Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer Draft Discussion Thread

Jets Insider VIP
    Damn... I was hoping Higuain would slip to the next round since he's not as hyped as the other stars on the team..

He's been gold this year.

Edit: little known fact he almost played for France. I think he was born here or has a direct tie can't remember. Anyhow, Domenech for once played things fairly well. About 4 years ago, when Higuain was just a budding star in Argentina, he selected him for an official game making him choose between Argentina or France (before Argentina had eveer selected him). Idiot chose Argentina..
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 03-29-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I'm guessing I just picked one of them...
    You did and thanks BD

In the list I sent to BD I actually had Hugain in 1st and Mascherano second but I would've taken Javier over Hugain if available because I wanted a midfielder but I'm happy with Hugain.

Based on current form he never shoud've made it to round 3. Easily first round material

All League
    Damn... I was hoping Higuain would slip to the next round since he's not as hyped as the other stars on the team..

He's been gold this year.

Edit: little known fact he almost played for France. I think he was born here or has a direct tie can't remember. Anyhow, Domenech for once played things fairly well. About 4 years ago, when Higuain was just a budding star in Argentina, he selected him for an official game making him choose between Argentina or France (before Argentina had eveer selected him). Idiot chose Argentina..
    Higuain actually rejected BOTH countries when initially called up, but El Pipita eventually chose WISELY It just sounds like you're jealous

Gonzalo was born in France, but his father, Jorge, is Argentine and played there professionally thus Pipita's birthplace and call up by the French. Of course, he chose the proud and historically rich futbol nation of Argentina over the cheese eaters. Even though he played for River, I'm a Bostero, the kid always had scoring skill and will hopefully be the scoring threat we've lacked since Batistuta since Messi has failed to make goals and Tevez comes off the bench.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Higuain actually rejected BOTH countries when initially called up, but El Pipita eventually chose WISELY It just sounds like you're jealous

Gonzalo was born in France, but his father, Jorge, is Argentine and played there professionally thus Pipita's birthplace and call up by the French. Of course, he chose the proud and historically rich futbol nation of Argentina over the cheese eaters. Even though he played for River, I'm a Bostero, the kid always had scoring skill and will hopefully be the scoring threat we've lacked since Batistuta since Messi has failed to make goals and Tevez comes off the bench.
    He did choose wisely. His talent would be wasted on our current team.

Trezeguet on the other hand made the best of his heritage and was an integral part of our 98 and 2000 sucess.

WTF is going on on the Argentinian team?? How the hell did they get into such a slump to qualify??

All League
    WTF is going on on the Argentinian team?? How the hell did they get into such a slump to qualify??
    They were flat and had no technical direction under Basile. Basile only got the job a 2nd time around because he led Boca Juniors to a good run after Peckerman resigned and b/c the media overhyped his success as national coach in the early 90's (which was STACKED w/MAradona, Batistuta, Caniggia, Goycochea, Sensini, Redondo, Simeone, and a young "Burrito" Ortega)

The last REAL coach Arg had who NEVER should have stepped down was Peckerman - who led a GREAT qualifying run leading to the '06 WC and good show in the tournament - and it's been crap since. I'm not convinced of Maradona's ability as a coach, too inconsistent with formations and call-ups; don't even get me started on his press conferences.

This Argentina team for the '10 WC is a classic example where you have a GREAT kitchen w/the BEST ingredients, but a LOUSY chef at the grill.
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 03-29-2010 at 04:57 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    They were flat and had no technical direction under Basile. Basile only got the job a 2nd time around because he led Boca Juniors to a good run after Peckerman resigned and b/c the media overhyped his success as national coach in the early 90's (which was STACKED w/MAradona, Batistuta, Caniggia, Goycochea, Sensini, Redondo, Simeone, and a young "Burrito" Ortega)

The last REAL coach Arg had who NEVER should have stepped down was Peckerman - who led a GREAT qualifying run leading to the '06 WC and good show in the tournament - and it's been crap since. I'm not convinced of Maradona's ability as a coach, too inconsistent with formations and call-ups; don't even get me started on his press conferences.

This Argentina team for the '10 WC is a classic example where you have a GREAT kitchen w/the BEST ingredients, but a LOUSY chef at the grill.
    Haven't looked at the groups in detail, but I would love for a Spain/Argentina final if Argentina plays it's best football.

Veteran
    but a LOUSY chef at the grill.
    I take it you're not a member of the Iglesia Maradoniana?

Jets Insider VIP
    I admit to having almost no idea as to who Aguerro is.

From the video, seems like a good pick...

...to poop on.

I admit to having almost no idea as to who Aguerro is.

From the video, seems like a good pick...

...to poop on.

Royal - trash talking aside, can I say that you have made some exceptional picks, especially given your lowly position. You've shown a very good insight into football - where the hell have you been on these threads all this time?

Veteran
    Maicon is a great great pick BD.

IMO you're the early leader of this draft.

And BTW Neill has been Kewell de ja vu for us. The team is playing like **** but he's been unbelievable.

Great couple of characters you got there. I along with prolly all of the Galatasaray fans will be supporting your Soceroos this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Maicon is a great great pick BD.

