Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 sacks from our starting OLB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying we can't upgrade. Ideally it would be BT and Gholston splitting reps but that hasn't panned out. We do need to get pressure from a 4 man rush but BT isn't among the worst OLB playing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of you guys are severely overrating BT. The guy does not make impact plays..he's invisible for most of the game.

Yes, I understand he's solid in coverage, but our other LBs can also cover. And he's definitely not better than against the run than Pace.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    jerry hughes would replace BT with a legitimate pass rush, and i wouldn't be surprised if he's the pick.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New Jerzey Jet;3534789]Some of you guys are severely overrating BT. The guy does not make impact plays..he's invisible for most of the game.

Yes, I understand he's solid in coverage, but our other LBs can also cover. And he's definitely not better than against the run than Pace.[/QUOTE]

Not overrating, I think everyone agrees he just a solid LB, never will be a probowler, just a guy who does his job.

I Agree with you on Graham, that he wouldbe an excellent pick. If he was stillthere , but a rookie wouldn't start over Bt right away.

If Gholston played like he was suppose to this wouldn't be a conversation anyway lol.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is really a tribute to Mike Tannenbaum. Think about it. At the end of the season we all knew the Jets needed a 2nd corner. That was the need hands down and the discussion was centered around do we trade up for Haden? Will Wilson make it to 29? After Wilson who is the next best CB? So what does Tanny do? He trades for Cromartie, preserving our 1st round pick and adding a player more ready to step in and excel than anyone available in the draft. Now, the Jets have no glaring needs, this team is ready to step on the field against anyone and win. So the debate becomes what do the Jets need? The answer is nothing. We could enter the season without adding one more player and compete for the Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong, there are positions that could be upgraded, but we solid productive players at those positions right now.

Well done Tanny. Whenever the Jets are on the clock they will select the best player available suited to our system. And based on the recent track record I trust them to make the right choice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is anyone calling Byran Thomas our primary pass rusher? Maybe 4 years ago when he was our only pass rusher.

Our OLB "need" is easily the most overblown one of the offseason. Not that I'm against adding talent there, but our 4 starters make one of the best groups in the league...I also might be the only Jet fan alive who thinks Vernon Gholston is going to do something this year.

NO rookie from this year's class would beat out any of our starters at LB. BT is fine as the Jarrett Johnson of the D until Gholston takes his job from him...this year.

My suggestion would be to stop overrating the hell out of sacks and start paying attention to what our D is built on. Pass rush is the job of the D as a whole, not just one guy.

Also, Pace is going to have double digit sacks next year...I'm going with 12.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Drama;3534828]Not overrating, I think everyone agrees he just a solid LB, never will be a probowler, just a guy who does his job.

I Agree with you on Graham, that he wouldbe an excellent pick. If he was stillthere , but a rookie wouldn't start over Bt right away.

If Gholston played like he was suppose to this wouldn't be a conversation anyway lol.[/QUOTE]

He's solid, but we may need someone who's more than solid if he want to be a truly dominant Defense. LBs are the most important position is Rex's D IMO. Look at the Ravens D from a few years ago...Suggs/Lewis/Bart/Adalius...4 studs and 2 great pass-rushers. That LB corps was the heart of that D. Even look at Pitt in 08 with Harrison/Farrior/Foote/Woodley. Those 2 Defenses were far more dominant than ours.

If we want to beat Peyton we're going to have to get a more dominant pass-rusher.

And we should just cut Gholston now, while we have the chance.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]
    And we should just cut Gholston now, while we have the chance. [/QUOTE]

What does that even mean? What chance?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Drama;3534401]We don't run a traditional 3/4. Rex moves and blitz's from everywhere.

We had Jenkins lineup at Mlb on plays before he got hurt, was that because Rex thought he was faster sideline to sideline than D Harris?

You can't get an all pro at every position Bt is a more than adequate starter.[/QUOTE]

:yes::yes::yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3534848]Why is anyone calling Byran Thomas our primary pass rusher? Maybe 4 years ago when he was our only pass rusher.

Our OLB "need" is easily the most overblown one of the offseason. Not that I'm against adding talent there, but our 4 starters make one of the best groups in the league...I also might be the only Jet fan alive who thinks Vernon Gholston is going to do something this year.

NO rookie from this year's class would beat out any of our starters at LB. BT is fine as the Jarrett Johnson of the D until Gholston takes his job from him...this year.

My suggestion would be to stop overrating the hell out of sacks and start paying attention to what our D is built on. Pass rush is the job of the D as a whole, not just one guy.

Also, Pace is going to have double digit sacks next year...I'm going with 12.[/QUOTE]

If Gholston shows up and Pace gets 12 sacks, then you'd be right, but what are the chances of that happening?

You can't send 6+ guys against great QBs like Peyton, you need a guy who can consistently beat his man and get PRESSURE.

The reason why we're 18th in sacks is because we don't have a guy who can do that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3534859]What does that even mean? What chance?[/QUOTE]

no cap...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanJim;3534842]This thread is really a tribute to Mike Tannenbaum. Think about it. At the end of the season we all knew the Jets needed a 2nd corner. That was the need hands down and the discussion was centered around do we trade up for Haden? Will Wilson make it to 29? After Wilson who is the next best CB? So what does Tanny do? He trades for Cromartie, preserving our 1st round pick and adding a player more ready to step in and excel than anyone available in the draft. Now, the Jets have no glaring needs, this team is ready to step on the field against anyone and win. So the debate becomes what do the Jets need? The answer is nothing. We could enter the season without adding one more player and compete for the Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong, there are positions that could be upgraded, but we solid productive players at those positions right now.

