Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified OT rule passed.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Modified OT rule passed.

Per Mort and Schefter.

[quote]Adam_Scheter: In May, NFL owners will discuss whether to amend the modified OT proposal to also include the regular season for 2010[/quote]

The vote passed 28-4.

They passed 28-4 to modify the OT rule in the playoffs.

The rules are as follows. (To my understanding)

If a TD is scored the game is over.

If a FG is scored, the other team will receive the ball back.

If that team then scores a TD, the game is over.

If that team does not score a TD, but instead kicks a FG, the original scoring team will receive the ball back and the next team to score (FG or TD) will prevail.

If the first team does not score on their opening possession and the other team receives the ball, a FG would win it.

The rules only apply to ensure both teams get a fair shot at defending the entire field with the hopes of receiving the ball, rather than defending a short field and giving up a FG and walking back leaving fans unsatisfied.
    Last edited by Revi$_I$l@nd; 03-23-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    they voted 28-4 to discuss it in May or they voted 28-4 to change the OT rules for 2010??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't bet but I am curious to know how this might affect betting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which actual rule is it? The extra possession or the first to 6 rule? I actually like the first to 6 idea.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;3534996]I don't bet but I am curious to know how this might affect betting.[/QUOTE]

Just a thought....it will probably motivate teams to go for 6 instead of settling for a FG. So, if you are getting 5 points, you weren't as safe as you would be if teams were going for the FG 9 times out of 10. Ditto with the over/under.

Overall though, probably not a material issue.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3534993]they voted 28-4 to discuss it in May or they voted 28-4 to change the OT rules for 2010??[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I should have realized some may not have read the back story the last few weeks.

My apologies.

If that team does not score a TD, but instead kicks a FG, the original scoring team will receive the ball back and the next team to score (FG or TD) will prevail.

If the first team does not score on their opening possession and the other team receives the ball, a FG would win it.

That make sense?
    Last edited by Revi$_I$l@nd; 03-23-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3534988]Per Mort and Schefter.

The vote passed 28-4.

The rules only apply to ensure both teams get a fair shot at defending the entire field with the hopes of receiving the ball, rather than defending a short field and giving up a FG and walking back leaving fans unsatisfied.[/QUOTE]

I think they should just abolish it and go back to the old days of "ties". Then all y'alls can know what real frustration feels like. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stupid, stupid decision. I'm disappointed that the Jets changed their NO vote to a YES. This just further goes towards ruining the game.

Dumb.

Even the Vikings, the most recent team who you would think would vote YES to this, were one of the four teams who voted NO.

Next up: Getting rid of Defense and Special Teams... within 15 years, they probably will. Whoever runs the fastest to the endzone 50 times, wins.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3535013]I think they should just abolish it and go back to the old days of "ties". Then all y'alls can know what real frustration feels like. :D[/QUOTE]

The only time my Alma mater won an NCAA championship (in football) was a tie with ND.

I wasn't alive but I get it :(

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3535003]Sorry, I should have realized some may not have read the back story the last few weeks.

My apologies.

That make sense?[/QUOTE]

What happens if the defensive team scores a safety on the first drive of OT?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3535018]Stupid, stupid decision. I'm disappointed that the Jets changed their NO vote to a YES. This just further goes towards ruining the game.

Dumb.

Even the Vikings, the most recent team who you would think would vote YES to this, were one of the four teams who voted NO.

Next up: Getting rid of Defense and Special Teams... within 15 years, they probably will. Whoever runs the fastest to the endzone 50 times, wins.[/QUOTE]

Yep, we can thank Goodell for ruining the game we love.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3535020]The only time my Alma mater won an NCAA championship (in football) was a tie with ND.

I wasn't alive but I get it :([/QUOTE]

Like kissin' yer sister. But then again.......I've seen some sister's..... :groucho:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3535022]What happens if the defensive team scores a safety on the first drive of OT?[/QUOTE]

Game over.

But very good question :D

I believe it's written that a defensive score ends the game, regardless of point total.

That would include a safety.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3535023]Yep, we can thank Goodell for ruining the game we love.[/QUOTE]

This, coupled with the schedule release crap/coin toss, is a disgrace.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3535025]Like kissin' yer sister. But then again.......I've seen some sister's..... :groucho:[/QUOTE]

What about 'hot mamma's.?

[img]http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/04/17/sophialoren_narrowweb__300x392,0.jpg[/img]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3535002]Just a thought....it will probably motivate teams to go for 6 instead of settling for a FG. ...[/QUOTE]
    If you're on the 2 yard line, and get stuffed, you still have a good chance of winning if you force a punt and then get good field position for an easy FG. A goaline stand may not be so good in that case.

I guess it's better than the current rule, but it will cause some strange things to happen I'll bet.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, not to piss on your parade anymore than I already have...........

[quote]BobGlauber: Overtime vote is not a "one-year only" situation. It is a permanent change for the postseason. Regular season still a possibility, too.[/quote]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    another thing, onsides kick may be a worth a shot

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get how they can do this just for playoffs... if they are going to do that then make it for the regular season too. If that were done... expect a **** load more ties.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Retarded.