Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No Announcement of Opening Weekend / Primetime Games This Week

[QUOTE=C Mart;3536074][B][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/B][B]Weeks 16, 17 could feature division games only[/B]

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has consistently stated that he's troubled by late-season games in which teams that have already clinched a playoff seed decide to rest their top players rather than play to win.

[B]As a result, Goodell said today at the annual league meetings, he's hoping to arrange the schedule so that the last two weeks of the season are heavy on games featuring divisional opponents playing each other.[/B]

"It is still an issue and I spoke to the Competition Committee about it on Sunday," Goodell said. "One of the key things we're doing in the short term is in our scheduling. We're trying to schedule, potentially, Week 17 will be all division opponents. And maybe even a large part of Week 16.

"So we think that will address this to some extent. It will not necessarily eliminate the issue but the Competition Committee -- and I've stressed to them -- we need to continue to look at this because it's important to the quality of what we do, the integrity of our game."

Goodell is right that this proposal wouldn't eliminate the problem of Week 17 becoming irrelevant to most teams. Re-arranging the Colts' schedule, for instance, wouldn't have done anything to change the fact that they benched [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1493"]Peyton Manning[/URL] during Week 16 and sacrificed the chance at a perfect season.

But it's a step in the right direction. A final Sunday in which all 32 teams are playing divisional opponents sounds like a more exciting day of football than the NFL has given its fans in Week 17 the last few years.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/24/weeks-16-17-could-feature-division-games-only/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Changing the OT still was a horrible decision and as Adam Schein put it, "a dark day for the NFL", but this would be an excellent decision. I don't know if I would have both Weeks 16 and 17 divisional, but at least Week 17 should be. Imagine Dolphins-Jets or Patriots-Jets every single year, Week 17. Nice. Of course, if we get the Bills then we can pencil in the W. ;)

Practice Squad
    Anyone hear any news on the Schedule?

This is important to folks like me who live out of town (Florida). It's now about 6 months to opening day and I'm starting to look at various personal and travel plans for the fall. With travel these days, 6 months is not too far ahead to look.

But for now my plans are on hold...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=CharlieDelray;3551904]Anyone hear any news on the Schedule?

This is important to folks like me who live out of town (Florida). It's now about 6 months to opening day and I'm starting to look at various personal and travel plans for the fall. With travel these days, 6 months is not too far ahead to look.

But for now my plans are on hold...[/QUOTE]

Nope, not a word which is ridiculous. Less than 2 weeks until the draft and we still have no idea. I too am trying to make a few games this year (from Atlanta) and need some time to make plans. Thanks, Goodell. :mad:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=CharlieDelray;3551904]Anyone hear any news on the Schedule?

But for now my plans are on hold...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=RageATL;3552242]Nope, not a word which is ridiculous. Less than 2 weeks until the draft and we still have no idea. I too am trying to make a few games this year (from Atlanta) and need some time to make plans. Thanks, Goodell. :mad:[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what you guys are complaining about.

Every year the NFL announces its schedule mid-April (April 14th last year).

You already know the Jets are playing home on MNF the first week..which is one more game than you knew about at this time a year ago.

Relax..should be announced, as usual, this week.

Jets Insider VIP
    have to agree with Phoenixx on this one

In fact we actually know when TWO regular season home games are going to be played which is two more than most teams know and one more than any other team knows

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3552248]I don't understand what you guys are complaining about.

You already know the Jets are playing home on MNF the first week..which is one more game than you knew about at this time a year ago.

Relax..should be announced, as usual, this week.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they are announcing it on Tuesday. I thought I saw it on ESPN's schedule

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3552270]I'm pretty sure they are announcing it on Tuesday. I thought I saw it on ESPN's schedule[/QUOTE]

Thus proving, to the remarkably impatient, that Roger Goodell is the spawn of Satan. :rolleyes:

Maybe Roger Goodell is waiting on Brett Favre to make his decision before he announces his the primetime/thanksgiving games. ;)

[QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3552285]Maybe Roger Goodell is waiting on Brett Favre to make his decision before he announces his the primetime/thanksgiving games. ;)[/QUOTE]

If that is the case, the schedule will not be released until after the 3rd preseason game when hard days of training camp is over. :D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;3552248]I don't understand what you guys are complaining about.

Relax..should be announced, as usual, this week.[/QUOTE]

It's the off-season, I'm bored and therefore looking for something, anything to get excited about. Oh yeah and I need to make travel plans.

Veteran
    The past few years its been right around April 15th, so I'm sure we'll get the whole thing next week. Its always before the draft.

It'll be a nice two weeks if we get the schedule next week. This is the Oasis in the football offseason.

My guess is Tues. or Wed., and if Goodell is really in a good mood we get it on Monday. Would not be surprised, if the "Are still in the process". I'm sure they have been done now for a few weeks.

Jets Insider VIP

Has any of the 2010 schedule been announced other than preseason?

I thought the NFL was going to announce Kickoff Weekend games, MNF, Thanksgiving, etc. a few weeks ago. Did that ever happen?

The only thing I've seen are our preseason dates (Giants in PS WK1???) but heard the Jets home opener could be on MNF in Week 1.

I haven't been on the board much lately so apologies if I missed it. Thanks.

All League
    If I remember correctly last year several teams posted a schedule on their web sites before the official announcement. NFL wants the big splash with no leaks. With the first round of the draft in prime time this year, I could see it being done then. Just a guess.

Jets Insider VIP
    they announced that the Giants will open the new stadium on Sunday 9/11 and the Jets will play the first ever MNF game in the new stadium on Monday 9/12

and it is reported that the Jets will play a home Thanksgiving night game (NFL Network)

opponents haven't been announced so I think all we have are that and the Thursday opening night game in New Orleans

Jets Insider VIP
    I believed the entire schedule was announced on April 14 last year

This coming week was the sked release week last year so I'm expecting it either Tues. or Wed. Unless Goodell has other ideas...

By the way I just checked ESPN's schedule and I saw that on Tuesday at 5:30 (When PTI would usually be on), it says "programming TBD" and PTI will be on ESPN2. Might be a sign of things to come

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sg3;3553071]they announced that the Giants will open the new stadium on [B]Sunday 9/11[/B] and the Jets will play the first ever MNF game in the new stadium on [B]Monday 9/12[/B]

and it is reported that the Jets will play a home Thanksgiving night game (NFL Network)

opponents haven't been announced so I think all we have are that and the Thursday opening night game in New Orleans[/QUOTE]

Thanks. But isn't Sunday 9/12 and Monday 9/13? Did the NFL really announce those exact dates???

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3553170]Thanks. But isn't Sunday 9/12 and Monday 9/13? Did the NFL really announce those exact dates???[/QUOTE]

Yes, your dates are correct.

And as a result of FlipGate, the NFL did announce those dates as confirmed.