Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No Announcement of Opening Weekend / Primetime Games This Week

Beating the Pats at home on Monday Night in our New Stadium would be a great way to show that we have truly turned the corner!

(will be even sweeter after the Giants lose their opener)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3534658]My guess is they don't know. It's clearly got to be Dolphins or Patriots, with the Vikes on Turkey Day.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I disagree, I don't think they use a marquee game like Vikes with Favre @ his old team, the Jets. It's a captive audience that day and they know it. I suspect we play the Bengals.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3534680]I disagree, I don't think they use a marquee game like Vikes with Favre @ his old team, the Jets. It's a captive audience that day and they know it. I suspect we play the Bengals.[/QUOTE]

It's the very first NFL Network game of the season, very-much hyped, and very much in need of a big audience considering its on a relatively small base of cable/satellite subscribers.

Last year it was Giants at Broncos. NFC vs. AFC. Lots of other teams interested in the outcome. Big NY market. East vs. West.

If you look at the Jets home schedule, only 2 NFC teams fit the bill, and only one of them features two playoff teams, a 'homecoming', and the 50/50 shot at Brett Favre and a 100% shot of Adrian Peterson in primetime on a national holiday.

SAR I

This also has to do with the Networks fighting over which games they want.

As an example Fox doesn't want to lose both Jet games, which means if Minny was to go Thanksgiving, then Fox would want Green Bay. I don't see them losing them both, and with Favre still in the air, the GB game may be a more compelling Prime Time game.

As for the Phins opening, that would mean either they would have to open on the road the first two weeks, or play again on the next Monday night as the Marlins are home the Sunday and Tuesday of week 2. That would also only give the stadium folk a day to get the stadium ready and back.I think the Phins will open at home and get scratched from this game. When's the last time a team played on back to back Monday nights?

I would think the Jets/Pats game will get slated for a Sunday night this year, and that CBS will want the other one.

With a pending lockout coming after this year, the league is going to really bend over backwards to make their Network partners happy.

I'm starting to think Minny or Green Bay will be here for the opener (Denver will get the late game) and Baltimore or Cincy will get Thanksgiving.

I do not think they will have back to back Monday night games on opening Monday without a NFC team involved. So if Denver gets that late game...we're hosting Minny or GB.

New England will be a Sunday night .

Balt or Pitt will be another prime timer and likely Monday or one of those late in the season Sat games.

Plenty of good games late in the year in flex position.

Jets Insider VIP
    seriously folks, its MARCH

if we find out today or we find out next week, WHO CARES??

there must be something else around on the planet to get worked up over -- like two wars, 10 percent unemployment, PSL's, Earthquakes in Haiti and Chili

important stuff

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3534700]It's the very first NFL Network game of the season, very-much hyped, and very much in need of a big audience considering its on a relatively small base of cable/satellite subscribers.

Last year it was Giants at Broncos. NFC vs. AFC. Lots of other teams interested in the outcome. Big NY market. East vs. West.

If you look at the Jets home schedule, only 2 NFC teams fit the bill, and only one of them features two playoff teams, a 'homecoming', and the 50/50 shot at Brett Favre and a 100% shot of Adrian Peterson in primetime on a national holiday.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Packers? I think they use the Vikings for a Sunday night....and just like that we have 3 prime time games.

Unbelievable, this is an absolute joke. You can't come up with 7 or 8 games by now? We will be lucky to get the schedule by July.

We'll know the schedule when we get the tickets one or two weeks prior to the first preseason game.

Unreal.

[QUOTE=PatsieThrasher;3534558]I am [B]disgusted[/B] with the way the NFL has conducted itself this past week. The Week 1 Primetime schedule and Thanksgiving games were scheduled to be released yesterday, then they re-scheduled the release for today, and now it appears that it will be delayed indefinitely. What is going on over there? The NFL is sending a message of [B]clear disorganization[/B] to the nation of fans out there...first with the reprehensible mishandling of the NY teams' opening day games via a secretive 'coin-toss' without team representatives being present, and now this debacle. :steamin:

As a life-long fan of the NFL, I have never formally complained about any aspect of the game until today. I felt compelled to voice my concerns to the league in an email regarding the recent chaotic events and let them know that many fans fear for the future of our beloved sport under the current leadership.[/QUOTE]

110% with on you on this. This is a joke.

