Thread: VP of officiating Mike Pereira interested in coaching

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

VP of officiating Mike Pereira interested in coaching

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/22/pereira-is-interested-in-coaching/[/url]

[I]Pereira is interested in coaching
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 22, 2010 10:41 PM ET

VP of officiating Mike Pereira isn't ready to give up football.

While he won't be chatting with Rich Eisen every Wednesday during the season anymore, Pereira hopes to become a coach, according to SI's Peter King. Really.

Pereira envisions a new type of assistant. He would train the team year-round in penalty prevention.

"I believe penalties have a bigger impact on the game than anyone realizes," Pereira said. "I'm fascinated by the coaching aspect of it, of trying to cut down the penalties. Obviously it's never been done before, and I realize not every team would be interested in something like this. I think it's a matter of who's progressive enough to think about it. Who would take the chance?''

It may not be a full-time job, but the concept has merit in this wildly specialized era. No one would know better than Pereira at how to advantage of the rules.[/I]

This seems very interesting to me, I could easily see how a team would be interested in utilizing his services.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

or they could just practice a little discipline lol :eek:

I mean seriously, the 3 most called penalties during football have to be false start, offsides, and holding.

Next has to be pass interference, delay of game, and facemask...

He's not gonna fix any of those, it's ultimately up to the player

In this case "progressive" = "retarded" :yes:

Edit: I will admit though, the part about knowing what [B]rules[/B] apply in certain situations during a game would be really helpful
    Last edited by HEMPSTEAD; 03-22-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3534327][url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/22/pereira-is-interested-in-coaching/[/url]

While he won't be chatting with Rich Eisen every Wednesday during the season anymore, Pereira hopes to become a coach, according to SI's Peter King. Really.

Pereira envisions a new type of assistant. He would train the team year-round in penalty prevention.

"I believe penalties have a bigger impact on the game than anyone realizes," Pereira said. "I'm fascinated by the coaching aspect of it, of trying to cut down the penalties. Obviously it's never been done before, and I realize not every team would be interested in something like this. I think it's a matter of who's progressive enough to think about it. Who would take the chance?''

It may not be a full-time job, but the concept has merit in this wildly specialized era. No one would know better than Pereira at how to advantage of the rules.[/I]

This seems very interesting to me, I could easily see how a team would be interested in utilizing his services.[/QUOTE]
    PATSIES.. Oh wait they allready know how to cheat............. LOSERS!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HEMPSTEAD;3534341]...

or they could just practice a little discipline lol :eek:

I mean seriously, the 3 most called penalties during football have to be false start, offsides, and holding.

Next has to be pass interference, delay of game, and facemask...

He's not gonna fix any of those, it's ultimately up to the player

In this case "progressive" = "retarded" :yes:

Edit: I will admit though, the part about knowing what [B]rules[/B] apply in certain situations during a game would be really helpful[/QUOTE]

There are more aspects to it that he can help with-- helping players 'get away with' penalties like holding and pass interference by teaching not only what officials look for but going deeper by teaching players how to guard the infraction with their bodies versus official position on the field (something players already try to do).

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    A large part of why he is leaving the NFL is that his parents are not well and he wants to be closer to them in california to help take care of them so no team outside of the afc-nfc west is a real possibility. intrigueing notion though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HEMPSTEAD;3534341]
    In this case "progressive" = "retarded" :yes:[/QUOTE]
    That's [U]every[/U] case, actually. :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3534327][url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/22/pereira-is-interested-in-coaching/[/url]

This seems very interesting to me, I could easily see how a team would be interested in utilizing his services.[/QUOTE]

Not a new idea....

Herm hired a guy(s) to call penalties during practice pretty regularly. He had a guy on staff who's job was to stay on top of rule changes and to call what penalties he saw during practice. If anyone happens to recall, Herms teams were typically at the lower end of penalties in the league.

Thats why the ones that were called were so glaring, cause the squad as a whole was one of the least penalized.

Personally, I think its a smart idea. He could train a crew of guys for hire... he could sell the idea to the coaches... they could at least bring his guys in on a consulting basis... those guys would study the clients squad, and teach that team how to avoid the penalties they commit.
    Last edited by Jet Fumes; 03-23-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is the jackass that defended Walt Coleman after he Tim Donaghy'd a postseason game to the Pattycakes and allowed the crook to continue working to this day -- including his phantom call in OT last season of the Jets-Bills game that cost the Jets a winning field goal attempt at the 10 yard line

Hopefully he finds a coaching spot at the proper level - Junior High School Girls

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    SIGN THIS BEAST!!! For short money of course...

Sorry I had to.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets going after this guy is tampering. He is already on the payroll of the patriots* and has been for years

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3534327]

I can totally see that, especially if he compiled dossier on every official in a league.
    "Well, today we have Joe Shmoe.. Just remind him at half time that pictures of him and that camel Lucie are still in my safe and let your OL hold as they please".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish Pereira would get as far away from the game of football as possible..I always had a true hate for this guy..I have a hard time with some current NFL rules and this guy has allways had such a power trip able to controll games and protect his refs with bull**** explainations .. **** you Pereira

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good, now he can be on the other side and listen to some bozo defend awful awful calls each week and try to convince you they were very good calls.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good riddance to this jerk.

I lost all respect for him when he supported the blown call when Chris Baker was forced out of the endzone in a Cleveland game. By the rules then, it clearly should have been ruled a forceout and a TD, but even with the benefit of multiple replays and one would assume a basic grasp of gravity's effects, this schmuck considered it a good call. As he always does.

GFY Pereira.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely think he could bring something to the table for any club. There are so many little things that players could take advantage of, that they probably don't even think of. Remember when one of the Jets on a loose ball purposely stuck part of his body out of bounds, and then touched the ball to make the ball dead? Or how for years illegal contact was never called, and a certain team knew it was rarely called and took advantage of it.

Being trained to do things like that could easily give you an advantage. It's those types of things that someone who knows the rules well could teach.

I think combining a lot of miniscule advantages could turn into a significant advantage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3535000]Interested in coaching WHAT, the art of spin, propoganda and shilling?[/QUOTE]

His job was to defend the refs. He's a good football mind though and I'd be very happy if the Jets signed him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    what could he teach??

the art of slipping bribes to crooked officials like Walt Coleman quietly under the table so nobody knows?

Kraft would be a better coach as far as teaching that topic is concerned

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=littleeddiebell;3534675]Good riddance to this jerk.

I lost all respect for him when he supported the blown call when Chris Baker was forced out of the endzone in a Cleveland game. By the rules then, it clearly should have been ruled a forceout and a TD, but even with the benefit of multiple replays and one would assume a basic grasp of gravity's effects, this schmuck considered it a good call. As he always does.

GFY Pereira.[/QUOTE]

I still have vivid memories of that play and how it still in my mind is probably the most infuriated i have ever been with the officiating of any sporting event i was watching. that play will stick with me forever

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3535772]what could he teach??

the art of slipping bribes to crooked officials like Walt Coleman quietly under the table so nobody knows?

Kraft would be a better coach as far as teaching that topic is concerned[/QUOTE]

Your posts are not only pathetic and redundant, but totally predictable. Is this what you consider "talking football"?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you take yourself back to patsfan.com, vinny, you won't have to ever read any of them.

and everybody will agree with everything you post about anything and give you the love you deserve