Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Report: Broncos may drop asking price for Marshall

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would not be worth the risk unless the Jets were able to put a clause in his new contract that voids it if he starts up his antics.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=paule;3535472]Marshall is due $2.2 Million this year, the last year of his contract. Give up the first, take back a fourth from the Broncos. Keep Edwards, Marshall and Cotch for next year. Trade Edwards or Marshall at the end of next year depending on who is less valuable to the Jets and pay the other.[/QUOTE]
    I'm all for this...

We have the 29th pick fellas, without some kind of holy intervention nobody we draft with that pick will have anywhere near the same impact Brandon Marshall will bring...I don't care what he does off the field, all i care about is what he does on the field...On the field there is no questioning this kids talent, he is a legitimate top 5 wide receiver and a game changer...He will instantly make our offense as big a threat as our defense...

The 29th pick for Marshall and a 4th makes too much sense not to do it...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;3535668]
    We have the 29th pick fellas, without some kind of holy intervention nobody we draft with that pick will have anywhere near the same impact Brandon Marshall will bring...[/QUOTE]
    Are you talking about impact during week 1, week 17, or over the next 3 years?

Certainly true for week 1. Week 17 - will he be suspended? Will he be benched by Rex? Will he be unhappy because he's not getting enough touches, because there are 3 very talented receivers?

Would he be a Jet in year 3, and if so, will the Jets have to give up some other talented player due to salary cap concerns?

If you tell me I could have Marshall or Demaryius Thomas or whoever, and you ask me who would help the Jets more over the next 3 years - I don't think the answer is at all obvious.

I suspect Denver would sure as hell rather have Thomas.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just say no man.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he is a member of the Pats before the draft.:steamin:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3535726]Just say no man.[/QUOTE]

I thought you were all for Marshall?? :confused::confused::confused:
    Am I mistaken?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to burst your bubbles, but all these trade scenarios are literally impossible. Brandon Marshall isn't under contract with the broncos meaning they have no say in where he ends up. The only thing we'd have to give up is what the compensation for signing him is. (ex. 1st rd pick as of now) Why would we give them players for no reason?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you questioning the value of our 1st round pick:

2006 NFL Draft: NYJ #29 pick - Nick Mangold

Nice Mangold is the SINGLE reason our offensive line is great. Seriously people, you don't just throw away 1st round picks. If this guy was worth the pick then why haven't the Pats just signed him to a deal knowing FULL WELL Welker isn't going to play next season and they are thin at the position? They're so smart remember?

This draft is WAY too deep to give up our 1st or 2nd round pick to be honest. I'd give up the 2nd for Marshall, but let's be serious here folks... if we wanted to trade our 1st round pick for him then he'd be on the roster right now through a RFA contract.

Tanny values that 1st round pick like nobody's business. See all the moves he's made every year in the draft based on that 1st round pick? There's no way he's trading it away. We'll give up the 2nd no problem. As long as Tanny is here we're always going to have that excitement of the 1st round pick.

And to anyone questioning the Jets interest... where there's CONSTANT SMOKE THERE'S GOING TO BE A FIRE. Mark it down, the Jets want this guy bad. People need to realize Marshall's problem has been and will continue to be his contract. He's better than what he's being paid and he's acting out because they won't negotiate with him. I have no doubt about it that the Jets would give him a fair contract and that he'd behave here. There's way too much veteran presence and he'd be shown the door if he didn't ala our Free Softie Carrie Blows.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mmckiernan;3535252]No one will sign Leon and give up a second.
    Seattle has a better 2nd round pick and would give it up for Marshall.

Unless - Tanny out smarts Seattle --- hmmmmm[/QUOTE]

Marshall is a selfish player. You think he wants to share time with two other front line guys?
    And now we want to take Cotchery off the field for 60% of the plays? All this for a team that is a run oriented team. The best rushing team in the NFL. Change it all just for fantasy football.
    Both Indy and NE have WRs that are effective and either low drafts or UDFAs. The difference is attitude. Marshall has good numbers on a pass crazy team. Why does Denver want him out of there? He's disruptive.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a follow up thought because I wanted to confirm what I thought to be true.
    Marshall averages 11 YPC. Big deal.
    Edwards averages well over 15 YPC and Cotchery well over 14 YPC. Even Keller has a better YPC than Marshall. Is the idea to trade down in quality? Sorry. Attitude, disruption (anyone catch his act in training camp last year?), not a YPC producer.
    Do the Jets have any punks in the locker room? NO. Clowney is a little goofy but not a punk. Why add a jerk like Marshall to the mix. The Jets have a pretty decent and cohesive group. Why add a combustible to the mix.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thshadow;3535694]Are you talking about impact during week 1, week 17, or over the next 3 years?

Certainly true for week 1. Week 17 - will he be suspended? Will he be benched by Rex? Will he be unhappy because he's not getting enough touches, because there are 3 very talented receivers?

Would he be a Jet in year 3, and if so, will the Jets have to give up some other talented player due to salary cap concerns?

If you tell me I could have Marshall or Demaryius Thomas or whoever, and you ask me who would help the Jets more over the next 3 years - I don't think the answer is at all obvious.

