Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Braylon here long term?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ListerFiend;3534656]there are dozens of reports saying that after a cap-less year, its almost impossible to re-implement a cap.

i believe even the head of the players union said it.[/QUOTE]

i feel it will come back. the recession will play a large role in the upcoming CBA.

its highly questionable that the Jets pay Braylon

he had 1 big catch in AFC CG but before that he had terrible ugly drops all the time

the cap isn't an issue... what's a bigger issue is the money the Jets aren't getting from naming rights or PSLs. They are acting cheap right now... Revis and Mangold should have new deals by now... Braylon... forget him, he's like 5th on the list.

Not the biggest Edwards fan but he's certainly very talented. The ideal scenario, I think, would be to draft a potential number one this year, let Edwards play out this season and hopefully put up huge numbers as he's playing for a new contract. Then franchise him after the season (if the tag still exists), and trade him for like a 3rd rounder to recoup the pick we lost from the Cromartie trade.

Hopefully. He's certainly got the upside of a top WR and he's entering his prime years...It'd be better than having to draft someone.

That said, it's make or break for him this year because if he f's up his chance here we're grabbing one of the WR beasts in the 2011 draft.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=bitonti;3534714]its highly questionable that the Jets pay Braylon

he had 1 big catch in AFC CG but before that he had terrible ugly drops all the time

the cap isn't an issue... what's a bigger issue is the money the Jets aren't getting from naming rights or PSLs. [B]They are acting cheap right now... Revis and Mangold should have new deals by now[/B]... Braylon... forget him, he's like 5th on the list.[/QUOTE]

If its status quo on October 1st (the deadline to extend is somewhere in October), you'll have a point. But, there's no rush for the Jets to extend any player between now and the beginning of the season. I'd put a significant piece of cheddar down that 2 of Revis, Mangold, D'Brick and Harris are signed long term before the season starts.

Right now, its not a matter of being cheap, its a matter of waiting and seeing what develops. If the team was cheap, Braylon would have been tendered at only a 1st rounder.

[QUOTE=crasherino;3534748]If its status quo on October 1st (the deadline to extend is somewhere in October), you'll have a point. But, there's no rush for the Jets to extend any player between now and the beginning of the season. I'd put a significant piece of cheddar down that 2 of Revis, Mangold, D'Brick and Harris are signed long term before the season starts.

Right now, its not a matter of being cheap, its a matter of waiting and seeing what develops. If the team was cheap, Braylon would have been tendered at only a 1st rounder.[/QUOTE]

realistically it will take close to 200 million guarunteed to lock up Revis, Brick, Mangold, Harris, and Braylon. All except Harris were former first rounders... all are at least pro bowl alternates, mangold and revis are all pros... what this adds up to is Alot of cash.... and if they ALL got it that would be surprising. Someone's gonna get franchised.

Its a good sign that he is there working out with the majority of the team this week, I'll say that much. This is exactly what Rex wanted Braylon to do, and he's doing it. I'm a big fan of Braylon, and I believe if he continues to make strides towards a good relationship with Sanchez, no matter if we take a Benn/Tate/Bryant in Round 1, that he will get a long term deal following the 2010 season and that he will be here for another 4, 5 years. He is still a #1 WR in this league, and you need three good receivers, and the Jets currently only have two in Edwards and Cotchery.

The only way I could see it being a sign that Edwards last year in NY will be in 2010 is if we do pull the trigger in a trade for Brandon Marshall, because at that point you can't possibly pay both Marshall and Edwards $6-10 million a year, plus Cotchery making $4-5 million a year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Gotta wait and see what he does this season. I've read that he's never participated in voluntary offseason stuff with Cleveland so him being in attendance for the Jets is a big plus.

This coming season he can't have so many costly drops. I know he's never going to have hands like Cotchery but Braylon dropped four sure touchdown passes last season, which just isn't acceptable.

