Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Jersey Landmark Question

Random Jersey Landmark Question

My GF and I were driving to Atlantic City from CT and drove back the same way. Took the GW bridge to the Garden State Parkway. While on the Parkway (I think), there was a segment where if we looked toward the water (toward the east), there were these HUUUGE shipping containers and cranes as far as the eye could see. No houses, no buildings, just a huge area of these giant mechanical arms, probably for lifting said containers. I've never ever seen such a massive place of such massive machinery. We were both in awe - nothing like that in CT. I looked but I couldn't find it on Google Earth, probably because I don't remember quite where I was when I saw it. Could have been on I95 or on the Parkway.

Question is: What town was I in and what is that place? Is it a shipyard? Is it a truck loading depot? Is it for oil?

Thanks!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I want to say Carteret NJ...a very smelly area

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Not long ago I took a cruise that left Port Liberty in Jersey, and right across from the ship was the sight you're describing - at least that's how I saw it.

All League
    Newark

[QUOTE=jetswin;3534643]I want to say Carteret NJ...a very smelly area[/QUOTE]

A very smelly area in Jersey? That hardly narrows it down JW.;)

Board Moderator
    You're all wrong.

It's the Port of Elizabeth.

I believe it's one of the busiest seaports on the east coast aside from Miami.

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3338/3649151383_62176690f5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Line3174_-_Shipping_Containers_at_the_terminal_at_Port_Elizabeth,_New_Jersey_-_NOAA.jpg/800px-Line3174_-_Shipping_Containers_at_the_terminal_at_Port_Elizabeth,_New_Jersey_-_NOAA.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Ha Ha Ha; 03-23-2010 at 12:50 PM.

[QUOTE=Ha Ha Ha;3534736]You're all wrong.

It's the Port of Elizabeth.

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3338/3649151383_62176690f5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Line3174_-_Shipping_Containers_at_the_terminal_at_Port_Elizabeth,_New_Jersey_-_NOAA.jpg/800px-Line3174_-_Shipping_Containers_at_the_terminal_at_Port_Elizabeth,_New_Jersey_-_NOAA.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

It's port Newark and Port Elizabeth

[QUOTE=acepepe;3534742]It's port Newark and Port Elizabeth[/QUOTE]

Yes it is - just looked it up on Google Maps. A huge port halfway between Newark and Elizabeth.

Thanks!

And by the way - I'm sure there are good parts of Jersey, but they aren't along I-95 or Rte. 9. The AC was broken (not making cold air) so we had the vent on, and every 10 miles or so we'd be overwhelmed by the smell of rotten garbage.

OK, Mods - you can dump this if you like. Thanks again everyone.

BTW, if you ever go to Atlantic City - Caesar's Palace has the best gaming of anything on the Boardwalk, but our room at the Showboat was excellent. A good time. Way better food than I expected.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=GreenJoe;3534987]
    OK, Mods - you can dump this if you like. Thanks again everyone.

.[/QUOTE]
    Jersey?

If only I could figure out how.

[QUOTE=GreenJoe;3534633]My GF and I were driving to Atlantic City from CT and drove back the same way. Took the GW bridge to the Garden State Parkway. While on the Parkway (I think), there was a segment where if we looked toward the water (toward the east), there were these HUUUGE shipping containers and cranes as far as the eye could see. No houses, no buildings, just a huge area of these giant mechanical arms, probably for lifting said containers. I've never ever seen such a massive place of such massive machinery. We were both in awe - nothing like that in CT. I looked but I couldn't find it on Google Earth, probably because I don't remember quite where I was when I saw it. Could have been on I95 or on the Parkway.

Question is: What town was I in and what is that place? Is it a shipyard? Is it a truck loading depot? Is it for oil?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

LOL, I'm just imagining a couple of slack-jawed country folk gazing in wonder at the docks in Newark. :D You passed the Linden Cogeneration plant too -- a big oil refinery that looks like a city scape from the distant, bleak future. Welcome to NJ.

You were on the Turnpike, btw, not the Parkway.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=pauliec;3535482]:D You passed the Linden Cogeneration plant too -- a big oil refinery that looks like a city scape from the distant, bleak future. Welcome to NJ.

[/QUOTE]

lmao...when I was a kid there would be us kids in the back of the unairconditioned car and whenever we passed that part of the TP, I would say "here comes the headaches" and sure enough we'd all be writhing in pain for ten minutes after passing through that anti- bio-sphere...serious chemical headaches!:eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Thats just the way I like it, keep as many people out as possible. Let people think that is what 100% of NJ is like, when that is 25% of it, segregated.

Jets Insider VIP
    NJ Turnpike.

Greatest highway in the world.

Jets Insider VIP
    Early north Jersey industrial skyline I'm a all set cobra jet creepin' through the nighttime
    Gotta find a gas station gotta find a payphone this turnpike sure is spooky at night when you're all alone
    Gotta hit the gas 'cause I'm runnin' late, this New Jersey n the mornin' like a lunar landscape

10 points to whoever can identify the song.

[QUOTE=Ruby2;3535541]Early north Jersey industrial skyline I'm a all set cobra jet creepin' through the nighttime
    Gotta find a gas station gotta find a payphone this turnpike sure is spooky at night when you're all alone
    Gotta hit the gas 'cause I'm runnin' late, this New Jersey n the mornin' like a lunar landscape

10 points to whoever can identify the song.[/QUOTE]

Open All Night by Bruce :yes:

[QUOTE=Ruby2;3535539]NJ Turnpike.

Greatest highway in the world.[/QUOTE]

Hell yes.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3535548]Open All Night by Bruce :yes:[/QUOTE]

You rock:yes:

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3535482]LOL, I'm just imagining a couple of slack-jawed country folk gazing in wonder at the docks in Newark. :D You passed the Linden Cogeneration plant too -- a big oil refinery that looks like a city scape from the distant, bleak future. Welcome to NJ.

You were on the Turnpike, btw, not the Parkway.[/QUOTE]

Last I heard, Norfolk, VA cranked out more container tonnage than little ol Port Elizabeth. :D

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3535556]Last I heard, Norfolk, VA cranked out more container tonnage than little ol Port Elizabeth. :D[/QUOTE]

You win. I guess. :confused:

[QUOTE=32green;3535504]lmao...when I was a kid there would be us kids in the back of the unairconditioned car and whenever we passed that part of the TP, I would say "here comes the headaches" and sure enough we'd all be writhing in pain for ten minutes after passing through that anti- bio-sphere...serious chemical headaches!:eek:[/QUOTE]

You should thank NJ for that, the air probably boosted your immune system to superhuman levels.