Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leon doesn't show for "Voluntary" workouts, Edwards, B. Smith, Ihedigbo sign tenders

All League
    More good news...

[QUOTE]LT off to great start- LaDainian Tomlinson is off to a great start with Gang Green as he reported early for team workouts.[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3534029]Thnx for the update.

Just a fans viewpoint, but why does it seem Leon wants to be anywhere BUT with the Jets?

[B]Why cant these 2 sides come together and get something done?[/B]
    :steamin:[/QUOTE]

What is the Jets impetus for getting something done? Leon is coming off a serious injury, he can't go anywhere without us getting fair compensation and we just signed a guy that can serve in his role (as 3rd down back) if need be. Also, he's 28 yrs old and may very well still be under the Jets control in 2011, depending on the CBA. Not sure if they want to extend a guy into his 30s when he relies on his quickness and is coming off of Leon's injury. Better to play it out and see what happens.

[QUOTE=crasherino]Why did we need to tender Edwards at a 1st and a 3rd? A bit of overkill if you ask me. We traded a 3rd, a 5th and two marginal players for Edwards. If we tendered him as a 1st and someone signed him, that would mean that we got half a year's production out of him plus a 1st rounder for our 3rd/5th and Trusnik and Stuckey. I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. We'd also save $2 million if no one signed him. That's a decent amount of coin.[/QUOTE]

Not that I don't necessarily agree with this but perhaps they're overpaying for the gaurantee of continuity with Sanchez on both the #1 and #2 receivers.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=BLEEDgreenN'white;3534041]More good news...[/QUOTE]

That is good news, Daddy likey! :yes:

I need to get him on my Madden team! :P

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3534049]Not that I don't necessarily agree with this but perhaps they're overpaying for the gaurantee of continuity with Sanchez on both the #1 and #2 receivers.[/QUOTE]

Good point indeed. :yes:
    Last edited by RageATL; 03-22-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Alvin Keels.... every time I hear that idiots name it cracks me up.......

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3534042]What is the Jets impetus for getting something done? Leon is coming off a serious injury, he can't go anywhere without us getting fair compensation and we just signed a guy that can serve in his role (as 3rd down back) if need be. Also, he's 28 yrs old and may very well still be under the Jets control in 2011, depending on the CBA. Not sure if they want to extend a guy into his 30s when he relies on his quickness and is coming off of Leon's injury. Better to play it out and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

You are right on all points, but I think Leon brings alot to the table...(of course im assuming he's 100%)

1. While LT is great at catching balls out of the backfield, he lacks the explosiveness and slip sliding that Leon has.

2. KO Returns.

3. He is familiar with the system. I dont think a rookie could step in and be as productive as Leon the first year.

4.His smashing block on Channing Crowder last year.:P (kidding, but it was nice)

Still, I agree with your points...the Jets hold the leverage on Leon, and possibly this is what he is upset with. I imagine hes looking for a new team to get the guaranteed money up front.

Id like to see leon here for 2-3 more years.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3534049]Not that I don't necessarily agree with this but perhaps they're overpaying for the gaurantee of continuity with Sanchez on both the #1 and #2 receivers.[/QUOTE]

that's what i'm thinking; they'd rather not lose Edwards so why risk it (Coles/Pennington in 2003 offseason)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3534072]4.His smashing block on Channing Crowder last year.:P (kidding, but it was nice)[/QUOTE]

I love watching that block! :yes:

Unless Keels is blatantly lying about Leon's rehab, by the time June 1st rolls around the injury may no longer be a factor - Leon may very likely demonstrate that he's 100%. If that's the case, the "coming off a horrible injury" factor is off the table and he may very well generate serious interest from other teams.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Flagman5A;3534070]Alvin Keels.... every time I hear that idiots name it cracks me up.......[/QUOTE]

That dude basically ruined Leon's life due to Darren Sproles' contract last year. Absurd that they let a 27 year old play last year without a life net, refused 4-5 mill per a season, i.e. security for your family for the rest of your life. Feel bad for Leon but at the end of the day he's a grown man and it's his decision, and he sure made a poor one.

Leon will be on this team in 2010, the Jets offense was lacking what he's got. Hopefully, he still has it though.

All League
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3534033]Two thoughts on this:

1. $1.76 million is a decent chunk of change for a second round tender. I understand that Leon wants more, but that's a significant raise from what he was getting the past few years.

2. [B]Why did we need to tender Edwards at a 1st and a 3rd? A bit of overkill if you ask me. We traded a 3rd, a 5th and two marginal players for Edwards. If we tendered him as a 1st and someone signed him, that would mean that we got half a year's production out of him plus a 1st rounder for our 3rd/5th and Trusnik and Stuckey. I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. We'd also save $2 million if no one signed him. That's a decent amount of coin[/B].[/QUOTE]

I think the decision was more about the his salary for the upcoming year, rather the compensation. If they tendered him the 1st round only, the lower salary might have caused some friction between the two sides. I think the Jets wanted it this way. They have done everything to make him comfortable, and they wanted to continue to do so going into this upcoming season.

[QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3534102]I think the decision was more about the his salary for the upcoming year, rather the compensation. If they tendered him the 1st round only, the lower salary might have caused some friction between the two sides. I think the Jets wanted it this way. They have done everything to make him comfortable, and they wanted to continue to do so going into this upcoming season.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this and Wesker's post. No need to take a risk, and no need to low-ball at this point. If the Jets could have been major players in FA, then maybe it would have made sense to put Braylon on the hot seat. But with the final 8 restrictions, why not give a show of faith to the guy who could end up being your #1 for 5-7 years?

No homer here, but I have to say I like almost every decision the Jets brass has made since the Pete Kendall disaster. Getting out of the Coles contract and refusing to budge any further on Leon were two big money-saving moves that allowed the Jets to give a little extra cash to guys like Braylon, Devito, Pouha, etc.

Ill take a 3rd for Leon bc he might not ever be the same.... Leon is a scatback who broke his ankle..... :eek:

Thanks for posting the updates. I'm not worried about Edwards numbers, I think the problem last season was 2 fold; rookie QB and Edwards coming over during the season and not having enough time to work with Sanchez. I'm expecting both of them to have big season this year.

[QUOTE=David Harris;3534100]That dude basically ruined Leon's life due to Darren Sproles' contract last year. Absurd that they let a 27 year old play last year without a life net, refused 4-5 mill per a season, i.e. security for your family for the rest of your life. Feel bad for Leon but at the end of the day he's a grown man and it's his decision, and he sure made a poor one.

Leon will be on this team in 2010, the Jets offense was lacking what he's got. Hopefully, he still has it though.[/QUOTE]

Leon, wake up and sack that inept POS "sports agent". He's already cost u major $$$ with his incompetence, let him be someone else's parasite

[QUOTE=Jerricho89;3534098]Unless Keels is blatantly lying about Leon's rehab, by the time June 1st rolls around the injury may no longer be a factor - Leon may very likely demonstrate that he's 100%. If that's the case, the "coming off a horrible injury" factor is off the table and he may very well generate serious interest from other teams.[/QUOTE]

The last date Restricted FAs can sign an offer sheet from another team is April 15th.

Leon doesn't show for "Voluntary" workouts, Edwards, B. Smith, Ihedigbo sign tenders

[quote]The Jets began their off-season program today, and there were only two no-shows for the start of the "voluntary" workouts -- RB Leon Washington and newly-signed LB Lance Laury. In Laury's case, his absence could be attributed to travel and logistics.

No word yet from the Washington camp on why he skipped. He's a restricted free agent (second-round tender, $1.759 million tender), and has yet to sign his tender. A year ago, he was unhappy with his contract and skipped a few workouts in the offseason before returning to the team with the hope of signing a long-term contract.

It's quite possible that Washington still is upset with his contract situation. Perhaps he thought he should've received the first-round tender ($2.521 million). Obviously, he would've received the high tender if he had been healthy, but he's still rehabbing from his horrific leg injury. The rehab also could be a reason why he didn't show. He might be at his home in Florida, rehabbing there. You also have to wonder if the LaDainian Tomlinson signing is a factor. Tomlinson probably will rob Washington of some playing time, assuming Washington is healthy by the season.

Players who don't sign their tenders are allowed to work out with their teams. Three players fall into that category -- QB Kellen Clemens, CB Drew Coleman and OT Wayne Hunter.

WR Braylon Edwards did, in fact, sign his tender (believed to be $6.1 million) and showed up today. Recently, Rex Ryan said he expected Edwards to be on hand, but there was some question because of Edwards' history in Cleveland, where he never was known as a diligent off-season workout guy.

The Jets tendered Edwards at the highest level (first- and third-round picks as compensation), and the reason is salary is so high is because it's 120% of his 2009 salary. That's the rule.

In addition to Edwards, WR Brad Smith and S James Ihedigbo signed their tenders and showed up for workouts.

Read more: [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/#ixzz0iwuwkkHv[/url] [/quote]

[QUOTE=crasherino;3534033]
    2. Why did we need to tender Edwards at a 1st and a 3rd? A bit of overkill if you ask me. We traded a 3rd, a 5th and two marginal players for Edwards. If we tendered him as a 1st and someone signed him, that would mean that we got half a year's production out of him plus a 1st rounder for our 3rd/5th and Trusnik and Stuckey. I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. We'd also save $2 million if no one signed him. That's a decent amount of coin.[/QUOTE]

You can't tender a RFA for less then 110% his previous years salary. Thus, Edwards (Due to being a top draft pick and coming off a huge rookie contract) wasn't eligible for the lower tenders, it was either the 1 and the 3, or nothing at all.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 03-22-2010 at 07:14 PM.

All League
    when a player signs his tender, what does that actually mean in terms of him signing elsewhere and us getting a draft pick?...does it mean he's no longer a free agent?

[QUOTE=Jerricho89;3534098]Unless Keels is blatantly lying about Leon's rehab, by the time June 1st rolls around the injury may no longer be a factor - Leon may very likely demonstrate that he's 100%. If that's the case, the "coming off a horrible injury" factor is off the table and he may very well generate serious interest from other teams.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter, the deadline to sign an RFA to a contract is something like April 15th, so that the team would have their week to match before the draft.