Thread: Art or the dumbest thing you've ever seen?

Art or the dumbest thing you've ever seen?

[URL="https://www.madisonsquarepark.org/programs/madsqart.aspx"]https://www.madisonsquarepark.org/programs/madsqart.aspx[/URL]

So the Madison Square Park Conservatory is promoting an "art exhibit' where a bunch of random, life size statues are scattered all over the Flatiron district, many of which are on the edge of buildings 15 to 30 stories up.

Am I the only one that sees hundreds of pointless 911 calls to the city switchboard over the next couple of weeks? If anyone is in the area go outside and look up, it really looks like someone is ready to jump.

All Pro
    Was thinking the same thing when I heard about this. The report said that the police had to put out a release informing the public of what was going on. My thing is this...if you have to look up that far to see it (and prolly can't see it all that well), HTF can you appreciate the art???

Jets Insider VIP
    I dunno. I grew up on the property of Storm King Art Center...so I've seen some pretty dumb art.

I really liked the abstract pieces that the artists never named. "Untitled". WTF?

Art lost a lot of integrity when it became a profitable profession. Now many artists care more about making the front page than their own philosophies. While this artist's explanation of his work sounds interesting, he undoubtedly knew that he was going to draw a lot of hysteria by putting statues of people on the edges of rooftops, which of course captures more press and eventually more $$$.

the gates in central park were really stupid. what was worse was the people who who tried to make sense out of it to try to sound sophisticated.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;3533839]the gates in central park were really stupid. what was worse was the people who who tried to make sense out of it to try to sound sophisticated.[/QUOTE]

More importantly, who's in your avatar??? :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    meh - I work right across the street and they've put up worse in Madison Square Park:

1 year it was large concrete blocks on the grass

2 years ago it was large resin shapes (among others, a giant gyro, and a vagina)

:shakehead

[QUOTE=quantum;3533868]meh - I work right across the street and they've put up worse in Madison Square Park:

1 year it was large concrete blocks on the grass

2 years ago it was large resin shapes (among others, a giant gyro, and a vagina)

:shakehead[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about the tree houses last summer or the aluminum trees, either. It gets worse everytime.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SINYJets;3533872]Don't forget about the tree houses last summer or the aluminum trees, either. It gets worse everytime.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah - I thought for sure there would be homeless dudes up there peeing on people who passed by underneath. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SINYJets;3533872]Don't forget about the tree houses last summer or the aluminum trees, either. It gets worse everytime.[/QUOTE]

And what was the deal with that array of floodlights or whatever they were last year, all positioned in an arc? I walk through that park every morning and I honestly don't know what I'll see from one day to the next.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3533938]And what was the deal with that array of floodlights or whatever they were last year, all positioned in an arc? I walk through that park every morning and I honestly don't know what I'll see from one day to the next.[/QUOTE]

who knows. I remember the colored boxes display cost the city $125k - not bad for "art".

Rookie
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3533832]I dunno. I grew up on the property of Storm King Art Center...so I've seen some pretty dumb art.

I really liked the abstract pieces that the artists never named. "Untitled". WTF?[/QUOTE]

Funny while I was in Dr.s' office yesterday, picked up the print copy of this magazine with Storm King in it. Not sure why no pictures though on the web site.

[url]http://www.orangemagazineny.com/orange_magazine_Monumental-Museum.html[/url]