Side

[IMG]http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-101361/cache/pacific075.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1269271169[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    Thank you very much for the link...

obtw
    War Sucks.

Picture #6 was one gnarly mess. Great post.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Thanks for the link. Its a real awakening to see photos like these.

Im guilty of taking our liberties for granted, without truly remembering and respecting our fallen soldiers that made it possible.

Reminds me what my mom used to tell me all the time "You dont know how lucky you are, and how easy you have it"

[IMG]http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-101361/cache/pacific024.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1269271167[/IMG]

[img]http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-101361/cache/pacific053.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1269271168[/img]

:yes:

[QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3533917]Thanks for the link. Its a real awakening to see photos like these.

Im guilty of taking our liberties for granted, without truly remembering and respecting our fallen soldiers that made it possible.

Reminds me what my mom used to tell me all the time "You dont know how lucky you are, and how easy you have it"

[IMG]http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-101361/cache/pacific024.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1269271167[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Images like this are disturbing.

I understand the importance of 'the message' they can deliver. However, having a grandfather that died in the war, I'd prefer not to know the intracacies of how and to perhaps stumble across photographic evidence of the tragic event.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3533925]Images like this are disturbing.

I understand the importance of 'the message' they can deliver. However, having a grandfather that died in the war, [B]I'd prefer not to know the intracacies of how and to perhaps stumble across photographic evidence of the tragic event[/B].[/QUOTE]

Completely understandable.

Sorry to just copy the pic up there without warning.

Your Grandfather was undoubtedly a hero and gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country.

I used to work with somebody that was actually at Pearl Harbor when the Japs bombed it. he said it was raining sailors.

And Tarawa had to be the worst. 4k dead on a tiny atoll about 1 square mile large.. :(

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3533925]Images like this are disturbing.

I understand the importance of 'the message' they can deliver. However, having a grandfather that died in the war, I'd prefer not to know the intracacies of how and to perhaps stumble across photographic evidence of the tragic event.[/QUOTE]

Our differences aside, perhaps your Grandfather is better honored with people understanding the incredibly difficult task he and his comrades were charged with. These guys didn't have the understanding of malaria with the archaic medicine at the time. That, compounded by the obvious danger of fighting a war I don't envy what your Grandfather had to do.
    Do you know what theater your Grandfather served in? Pacific/European? My Grandfather was lucky enough to survive 27 missions as a bomber pilot over Berlin (B-17).

[QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3533936]Completely understandable.

Sorry to just copy the pic up there without warning.

Your Grandfather was undoubtedly a hero and gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate it.

[QUOTE=Greaser;3533946]Our differences aside, perhaps your Grandfather is better honored with people understanding the incredibly difficult task he and his comrades were charged with. These guys didn't have the understanding of malaria with the archaic medicine at the time. That, compounded by the obvious danger of fighting a war I don't envy what your Grandfather had to do.
    Do you know what theater your Grandfather served in? Pacific/European? My Grandfather was lucky enough to survive 27 missions as a bomber pilot over Berlin (B-17).[/QUOTE]

We have differences :i_dont_kn

Veteran
    Thanks for the link! Incredible pictures!

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. He made the ultimate sacrifice for his country.

My dad fought in France and Germany. I have some pictures he took on base, but nothing in combat. Still pretty incredible what all those guys went through.

Dad would have been 90 yesterday. He survived the war but passed away at the early age of 49.

RIP and a great Thank You to my father, your grandfather, and our soldiers of all generations.

Unbelievable.

I understand why some may not want to view. My Dad was in the Pacific in the Navy and told only funny stories. The rest, he didn't care to discuss.

On the other hand, people have to be reminded the cost of freedom. We owe the greatest debt of gratitude to those men.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Humbling, heartbreaking.

The greatest generation.