Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Braylon here long term?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Is Braylon here long term?

With the possibility of us taking a WR in the 1st. And the upcoming mega deals for Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris and probably Cro, could this be Braylon's last year with us?

If we go WR in the 1st and he shows promise is it possible we don't sign Braylon long term?

If Braylon blows up and becomes a must sign can we afford huge deals for everyone? Who's expendable?

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by LockeJET; 03-23-2010 at 09:36 AM.

All Pro
    He took the first step by showing up to OTA's. Sometimes a guy needs a change of scenery. He came to us after the season started lets give him a chance.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3534498]He took the first step by showing up to OTA's. Sometimes a guy needs a change a scenery. He came to us after the season started lets give him a chance.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. He's our #1 big play threat. But we have a ton of huge deals coming up. And we could also be taking a WR in round 1. Can we pay Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Cro and Edwards all big money?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;3534499]No doubt. He's our #1 big play threat. But we have a ton of huge deals coming up. And we could also be taking a WR in round 1. Can we pay Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Cro and Edwards all big money?[/QUOTE]

yes. do you know who our GM is?

[QUOTE=LockeJET;3534496]Is Braylon here long term?[/QUOTE]

Yes

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3534501]yes. do you know who our GM is?[/QUOTE]

That's 6 mega deals looming. Not an easy task for any GM. Who's expendable if we can't sign all 6?

[QUOTE=LockeJET;3534499]No doubt. He's our #1 big play threat. But we have a ton of huge deals coming up. And we could also be taking a WR in round 1. Can we pay Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Cro and Edwards all big money?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3534501]yes. do you know who our GM is?[/QUOTE]

Actually Wesker, no one knows what the new CBA and cap will look like so it's not really possible to answer that question. Teams have to be very careful extending guys this year until the unkowns are figured out.

All League
    [QUOTE=TampaT;3534502]Yes[/QUOTE]

Good I want this guy to stay a Jet..he is a our true #1 not taking anything away from Cotch but Braylon can be a receiver that demands to be doubled..

[QUOTE=LockeJET;3534503]That's 6 mega deals looming. Not an easy task for any GM. Who's expendable if we can't sign all 6?[/QUOTE]

Revis.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

By no means am I saying let him walk. I want him here long term. In fact, after this season I feel he wll be a priority must sign. He could easily have 1200 plus with 10 plus TD's.

But if we take a WR in round 1 who shows major pomise and the upcoming mega deals this team is looking at for 5-6 guys, someone may be expendable. Could it Braylon. I hope not. But im not sure we can sign everyone.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Polidore22;3534511]Revis.[/QUOTE]

Yeah right!

All Pro

Lets see what 2010 brings for Braylon it is a huge year for him. I am sure Mr. T. will get the right deals done, these things will work its way out.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;3534503]That's 6 mega deals looming. Not an easy task for any GM. Who's expendable if we can't sign all 6?[/QUOTE]

The way I see this happening is I think it's a forgone conclusion that Revis signs an extension this offseason. If Tanny is smart (which I think he is) he will also lock up another "core" player. I'd go with Harris. This way Harris & Revis will be here for a long time. Revis a 7-year deal, Harris a 6-year deal. Revis will probably sign for an enormous amt but let's be serious..he's the best defensive player in the league right now.

That leaves Brick, Mangold, Cromartie, and Edwards. Brick and Mangold will see their extentions eitherr during the season or next offseason. Cromartie and Edwards gotta show the Jets something but if they do then they'll be back otherwise no dice.

Leon is the player that will get "left out" so to speak. As was Thomas Jones.

I sincerely doubt Mangold, Ferguson, Revis, Harris go anywhere. The odd-man out is Leon

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3534504]Actually Wesker, no one knows what the new CBA and cap will look like so it's not really possible to answer that question. Teams have to be very careful extending guys this year until the unkowns are figured out.[/QUOTE]

good point Vinny but I feel it's much ado about nothing. Much like the refs strike in 2001

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Let's also not forget we need to figure out where Leon fits long term. I'm pretty certain Leon will be gone after this year. Maybe before.

But lets say he stays. And shows he hasn't lost a step. It's a good problem to have for this season but long term we can't keep everyone.

Mr.T will find a way.

All League

Yes, but it will require some older players with big contracts (examples, Faneca, Woody, Thomas, Ellis) getting cut.

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3534504]Actually Wesker, no one knows what the new CBA and cap will look like so it's not really possible to answer that question. Teams have to be very careful extending guys this year until the unkowns are figured out.[/QUOTE]

Although I agree with you, Kraft and Johnson are both high on the list of owners 'in the know'.

Both seem ready to extend their young 'franchise' players to long term deals.

Even though Brady isn't young, he has a big pay day coming this offseason as well.

We all know the rookie salary cap is coming. That's going to take a huge chunk of change out of the salary cap for that draft year and subsequent years.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Which is probably why no long term deals (other than guys expiring this year) have been struck just yet. At the end of the day, I'm sure the Jets have at least 2 long term deals ready to go for their group of core guys, but there's no sense in getting them done now (as opposed to August) when they may have a better sense of how the CBA will work going forward.

Ultimately, I'm sure there will be long term deals finalized before the deadline for applying money to 2010, with big upfront payments. But, teams probably want to move forward with the most knowledge possible in order to gain the most flexibility going forward.

Veteran
    there are dozens of reports saying that after a cap-less year, its almost impossible to re-implement a cap.

i believe even the head of the players union said it.