IMO you're the early leader of this draft.

And BTW Neill has been Kewell de ja vu for us. The team is playing like **** but he's been unbelievable.

Great couple of characters you got there. I along with prolly all of the Galatasaray fans will be supporting your Soceroos this summer.
    No way leader in the draft - already some better players in other squads in this forum. Great to hear about Neill - he's a very, very good player who was underrated because of his national heritage in England. Turkey knows about the Anzacs and their fighting spirit but in England we are still criminals and convicts - if Messi was an Aussie playing in the Premier he'd probably be a great player for West Ham.

There was a big Kewell interview in the weekend Aussie newspapers that mentioned Gala quite a bit. Kewell unfortunately sounds very bitter after his 'Pool experience - can't blame him for that in a lot of ways. They almost wrecked his career, which is very hard for me to write as a 'Pool supporter.

My current assessment of the picks - been a great draft so far and no losers as far as I can see.

The Turk has an incredible attacking strike force - absolutely lethal. Torres, Higuain, and Arsharvin feeding those two the ball in the hole, as well as scoring himself. Talk about form! Torres strikes on the weekend were awesome - Higuain is in line for the golden boot, and Arshavin has been a revelation and if now sold would be triple the price the Arse paid for him.

Royal has done incredibly from such a lowly position in terms of the first round- Iniesta feeding Villa killer balls, with the hallmarks of a stellar defence in Rio, and a great, if under-rated, defensive mid in De Rossi. At one stage last year Iniesta and Villa could have been rated as the top two players in the world, no shadow of a doubt.

Deadringer has done very well with Drogba - without doubt the best "central" forward in world football in the last 5 years, and Fabregas - who could be anything, and already is one of the most feared midfielders across the globe. Vidic is a great defender, who is hampered by the fact he plays for the Manure (!!).

Paulie has lined up probably the form player of 2010 in Rooney - some would pick him as the best player in the world at the moment. Ramos is a killer addition, and Robben has always impressed me and IMO is the best left sided attacking player in world football behind the mercurial Messi. Nice work picking him up in the third round!

Frostie has Tevez, who scored a 10 minute hat trick in the game just gone, is as strong as a bull but with the finishing touch of a mortician, and was one of the first targets for the richest club in the world this season. Tevez will be up there in the scoring in this summers World Cup if you ask me, despite the fact who he's fighting playing time for for Argentina. To make an extremely ugly, if extremely slippery and talented, double, he's also picked Frank Ribery, who if he was from South America would be hailed as "Messi Snr". "Spraying balls with wisdom", as the Scousers used to sing to him, rounds out Frostie's current picks, ie, Xabi Alonso - current libero for World Cup favourites and current Euro champions in Spain. An awesome passer of the ball with a telepathic understanding with his teammates.

The Batman has lined up Ronaldo, who when he isn't at the V.D clinic is terrorising defences as probably the second best player on the globe. Eto'o is one of the best strikers of the last 5 years, and Essien is the best "box to box" mid in the world.

Raoul has world player of the year of recent years in Kaka, the mercurial Ibra, who is the only person on this list who can be a target man as well as "play off" in the hole, and also Argentina's Javier Mascherano - the best holding midfielder in the world and the probable reason why Argentina will win the W.C. this summer over Spain, who don't have a match for him.

I've missed Woody and myself - Woody because he has the incomparable Messi - his goals of recent weeks have been Mardonaesque - it's the highest compliment that can be paid to an attacking football player. In other words, Woody doesn't need any compliments with Messi in the fold.

Lampard and Puyol make up two world class additions to his squad - both players should feature in the World Cup semis if talent matters.

Won't go into my squad - think I've done OK - but as addressed here, some awesome players gone in the first few rounds. Roll on the rest of the draft!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    No way leader in the draft - already some better players in other squads in this forum. Great to hear about Neill - he's a very, very good player who was underrated because of his national heritage in England. Turkey knows about the Anzacs and their fighting spirit but in England we are still criminals and convicts - if Messi was an Aussie playing in the Premier he'd probably be a great player for West Ham.

There was a big Kewell interview in the weekend Aussie newspapers that mentioned Gala quite a bit. Kewell unfortunately sounds very bitter after his 'Pool experience - can't blame him for that in a lot of ways. They almost wrecked his career, which is very hard for me to write as a 'Pool supporter.
    LOL

Can you send a link for the interview? If not did it say anything about a renewal?

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    LOL

Can you send a link for the interview? If not did it say anything about a renewal?
    No link - I'll try to transcribe it over Easter for you.

P.S. - nothing about renewal. Kewell is clearly EXTREMELY bitter over his Mersey experience. Extremely. Gala has been great for his soul.
    Last edited by Soberphobia; 03-30-2010 at 12:35 PM.

I considered Maicon before Robben, but I didn't want Inter scum mucking up my squad.

I have no where near the knowledge of the game as you guys, but I've been riveted by these draft threads. Been checking in more than once daily. Interesting stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    aw man very tough calls to make now. A lot of talented players to pick from...no idea how long they'll last on the board.

The Turk might struggle to get his pick in today unless he's still at work.