Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 sacks from our starting OLB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

2 sacks from our starting OLB

As most of you know, in a 3-4 Defense the OLB's main responsibility is to rush the passer.

Bryan Thomas had two sacks this year, TWO. If we want to be a truly dominant defense, we need to get a top notch pass-rusher. People wonder why we never got pressure unless we sent the house. This is why. Getting a pass-rusher should be been our number 1 priority going into the draft. Hopefully we can pick up someone like Graham, Kindle, or Hughes in the 1st.

Bryan Thomas is a glaring weakness on our D and I don't get why no one ever brings this up.

Just for comparison here are some other OLB sack numbers:

Dumerville 17.5
    Woodley 13.5
    Ware 11
    Banta-Cain 10
    Harrison 10
    Porter 9
    Hali 8.5
    Pace 8
    Phillips 7

BT is possibly the worst starting 3-4 OLB in the league.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terrible comparison.

Pace is the primary pass rusher, BT does a lot more of the dirty work.

Plus BT was a freaking STUD in the playoffs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    . . . . . .but, but he's good in coverage :huh:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Better DL = Better pass rush

Draft a developmental guy outside of the first. Better yet, play Gholston and watch him outplay BT in 2010.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-23-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    BT's very solid against the run.

I'm far from his biggest fan, in fact I agree that upgrading OLB should be one of the primary draft needs. But the Jets have so much money tied up into its LB corps already, I doubt they'll shell out first-round money for another.

We SHOULD have had his replacement in Gholston but, well, you know how that's turning out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Drama;3534367]Terrible comparison.

Pace is the primary pass rusher, BT does a lot more of the dirty work.

Plus BT was a freaking STUD in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

what comparison?

I'm not really making a comparison, I'm just saying BT sucks lol

And Pace is a solid pass-rusher, but he's never had 10+ sacks. We need a guy that demands a double team if we truly want to be dominant. We shouldn't have to send 7 guys to get pressure.

and BT had one sack in the playoffs, yeah what a stud :rolleyes:
    Last edited by New Jerzey Jet; 03-23-2010 at 12:11 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never fear Adalius will soon be here!! And with that BT will be traded for a pick. Write it down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New Jerzey Jet;3534364]Bryan Thomas is a glaring weakness on our D and I don't get why no one ever brings this up.[/QUOTE]

Because it's a painfully stupid and woefully inaccurate thing to say.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dbatesman;3534384]Because it's a painfully stupid and woefully inaccurate thing to say.[/QUOTE]

But the sacks are the only thing that matters. Ignore that he's our only LB that can cover and he's real good against the run.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New Jerzey Jet;3534375]what comparison?

I'm not really making a comparison, I'm just saying BT sucks lol

And Pace is a solid pass-rusher, but he's never had 10+ sacks. We need a guy that demands a double team if we truly want to be dominant. We shouldn't have to send 7 guys to get pressure.

and BT had one sack in the playoffs, yeah what a stud :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Dude, reread your post.

" Just for comparison, here are other teams best pass rusher sack totals"

Did you watch the playoffs, because don't tell me BT didn't elevate his game tremendously. He was never a double digit sack guy, but he's always been a solid player. If Pace plays a full season he's over 10 plus sacks.

We do need another rusher, that's what gholston was for. Drafting DL who can pass rush will help more.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dbatesman;3534384]Because it's a painfully stupid and woefully inaccurate thing to say.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=kdelgado;3534385]But the sacks are the only thing that matters. Ignore that he's our only LB that can cover and he's real good against the run.[/QUOTE]

So two sacks from your primary pass-rusher position is good?

I know its not all about sacks, but hes not that great against the run, he's solid. 40 solo tackles really isn't that impressive.

Why do you think we drafted Gholston? To replace Bryan Thomas. Too bad Gholston is one of the biggest busts in the history of the Jets franchise.