Draft Golden Tate either way, if Braylon has a big season we've got a potentially awesome trio of receivers, if Braylon doesn't meet expectations we've got Cotchery & Tate, who could complement each other well.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 03-23-2010 at 02:25 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3534805]realistically it will take close to 200 million guarunteed to lock up Revis, Brick, Mangold, Harris, and Braylon. All except Harris were former first rounders... all are at least pro bowl alternates, [B]mangold and revis are all pros[/B]... what this adds up to is Alot of cash.... and if they ALL got it that would be surprising. Someone's gonna get franchised.[/QUOTE]

Harris made 2nd team all pro also :bag_of_ca

[QUOTE=ListerFiend;3534656]there are dozens of reports saying that after a cap-less year, its [U]almost impossible to re-implement a cap[/U].

i believe even the head of the players union said it.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that the cap won't return soon, simply because there's only a finite amount of $$ that can be paid out to players before running a sports franchise becomes uneconomical for most teams. Franchises in larger markets/larger fanbase might be able to remain competitive but the smaller ones certainly won't. More so in a down economy.

The cap acts to promote parity in the league, without it we could anticipate anarchy with mad bidding for the best players who will follow the $$$ to the richest clubs, with the poorer ones folding. Also, desperate clubs will sign players to exorbitant contracts that they can't honour, leading to litigation down the line. Ultimately, the higher prices will be pushed on to the public not all of whom will be able to pay pricey PSL's etc. what a tragedy that would be.

In the best interests of the game the cap will return. I also believe that a rookie salary cap is imminent. Too many franchise owners have been stung by high priced duds. Perhaps performance based rookie contracts with minimal guaranteed moolah is the way to go. I look forward to the day bums like Jahbust become an endangered species.

Getting back to the thread topic :) I think Braylon is hungry to prove himself and will be rewarded with an appropriate extension. Personally I have no interest in seeing BM in green and white as he'll take up too much $$ (we need to lock up Revis and co) and is an unstable lowlife - counterproductive to team cohesion etc.

Banned
    Edwards is the most talented wr this franchise has had since Al Toon. I want to see if he can come up big next year. If he has an excellent year (1,200+ yds 10+ tds) definitely you have to lock him up and if he develops chemistry with Sanchez he is more valuable than Mangold or Brick.

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3535561]Edwards is the most talented wr this franchise has had since Al Toon. I want to see if he can come up big next year. If he has an excellent year (1,200+ yds 10+ tds) definitely you have to lock him up and if he develops chemistry with Sanchez he is more valuable than Mangold or Brick.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I think the Jets bet on him being our version of Plaxico Burress and I hope it comes to fruition. Like Burress, Edwards was a top 10 pick in his draft and left his first team with a bad taste in his mouth. Like Burress, Edwards has a whole lot of upside for his 2nd team, and hopefully a more mature approach to the game.

All League
    Woody 46,

You are correct

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/14/your-2009-all-pro-team/[/url]
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 03-23-2010 at 11:27 PM.

He has to prove he can hold on to the ball first

All League
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;3534496]With the possibility of us taking a WR in the 1st. And the upcoming mega deals for Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris and probably Cro, could this be Braylon's last year with us?

If we go WR in the 1st and he shows promise is it possible we don't sign Braylon long term?

If Braylon blows up and becomes a must sign can we afford huge deals for everyone? Who's expendable?

What are your thoughts?[/QUOTE]
    i'm not sure. i really don't think the jets take a wr in the 1st round. edwards will be here long term if he plays well. his blocking skills are superb and if he can just have a pretty good season i think that's enough to keep him here.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=bitonti;3534805]realistically it will take close to 200 million guarunteed to lock up Revis, Brick, Mangold, Harris, and Braylon. All except Harris were former first rounders... all are at least pro bowl alternates, mangold and revis are all pros... what this adds up to is Alot of cash.... and if they ALL got it that would be surprising. Someone's gonna get franchised.[/QUOTE]

Getting franchised would mean they are keeping him, at least for another year. If 2 of the guys get paid this year (Revis and Mangold, for arguments sake), 2 of the guys get paid next year (Harris and D'Brick) and the remainder (Edwards) gets franchised and paid in 2012, everyone is taken care of.

So, if we hold off making a decision as to whether we keep Edwards until 2012, when he's 29 or so, I'm ok with that. He'll have made $5 million in 2010, whatever the franchise tag is in 2011 (probably $11 million), and then be in line for a contract. He shouldn't be too upset about that either.

I think Braylon's expendable IF we sign Marshall :yes: