Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 241

Thread: Soccer Draft Discussion Thread

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Soccer Draft Discussion Thread

    Keep all trash talk/jabs in here. The other thread is for picks only.


    A bit of a reach for Tevez, Frostie?

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,058
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tevez will never be a reach. The man has 16 goals in 26 games + 5 assists. Man U realizes what Man City knows - the Best BANG for your buck!

    DALE CARLITOS!

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Tevez will never be a reach. The man has 16 goals in 26 games + 5 assists. Man U realizes what Man City knows - the Best BANG for your buck!

    DALE CARLITOS!
    Wanna join the draft?

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Wanna join the draft?
    I'll be up for another few hours, Raoul - thanks so much for doing this - it's a big job I reckon.

    If I'm about to head off to bed I'll PM you with a couple of picks I have in mind, if I'm still in queue.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    4-3-3





    Sorry BD...


    Would have been my first pick, no doubt about it.

    Good get.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Keep all trash talk/jabs in here. The other thread is for picks only.


    A bit of a reach for Tevez, Frostie?
    Mehh...possibly as a first pick...don't get to see many players with regularity here in the US...soo, gotta with a bit of a gut call. Liked the heart he showed coming in late for Man U last year vs Barca in the CL final. Seems to be picking it up at Man C. Thinking this guy is still getting better?

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    I'll be up for another few hours, Raoul - thanks so much for doing this - it's a big job I reckon.

    If I'm about to head off to bed I'll PM you with a couple of picks I have in mind, if I'm still in queue.
    LMAO...yes thanks; The burden is impossible.

    The hard part will be screwing you guys over and getting away with it. I already Jedi mind-tricked Turk into taking his slot in the draft. Sweeet.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Mehh...possibly as a first pick...don't get to see many players with regularity here in the US...soo, gotta with a bit of a gut call. Liked the heart he showed coming in late for Man U last year vs Barca in the CL final. Seems to be picking it up at Man C. Thinking this guy is still getting better?
    Good pick up no doubt. I thought he got screwed last year at MU where he should have been starting instead of subbing in.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Mehh...possibly as a first pick...don't get to see many players with regularity here in the US...soo, gotta with a bit of a gut call. Liked the heart he showed coming in late for Man U last year vs Barca in the CL final. Seems to be picking it up at Man C. Thinking this guy is still getting better?
    If you also pick up a certain French midget who plies his wares in the Bundesliga you'll have my pick as Ugliest XI.

    Actually, there is a certain player in the Premier not too far from Tevez who also has a head like a busted arse. Turk is already making a play for 'Prettiest XI'. He'll have to watch out for shenanigans in the dressing rooms at this rate. Wouldn't be surprised if there's an outbreak of HIV at some stage if he keeps on going like this (not that Torres is gay, but he's damned sure a pretty boy).

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take it the order is reversed after round 1 and so on? I'll be PMing you my picks Raoul in the next 15 minutes or so. It's getting late over here and bed is calling me.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    I"m retiring to bed - very late here. Will make my pick when I get up in around 18 hours time.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    I PM'ed Deadringer cuz I think he's a busy dude and doesn't swing by every day.

  13. #13
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good question that BD asked that I didn't see answered -- does the draft order stay the same from round to round, or does it go in reverse every other round?

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Good question that BD asked that I didn't see answered -- does the draft order stay the same from round to round, or does it go in reverse every other round?
    That would affect my selection process, one way or the other - obviously, flipping the order would be the fairest way to do it IMO.

  15. #15
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    That would affect my selection process, one way or the other - obviously, flipping the order would be the fairest way to do it IMO.
    That's why it was a good question, mate. Although, it probably matters less for me, because I'm stuck more or less in the middle.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    That's why it was a good question, mate. Although, it probably matters less for me, because I'm stuck more or less in the middle.
    Yeah - doesn't affect you so much.

    On another note - thought about changing Rooney's name to make it more Italianized? Might make the pick a little more comfortable for you.

    Waynoso Rooni.

    You could probably come up with something better.

    BTW - I would have picked him had you not - he's in unbelievable form. Look out if he's like this in the World Cup.

  17. #17
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Yeah - doesn't affect you so much.

    On another note - thought about changing Rooney's name to make it more Italianized? Might make the pick a little more comfortable for you.

    Waynoso Rooni.

    You could probably come up with something better.

    BTW - I would have picked him had you not - he's in unbelievable form. Look out if he's like this in the World Cup.
    Yeah, you're not kidding. The game he played against AC Milan a few weeks ago made Milan look like a junior team.

    Xavi was a good pick. I was actually hoping he'd fall to the 2nd round.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Yeah, you're not kidding. The game he played against AC Milan a few weeks ago made Milan look like a junior team.

    Xavi was a good pick. I was actually hoping he'd fall to the 2nd round.
    See?! All you newcomers to the draft - this is how it works. You talk smack, but sort of an inferred smack so that you don't lose points for coming across like an arsehole (and Paulie is definitely not that - but he's a gamer, just like me!)

    So, as Raoul did above with the Tevez pick, you sort of talk the other picks down. 1st rounder?! Really? Are you sure about that? I mean he's a great player and all, but really I had him graded as a 2nd rounder. As Paulie just did above - I was hoping he'd fall into the 2nd round. So you tie the pick someone else makes with a lower round and therefore make the pick itself out to be a bit of a dud (you actually picked this guy in the first round?! He's a definite second rounder if you ask me!).

    It's true smack talk - not this over the top bluster you find in the Hampur/political forums where people call each other names and stuff. Paulie already has my early vote in this thing, even if his first pick was an ugly old-person shagger who looks like he's on steroids (my smack talk just there wasn't really very good - the compliment at the start was OK, if standard in talking smack - but the thorn at the end was too obvious and abusive, albeit true . The steroids thing I just threw in because you mention any sportsman and that word and the * symbol becomes tied to the athletes name straight away. In other words, in no way shape or form is Rooney on performance enhancing drugs............as far as I know, anyway. )

    Raoul - can you order Paulie to put a * next to Rooni's name for us?

    But anyway - about my pick - had my eye on at least one striker, but there are two strikers who I find difficult to separate - so figure I'll get at crack at least one of them with my next pick (that is if the order is inverted like all the drafts have been on JI) Had to go with Xavi because of his recent form - winning the Euro Cup, Champions League and La Liga recently - and rightly voted the 3rd best player in the world last year. He was hard to separate from another team mate of his whose form has dropped off a little this season, but is still a great player.

    The rest of the players picked so far are strikers of one sort or another, apart from Fabregas, and with respect to Deadringer, I'd pick Xavi over Fabregas most days of the week. The Spanish manager certainly agrees with me as well (see how I slipped that one in? I'm trying to be subtle here )
    Last edited by Soberphobia; 03-24-2010 at 01:53 AM.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Xavi was a good pick. I was actually hoping he'd fall to the 2nd round.
    +1

    BD I actually had him graded as a first rounder also but was just hoping none of you other guys did

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I missed your question BD: yes, draft order will flip-flop from one round to the next.

    Xavi, a 2nd rounder? He only finished 3rd in last year's Golden Ball award..





    Am I doing it right BD?
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 03-24-2010 at 04:37 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us