If you guys are really counting on Gholston to solve our pass-rush problems all I can do is lmao
    Last edited by New Jerzey Jet; 03-23-2010 at 12:52 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New Jerzey Jet;3534391]So two sacks from your [B]primary pass-rusher position[/B] is good?
    [/QUOTE]

I am virtually certain that BT actually rushed the passer less often than any of the other starting LBs, Pace, Scott, Harris. Plus, A Rex Ryan D, does not have a primary pass rush "position", it simply allows more opportunitties for talented pass rushering LB's to get sacks, regardless of whether the LB plays inside or outside.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3534397]I am virtually certain that BT actually rushed the passer less often than any of the other starting LBs, Pace, Scott, Harris. Plus, A Rex Ryan D, does not have a primary pass rush "position", it simply allows more opportunitties for talented pass rushering LB's to get sacks, regardless of whether the LB plays inside or outside.[/QUOTE]

He didn't blitz because he's not a good pass-rusher.

In a 3-4 Defense your OLB's are your primary pass-rushers. Rex had to compensate for BT's lack of pass-rushing ability by sending Harris and Scott more often.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New Jerzey Jet;3534400]He didn't blitz because he's not a good pass-rusher.

In a 3-4 Defense your OLB's are your primary pass-rushers. Rex had to compensate for BT's lack of pass-rushing ability by sending Harris and Scott more often.[/QUOTE]

We don't run a traditional 3/4. Rex moves and blitz's from everywhere.

We had Jenkins lineup at Mlb on plays before he got hurt, was that because Rex thought he was faster sideline to sideline than D Harris?

You can't get an all pro at every position Bt is a more than adequate starter.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at mock drafts (outside of this forum), most people have us drafting Hughes or Kindle. Sometimes it's better to see an outside opinion because they don't overrate Jets players like some of us do on this forum.

People outside of this forum realize that we need a pass-rusher.

There's a reason why we blitz far more than any other team, and yet were only 18th in sacks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Drama;3534401]We don't run a traditional 3/4. Rex moves and blitz's from everywhere.

We had Jenkins lineup at Mlb on plays before he got hurt, was that because Rex thought he was faster sideline to sideline than D Harris?

You can't get an all pro at every position Bt is a more than adequate starter.[/QUOTE]

We don't have all pro's at every position.

All I'm trying to say is that getting a legitimate pass-rusher would make our D even more amazing than it already is.

Trade up for Graham please Tanny :)
    Last edited by New Jerzey Jet; 03-23-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The "sack" is the most overrated statistic in the league. Unless you have a player that has around the upper teens in sacks every year, you're talking about a statistic that happens maybe 10 times a season. I would consider a quarterback pressure or a tackle for loss a better statistic than a sack. Give me a player that has 20+ quarterback pressures and 20 TFL with 2 sacks and I'll take that player any day.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New Jerzey Jet;3534404]If you look at mock drafts (outside of this forum), most people have us drafting Hughes or Kindle. Sometimes it's better to see an outside opinion because they don't overrate Jets players like some of us do on this forum.

People outside of this forum realize that we need a pass-rusher.

There's a reason why we blitz far more than any other team, and yet were only 18th in sacks.[/QUOTE]

Really? Most drafts I've seen including ESPN and NFL.com show us taking a WR in the 1st.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3534406]The "sack" is the most overrated statistic in the league. Unless you have a player that has around the upper teens in sacks every year, you're talking about a statistic that happens maybe 10 times a season. I would consider a quarterback pressure or a tackle for loss a better statistic than a sack. Give me a player that has 20+ quarterback pressures and 20 TFL with 2 sacks and I'll take that player any day.[/QUOTE]

Well he only had 13 QB Pressures and 40 solo tackles....

and there's no way we had anywhere close to 20 TFL's

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3534407]Really? Most drafts I've seen including ESPN and NFL.com show us taking a WR in the 1st.[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about the "supposed expects" Kiper and McShay

I'm talking about other knowledgeable football fans like us

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New Jerzey Jet;3534410]Well he only had 13 QB Pressures and 40 solo tackles....

and there's no way we had anywhere close to 20 TFL's

I'm not talking about the "supposed expects" Kiper and McShay

I'm talking about other knowledgeable football fans like us[/QUOTE]

Not saying that you're not knowledgable. Would I upgrade over BT if a better player came across? Absolutely. But we have other needs over him and he's been solid as a starter.