[QUOTE=sg3;3534749]seriously folks, its MARCH

there must be something else around on the planet to get worked up over -- like two wars, 10 percent unemployment, PSL's, Earthquakes in Haiti and Chili

important stuff[/QUOTE]

or Tom Brady boxing. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=C Mart;3534850]or Tom Brady boxing. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Zing! :D

League won't announce any part of 2010 schedule until mid-April
    By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- In a change from the norm, the NFL will not announce any games scheduled for the 2010 season at the NFL Annual Meeting this week, according to a league source.

Generally, the league would announce some key primetime match-ups during the meeting, but that will not be the case this year. There are some unresolved issues, and the schedule is not ready for these games to be locked in yet.

An announcement on the full schedule is now expected to come at once in mid-April.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sg3;3534749]seriously folks, its MARCH

important stuff[/QUOTE]

If you don't care, then why respond... some of us are excited to get the schedule, plan the fall season, book trips, etc.....

[QUOTE=vjdbbq;3534905]League won't announce any part of 2010 schedule until mid-April
    By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- In a change from the norm, the NFL will not announce any games scheduled for the 2010 season at the NFL Annual Meeting this week, according to a league source.

Generally, the league would announce some key primetime match-ups during the meeting, but that will not be the case this year. There are some unresolved issues, and the schedule is not ready for these games to be locked in yet.

An announcement on the full schedule is now expected to come at once in mid-April.[/QUOTE]

The way this is going we will find out the schedule in July. Absolute joke. Doubt it comes out in mid-April, as usual.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Bay Ridge Jet;3534762]Packers? I think they use the Vikings for a Sunday night....and just like that we have 3 prime time games.[/QUOTE]

I thought that might be a possibility as well, perhaps even the Ravens, but I still don't think it's gonna be the Vikes and in all actuality, I hope it isn't...the wife's from MN and we were gonna head up to the new digs to catch the game, so I'd rather it not be during the TG holiday.

All League
    We really ****ed up the whole process, didn't we?

:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3534981]Any time there's a delay like this, with something that involves the Jets, assume the league is trying to concoct a way to screw the Jets ... you won't always be right, but you'll never go broke if you bet that way every time.

[B]IOW's, don't be surprised if we lose that Thanaksgiving nite home game we were supposedly getting[/B].[/QUOTE]

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Depends who you ask, I guess.

[QUOTE=cornjulio21;3534706]This also has to do with the Networks fighting over which games they want.

As an example Fox doesn't want to lose both Jet games, which means if Minny was to go Thanksgiving, then Fox would want Green Bay. I don't see them losing them both, and with Favre still in the air, the GB game may be a more compelling Prime Time game.

As for the Phins opening, that would mean either they would have to open on the road the first two weeks, or play again on the next Monday night as the Marlins are home the Sunday and Tuesday of week 2. That would also only give the stadium folk a day to get the stadium ready and back.I think the Phins will open at home and get scratched from this game. When's the last time a team played on back to back Monday nights?

I would think the Jets/Pats game will get slated for a Sunday night this year, and that CBS will want the other one.

With a pending lockout coming after this year, the league is going to really bend over backwards to make their Network partners happy.

I'm starting to think Minny or Green Bay will be here for the opener (Denver will get the late game) and Baltimore or Cincy will get Thanksgiving.

I do not think they will have back to back Monday night games on opening Monday without a NFC team involved. So if Denver gets that late game...we're hosting Minny or GB.

New England will be a Sunday night .

Balt or Pitt will be another prime timer and likely Monday or one of those late in the season Sat games.