Well done Tanny. Whenever the Jets are on the clock they will select the best player available suited to our system. And based on the recent track record I trust them to make the right choice.[/QUOTE]

You're not serious, right? This thread is about the [I]glaring need[/I] for a pass rusher, which has been a glaring need since John Abraham was traded, but might not have been such a glaring need if Tannenbaum had invested more than one draft pick on the position since he took the GM job. Oh by the way, that one pick was Gholston - and I supported the pick because it was a legit position of need. But the bottom line is he's a huge bust. And you can't address a position like that with one pick and think it's fixed. Just look at how many pass rushers the She-men have stockpiled this decade. That is how you do it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread makes me want to hurt myself. This defense is predicated on generating pressure, including but not limited to sacks. And bemoaning a dearth of sacks when your defense was #1 in points allowed and #1 in passing yardage allowed is like complaining that you didn't get a Starbucks gift card as part of winning the lottery.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dbatesman;3534911]This thread makes me want to hurt myself. This defense is predicated on generating pressure, including but not limited to sacks. And bemoaning a dearth of sacks when your defense was #1 in points allowed and #1 in passing yardage allowed is like complaining that you didn't get a Starbucks gift card as part of winning the lottery.[/QUOTE]

not true. sacks and turnovers are huge. they translate to field position and the ability to go 3 and out on defense. there were plenty of times the jets blitzed but couldn't get off the field b/c they couldn't get the qb and the qb made the first down. i'm not complaining about how the defense played last year, but it's obvious there's room for improvement with the pass rush. the jets defense played efficiently, but was not dominant. it's telling that on the #1 rated unit, i believe only revis and scott got any kind of all pro or pro bowl recognition, and truth, scott didn't deserve it, at least over harris.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dbatesman;3534911]This thread makes me want to hurt myself. This defense is predicated on generating pressure, including but not limited to sacks. And bemoaning a dearth of sacks when your defense was #1 in points allowed and #1 in passing yardage allowed is like complaining that you didn't get a Starbucks gift card as part of winning the lottery.[/QUOTE]

Then stop posting in it.

Our D was #1 in total D in an extremely weak year for Defenses. Just because we were #1 means there's no room for improvement? gtfo

Take a look at the 200 Ravens or 2008 Steelers if you want to see true dominance.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New Jerzey Jet;3534923]Then stop posting in it.

Our D was #1 in total D in an extremely weak year for Defenses. Just because we were #1 means there's no room for improvement? gtfo

Take a look at the 200 Ravens or 2008 Steelers if you want to see true dominance.[/QUOTE]

Of course there's room for improvement. That's irrelevant to the fact that the desperate Chicken Littling in this thread evinces a complete misconstrual of Rex's defense. The reason for the exotic blitzes and the interchangeable-parts front 7 is to elide the need for a single dominant pass-rusher. The 2008 Ravens ran Rex's defense [I]with[/I] a stud pass-rusher and managed only 34 sacks, i.e., 2 more sacks than the 2009 Jets.

I don't see how the 2000 Ravens or 2008 Steelers are germane to this discussion, since their systems are completely different from Rex's, but it should be noted that the 2000 Ravens accumulated 35 sacks and that their "dominant pass-rusher" (10.5) was Rob Burnett.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New Jerzey Jet;3534391]So two sacks from your primary pass-rusher position is good?

I know its not all about sacks, but hes not that great against the run, he's solid. 40 solo tackles really isn't that impressive.
    [/QUOTE]

I agree that Thomas should be upgraded if viable, but the reason you're getting criticized is because you made an invalid comparison.

You compared other teams' No. 1 OLB to the Jets No. 2 OLB.

That's like saying a team's No. 2 WR sucks because he doesn't have as many catches or yards as other teams' No. 1 WR.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    whats a bigger problem the 10 sacks from Pace and Thomas? or the 7 TD from Cotch and Edwards?

and the Jets have Gholston who could possibly be good (in theory at least)... and we know he can step in and play based on the 3-1 record that the Jets had when he did...

the Jets have no backup WR who could possibly be good... or even play decently if Cotch/Edwards gets hurt.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3534953]whats a bigger problem the 10 sacks from Pace and Thomas? or the 7 TD from Cotch and Edwards?

and the Jets have Gholston who could possibly be good (in theory at least)... and we know he can step in and play based on the 3-1 record that the Jets had when he did...

the Jets have no backup WR who could possibly be good... or even play decently if Cotch/Edwards gets hurt.[/QUOTE]

I think the 7 TDs can be explained by the rookie QB situation. I follow your concern about the lack of WR depth but I'm not alone in thinking an elite pass rusher would put the Jets over the top.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dbatesman;3534384]Because it's a painfully stupid and woefully inaccurate thing to say.[/QUOTE]

LOL... yeah, this post was way off base. BT is a solid player. I agree, we need a big-time pass rusher to compliment Pace, but Thomas isn't one of the worst OLBs in the league. Like someone else stated, he isn't always the guy pinning his ears back and rushing the passer.

Pro Football focus has him pretty highly rated (take it for what it's worth):

[url]http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=OLB3&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1[/url]