Thread: Jets Eyeing Illinois Receiver?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Eyeing Illinois Receiver?

According to reports, it looks like Jets WR coach Henry Ellard was in attendance last week at the Illinois pro day to watch early round prospect Arrelious Benn.

While Illinois may not have produced a good record last season (3-9), it still managed to develop several elite prospects. The best of those players is WR Arrelious Benn (6-foot 7/8, 218 pounds), who performed for wide receiver coaches from the Bengals, Jets, Patriots, Browns and Dolphins. Benn was put through intense position drills after the workout, running routes and catching balls for an extra hour and 15 minutes.

As for the workout, Benn had a sensational outing. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 and 4.40 seconds, had a 37 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump, a 4.32-second short shuttle and a 6.79-second three-cone drill.

Last year, when the Jets had the 17th pick, the team sent Henry Ellard to scout Percy Harvin, DHB, and Jeremy Maclin among others. While he was in Urbana, we wouldn’t blame Ellard if his eye wandered to WR Jeff Cumberland – who looks to be a late round (6th or 7th round) pick that might interest the Jets.

E. Weeks wrote about Benn last month. In their most recent mocks, Kiper currently has Benn ranked 27th, and going 21st overall. McShay does not have Benn in the first round.

Posted on March 22nd, 2010 by Bassett

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy has gone under the radar a bit lately. I have no idea what to think about him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets are going to "eye" every prospect from now until the draft...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    benn is underrated... better pick at 61 than 29 but i doubt he makes it that far down the board.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post

Eye think you're right

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    benn is underrated... better pick at 61 than 29 but i doubt he makes it that far down the board.
    True (not the underrated part, he's right where he should be) but that 29 doesn't bode for us taking a WR.

Besides the fact that we don't need one that badly, 29 is too early for guys like Benn, Williams, Decker etc, but they'll all be gone at 61

Next year there's plenty of juice to squeeze

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    True (not the underrated part, he's right where he should be) but that 29 doesn't bode for us taking a WR.

Besides the fact that we don't need one that badly, 29 is too early for guys like Benn, Williams, Decker etc, but they'll all be gone at 61

Next year there's plenty of juice to squeeze
    Decker will be gone by 61? The guy has never been considered one of the top WRs and he's been injured this whole offseason. I liked the guy when I've seen him play, but considering the WRs out there, I'll be shocked if he goes in the first 2 rounds.

Re Benn, for whatever reason, I always though he was taller. I think I often confuse Benn and Lafell's measurables for some reason. 6'1 220 ain't to shabby though. Especially when running a 4.42.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don't think the jets would consider benn in the first round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Decker will be gone by 61? The guy has never been considered one of the top WRs and he's been injured this whole offseason. I liked the guy when I've seen him play, but considering the WRs out there, I'll be shocked if he goes in the first 2 rounds.

Re Benn, for whatever reason, I always though he was taller. I think I often confuse Benn and Lafell's measurables for some reason. 6'1 220 ain't to shabby though. Especially when running a 4.42.
    well maybe i'm pushing it with Decker ya. But he's right there after the first wave of Bryant,Thomas,Benn,Tate,Williams. He could easily be the next guy that goes off the board. Mayock's been tooting Decker's horn as of late, and there's stock in the idea of taking a more "prototypical" WR than spending a 2nd pick on the some of the gadget/undersized/situational WRs.

They'll be a run on WRs in the 2nd rnd

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    Exactly. They'll go to a ton of pro days, they interviewed many people at the combine. They'll probably bring in 20 guys (at least) for personal workouts.

At the end of draft weekend, they'll probably have 4 or 5 new players, 1 or 2 of which they either didn't interview or didn't invite to a workout.

If someone made a list of everyone they worked out or interviewed or saw at a pro day, they'd end up with a list of probably 120 - 180 people. Who knows - maybe more! My gut tells me we'll end up with 4 from a trade up scenario. To me that seems to be about 2 or 3 percent of the "names" someone could compile.

But who am I kidding - all this speculation is fun.

Don't believe a word the Jets say, and don't believe that they're interested if they work someone out - Just believe that we have a FO who does ALL their homework.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJoe View Post
    Exactly. They'll go to a ton of pro days, they interviewed many people at the combine. They'll probably bring in 20 guys (at least) for personal workouts.

At the end of draft weekend, they'll probably have 4 or 5 new players, 1 or 2 of which they either didn't interview or didn't invite to a workout.

If someone made a list of everyone they worked out or interviewed or saw at a pro day, they'd end up with a list of probably 120 - 180 people. Who knows - maybe more! My gut tells me we'll end up with 4 from a trade up scenario. To me that seems to be about 2 or 3 percent of the "names" someone could compile.

But who am I kidding - all this speculation is fun.

Don't believe a word the Jets say, and don't believe that they're interested if they work someone out - Just believe that we have a FO who does ALL their homework.
    Obviously.

... I mean that's what this sh!t is all about

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Demaryius Thomas
    Dez Bryant
    Golden Tate
    Damian Williams
    Mardy Gilyard

WR's that I favor over Benn.