Plenty of good games late in the year in flex position.[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of that. I think Jets-Vikes is too marquee for cable, so it wont be MNF or NFLN's Thanksgiving game. Look for that one to be a Sunday night game. That means FOX should keep the Packers game. I think the MNF game is against the Ravens, and the Thanksgiving game is against the Dolphins.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3535015]Well you have a point there, its not something I want as a season ticket holder either, but I think hosting that game offers a sizable advantage from a team POV, that's why I'm assuming the league would rather the Jets not have it.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing with all this scheduling nonsense....some people think the MNF game was a coup, some people think it was an insult, some people think it was a fair compromise. JMO, I normally dislike the MNF games as much as many here because its a long friggin' wait to watch Jet football and you get home from the game at 2am. In this case, however, I like the way it falls....nice weather on a September night (those opening weekends can be brutally hot in the afternoon), with an earlier start. Perfect for me, less perfect for those who need to travel to the game.

I agree with you though, when push comes to shove, teams view prime time games as a good thing. But, I doubt the league is studying a way to figure out how to screw the Jet fan the most. If they take away the Thanksgiving game from the Jets, whether its meant to be an F' You to Jet fans, I will give thanks several months early, as that game is probably the worst possible time from my personal stand point.

I couldn't care less if its considered an honor for the team, I'll be away at a place that doesn't have NFL Network and I'll have to be the degenerate son-in-law who is excusing himself from the post-Thanksgiving Day Feast to find a bar in Rehoboth Beach Delaware that is a) open and b) showing the game. Not that easy in a gay beach town in the offseason. :D

No use getting worked up about it. It is what it is.

[B][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/B][B]Weeks 16, 17 could feature division games only[/B]

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has consistently stated that he's troubled by late-season games in which teams that have already clinched a playoff seed decide to rest their top players rather than play to win.

[B]As a result, Goodell said today at the annual league meetings, he's hoping to arrange the schedule so that the last two weeks of the season are heavy on games featuring divisional opponents playing each other.[/B]

"It is still an issue and I spoke to the Competition Committee about it on Sunday," Goodell said. "One of the key things we're doing in the short term is in our scheduling. We're trying to schedule, potentially, Week 17 will be all division opponents. And maybe even a large part of Week 16.

"So we think that will address this to some extent. It will not necessarily eliminate the issue but the Competition Committee -- and I've stressed to them -- we need to continue to look at this because it's important to the quality of what we do, the integrity of our game."

Goodell is right that this proposal wouldn't eliminate the problem of Week 17 becoming irrelevant to most teams. Re-arranging the Colts' schedule, for instance, wouldn't have done anything to change the fact that they benched [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1493"]Peyton Manning[/URL] during Week 16 and sacrificed the chance at a perfect season.

But it's a step in the right direction. A final Sunday in which all 32 teams are playing divisional opponents sounds like a more exciting day of football than the NFL has given its fans in Week 17 the last few years.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/24/weeks-16-17-could-feature-division-games-only/[/URL]
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-24-2010 at 11:36 AM.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3536074][B][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/B][B]Weeks 16, 17 could feature division games only[/B]

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has consistently stated that he's troubled by late-season games in which teams that have already clinched a playoff seed decide to rest their top players rather than play to win.

[B]As a result, Goodell said today at the annual league meetings, he's hoping to arrange the schedule so that the last two weeks of the season are heavy on games featuring divisional opponents playing each other.[/B]

"It is still an issue and I spoke to the Competition Committee about it on Sunday," Goodell said. "One of the key things we're doing in the short term is in our scheduling. We're trying to schedule, potentially, Week 17 will be all division opponents. And maybe even a large part of Week 16.

"So we think that will address this to some extent. It will not necessarily eliminate the issue but the Competition Committee -- and I've stressed to them -- we need to continue to look at this because it's important to the quality of what we do, the integrity of our game."

Goodell is right that this proposal wouldn't eliminate the problem of Week 17 becoming irrelevant to most teams. Re-arranging the Colts' schedule, for instance, wouldn't have done anything to change the fact that they benched [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1493"]Peyton Manning[/URL] during Week 16 and sacrificed the chance at a perfect season.

But it's a step in the right direction. A final Sunday in which all 32 teams are playing divisional opponents sounds like a more exciting day of football than the NFL has given its fans in Week 17 the last few years.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/24/weeks-16-17-could-feature-division-games-only/[/URL][/QUOTE]

This would be one of Goodell's better decisions. not that there's a large pool to draw from.:yes: