Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex's thoughts on using LT and Leon (merged)

Rex's thoughts on using LT and Leon (merged)

[QUOTE]Not only that, but Ryan said he envisioned Washington's role as somewhat more limited than the player might want, something that could have an impact on contract negotiations.

"We had an idea that he wasn’t going to be there," Ryan said of the workouts. "It is a voluntary situation, but the rest of his teammates volunteered to be there, so it was disappointing that he wasn’t there ... We'll have to ask Leon why he's not here."

I asked Ryan what he expected out of Washington this year, and the second-year head coach said he envisioned a return to Leon's previous role.

[B]"What we should do with him, in my opinion, is put him back to his role which he had initially, which is third-down back, a change-of-pace type back, and a Pro Bowl returner. And there's nothing wrong with that."[/B]

Ryan envisions a more active role in the rushing offense for newly acquired LaDainian Tomlinson.

[B]"Hypothetically, we'd see him carry the ball 15 times a game," Ryan said. "We're just going to ground and pound away. I'm sure some games he'll have more rushing attempts than Shonn Greene, and I think Shonn will have more than L.T. in other games."[/B][/QUOTE][url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/glauber-s-nfl-hot-reads-1.811959/questions-persist-about-leon-washington-s-future-with-the-jets-1.1825814[/url]

Leon returning to that role is good but that's not what he wants, and what he wants to be paid for. So that's trouble. And LT getting 15 carries and more sometimes the Greene...yeah I don't know how I feel about that.

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;3534588][url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/glauber-s-nfl-hot-reads-1.811959/questions-persist-about-leon-washington-s-future-with-the-jets-1.1825814[/url]

Leon returning to that role is good but that's not what he wants, and what he wants to be paid for. So that's trouble. And LT getting 15 carries and more sometimes the Greene...yeah I don't know how I feel about that.[/QUOTE]

15 carries... I don't mind. More carries than Shonn Greene? I think he's just saying he can't predict the future. Going with the hot hand I presume. I like that. If LT sucks the balls then Leon is gonna take his carries anyway. Greene is gonna be abusing the defense for most of the game I think.

i could give a **** how many carries anyone gets as long as we get the desired results.

Leon is replaceable.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3534588][url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/glauber-s-nfl-hot-reads-1.811959/questions-persist-about-leon-washington-s-future-with-the-jets-1.1825814[/url]

Leon returning to that role is good but that's not what he wants, and what he wants to be paid for. So that's trouble. And LT getting 15 carries and more sometimes the Greene...yeah I don't know how I feel about that.[/QUOTE]

the training wheels are still on Greene. Greene was so effective towards the end of the season because he was so fresh. Greene is a bruiser but he must not be overused. RB by commitee is the way to go in the NFL, WR too. it's all about your line and your QB play.

All League
    From a organizational standpoint - you can't blame the Jets in acquiring another back in LT. Had LW stayed healthy I think this whole conversation is a mute point because they would have signed him to a long term deal. But injuries happen, and we have a young back in Greene that we haven't had in years. Our RB's have often lacked speed from Curtis Martin and Lamont Jordan till now. LW has some speed and while he's no burner he did change the momentem in many of games with his KR/PR and occasional 20-30 yard runs. But I'm not sure if he's a FT back in this offense, he a Reggie Bush type back with playmaking ability. Not a ground and pound guy like SG.

All that said, after a horrific injury like he had, how could he expect the Jets to sign him to a long term deal? He's getting 1.75m this year - and I'm sure the Jets wouldn't tag him next year - if anything he would be trade bait for the trading deadline if he comes back from his injury. The second round tender is a tease for many of a team, but who would sign a player with a injury like that for a second rounder when you can draft a player in the draft.
    Plus any new team would be expected to sign him to a better contract then the tender at 1.75m, would you do that as a GM?

Rookie
    [QUOTE=dassin;3534608]Leon is replaceable.[/QUOTE]

I agree...especially with a 2nd Round pick

[QUOTE=dassin;3534608]Leon is replaceable.[/QUOTE]

He is making himself replaceable... again as I love to say... Alvin Keels is a jack a$$ and screwed Leon, 5 years 15MM with 6MM or so up front last year not good enough and this year 3 years and 9MM with 4MM up front they would take in a minute.

two things:

on Leon -- that's the role in which he's had by far the most success. usually when he gets 10+ carries, the results are very average. not bad, just not 5-6 YPC he gets in more situational touches. and last season showed we need his skills in the return game far more than we need them in the ground game.

on LT -- notice that Rex said "hypotethically he gets 15 carries" meaning that if LT is back to form and can take advantage of our OL's run-blocking, he'll have a very prominent role. don't forget that we have yet to see if Greene is capable of shouldering the load full-time. of course we all want to see him be that guy, but if we also have LT, might as well use him to keep Greene fresh for the whole year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I probably agree that what Rex is saying is the best allocation of playing time, but its probably not the most wise thing to say at this point. He should be trying to placate Leon and not telling him at this point that his play will be limited. Probably should have taken the tact of "It all depends on the situation, how the season goes and everyone's health....I can see each one of those guys getting more carries than the others at any given point."

Not a false statement.

or the jets would prefer leon to leave, the jets get a draft pick(s) and move on.

[QUOTE=crasherino;3534626]I probably agree that what Rex is saying is the best allocation of playing time, but its probably not the most wise thing to say at this point. He should be trying to placate Leon and not telling him at this point that his play will be limited. Probably should have taken the tact of "It all depends on the situation, how the season goes and everyone's health....I can see each one of those guys getting more carries than the others at any given point."

Not a false statement.[/QUOTE]

why should the Jets placate Leon? they basically offered him Thomas Jones money last year, and he thought that wasn't enough.

now he's in a very tough spot with not leverage whatsoever... why should the Jets play his game?

With the way Rex is talking, you would think we're still planning on running the ball 40 times a game every week. But if our intentions to get more balanced offensively hold true, Rex is going to find there's not enough carries to do everything he wants there. Point is, if we're only running it 30 times a game, most weeks there won't be enough carries for LT to get 15 if we're keeping both Greene and Leon involved. I wonder who the loser will be there between the RB's.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3534631]With the way Rex is talking, you would think we're still planning on running the ball 40 times a game every week. But if our intentions to get more balanced offensively hold true, Rex is going to find there's not enough carries to do everything he wants there. Point is, if we're only running it 30 times a game, most weeks there won't be enough carries for LT to get 15 if we're keeping both Greene and Leon involved. I wonder who the loser will be there between the RB's.[/QUOTE]

fewer runs means more passes. who catches them? 1) any wr they draft in the first 2 rounds, 2) LT and 3) leon. leon's primary value this year will be dump off option.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3534631]With the way Rex is talking, you would think we're still planning on running the ball 40 times a game every week. But if our intentions to get more balanced offensively hold true, Rex is going to find there's not enough carries to do everything he wants there. Point is, if we're only running it 30 times a game, most weeks there won't be enough carries for LT to get 15 if we're keeping both Greene and Leon involved. I wonder who the loser will be there between the RB's.[/QUOTE]

no offense, but i think you're reading way too much into a comment made on March 22nd

Jets Insider VIP
    LT will be the starting rb for us this year. and its sad because it should be Shonn Greene. Just when you thought this team has turned the corner, they fall back into old habits.

Since Rex Ryans gutless playcalling in the AFC Championship game, I have not been impressed with anything he has done or said since then.

[QUOTE=augustiniak;3534634]fewer runs means more passes. who catches them? 1) any wr they draft in the first 2 rounds, 2) LT and 3) leon. leon's primary value this year will be dump off option.[/QUOTE]

Last year we ran the ball the most times in the league (By far) and passed the ball the least amount of times in the league (By far). Wanting to get more balanced only makes sense. Sanchez isn't a rookie anymore. It'd be nice to ask a little more out of him.

You're right that LT and Leon will pick up some of those extra receptions, but Edwards, Cotchery, Keller, Slot WR would all likely pick up some extra targets as well.

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3534636]no offense, but i think you're reading way too much into a comment made on March 22nd[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but it's the offseason. We got time to nitpick on statements Rex makes.

The thing is, the 2 statements are kinda contradictory.

He said in January that we want to get more balanced.

Now he's saying that he wants LT to get 15 carries a game (Which will be more or less then Greene depending on the week, so lets assume they see at least 15 carries for Greene as well), plus 3rd down duty and change of pace back for Leon, so lets assume another 5-7 carries there. That's 35-37 carries a game, or basically what we did last year.

If Rex holds true to his said plan of being more balanced, there won't be enough carries to do that second plan. In which case, someone's workload will end up being cut in exchange for those added passing attempts.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3534644]Last year we ran the ball the most times in the league (By far) and passed the ball the least amount of times in the league (By far). Wanting to get more balanced only makes sense. Sanchez isn't a rookie anymore. It'd be nice to ask a little more out of him.

You're right that LT and Leon will pick up some of those extra receptions, but Edwards, Cotchery, Keller, Slot WR would all likely pick up some extra targets as well.

Perhaps, but it's the offseason. We got time to nitpick on statements Rex makes.

The thing is, the 2 statements are kinda contradictory.

He said in January that we want to get more balanced.

Now he's saying that he wants LT to get 15 carries a game (Which will be more or less then Greene depending on the week, so lets assume they see at least 15 carries for Greene as well), plus 3rd down duty and change of pace back for Leon, so lets assume another 5-7 carries there. That's 35-37 carries a game, or basically what we did last year.

If Rex holds true to his said plan of being more balanced, there won't be enough carries to do that second plan. In which case, someone's workload will end up being cut in exchange for those added passing attempts.[/QUOTE]

with regard to LT, if you change the word 'carries' to 'touches' i think it makes more sense. having LT and, perhaps, leon, will change the offense and give sanchez the safety options he didn't have last year.

[QUOTE=augustiniak;3534650]with regard to LT, if you change the word 'carries' to 'touches' i think it makes more sense. having LT and, perhaps, leon, will change the offense and give sanchez the safety options he didn't have last year.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but that's not what Rex said. He said carries. Maybe he misspoke though.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3534638]LT will be the starting rb for us this year. and its sad because it should be Shonn Greene. Just when you thought this team has turned the corner, they fall back into old habits.

Since Rex Ryans gutless playcalling in the AFC Championship game, I have not been impressed with anything he has done or said since then.[/QUOTE]

lol...