I suspect Denver would sure as hell rather have Thomas.[/QUOTE]

+1

I agree with you. Might I add that you just don't throw around first round picks just to get one year's production (if he can even stay out of trouble for the one year as you suggested). If you do, your team better win it all or your head will be on the chopping block. Also, this morning on the Mike and Mike Show on ESPN, Mike Shanahan was talking about the impact off the field nonsense has on your team - specifically The Steelers with Big Ben. He said that every minute that The Steelers spend discussing Ben's situation is a minute they lose in preparing their team for the season or upcoming week's game. He's right. These coaches spend a tremendous amount of time preparing. If they have to take a half hour out for a press conference or 10 minutes to address some off the field matter it is hard to get that time back. Some of these coaches already practically live at their facility. You HAVE to care about what a player does both on AND off the field; especially if you are giving up a first round pick for him.
    Last edited by kcb160; 03-24-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gluis011;3535265]I think the Mr T is looking into this. I believe if they did propose a trade to the broncos it will have to include a WR in return as well much like the Braylon trade to the Browns. So i really doubt the Jets would keep Braylon JCo and Marshall on the same team.[/QUOTE]

While Marshall is an elite talent, I don't see it as a good fit if they plan on keeping Edwards as well.

Cotch has great hands, but I don't see him as the elusive slot receiver. He is a consumate professional, and is clutch, so I'd hate for the JETS to lose him. If MT doesn't think he can resign Edwards longterm after the season (or are concerned with his bigtime drops) that could be a reason.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Marshall's best football is still ahead of him.
    If you can get him for a 2nd and 4th, then it's worth taking the risk.

He's caught over 100 passes in each of his last 3 seasons with pretty crappy QB play... no one does that.

It's scary to think the kind of year Marshall could have on this Jets team if Sanchez keeps progressing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thshadow;3535694]Are you talking about impact during week 1, week 17, or over the next 3 years?

I suspect Denver would sure as hell rather have Thomas.[/QUOTE]
    The Giants were faced with a similar series what if’s when they signed Plaxico Burress...They took a chance on that knucklehead malcontent and he turned out to be a defining factor in them winning a Super Bowl...

Jets fans want the Super Bowl but still don't get it, you need guys like Marshall to win it...We all like the good guys and overachievers but you can’t win with a team like that...If Marshall brings us a Super Bowl like Burress did for the Giants he can go shoot himself in the ass for all I care...All I care about is WINNING and that’s all anyone of us should care about...Marshall will bring us closer to the promise land then anybody we draft with that pick and I don’t see how anybody could argue against this with anything but what if's...

In the draft forum guys are talking about trading down for Christ sake yet don’t want to trade the pick for Marshall...that’s complete and utter lunacy imo especially when you look at how stacked this years draft is...we can trade 29 for Marshall and still address other needs…

Jet fans need to stop being scared of the what if's and take a chance for once...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;3536309]The Giants were faced with a similar series what ifís when they signed Plaxico Burress...They took a chance on that knucklehead malcontent and he turned out to be a defining factor in them winning a Super Bowl...

Jets fans want the Super Bowl but still don't get it, you need guys like Marshall to win it...We all like the good guys and overachievers but you canít win with a team like that...If Marshall brings us a Super Bowl like Burress did for the Giants he can go shoot himself in the ass for all I care...All I care about is WINNING and thatís all anyone of us should care about...Marshall will bring us closer to the promise land then anybody we draft with that pick and I donít see how anybody could argue against this with anything but what if's...

In the draft forum guys are talking about trading down for Christ sake yet donít want to trade the pick for Marshall...thatís complete and utter lunacy imo especially when you look at how stacked this years draft is...we can trade 29 for Marshall and still address other needsÖ

Jet fans need to stop being scared of the what if's and take a chance for once...[/QUOTE]

Burress was not one misstep away from an 8-game suspension when the Giants signed him in 2005. I am not even sure he was suspended at all while at Pittsburgh. Totally different set of circumstances.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3535264]They need a WR. Brandon for Braylon and a 4th[/QUOTE]

No way. Braylon was tendered at a 1st and 3rd. Why give up a 1st, 3rd and 4th when we could get him for a 2nd.

[QUOTE=VAJET58;3535269]We could give up our 1st, next years 4th for Marshall and Denver's 2nd.

That would move us back from #29 to #46 I believe. I couldn't find a list of the second round, but Denver's original 1st round would have been #14.[/QUOTE]

I like the idea.

[QUOTE=jetsonly;3535751]I think he is a member of the Pats before the draft.:steamin:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Monsterxman;3536125]I think Marshall's best football is still ahead of him.
    If you can get him for a 2nd and 4th, then it's worth taking the risk.

He's caught over 100 passes in each of his last 3 seasons with pretty crappy QB play... no one does that.

It's scary to think the kind of year Marshall could have on this Jets team if Sanchez keeps progressing.[/QUOTE]

Imagine how the opposition would have to gameplan for brandon, braylon, Jco and our running game.

[QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;3536309]The Giants were faced with a similar series what ifís when they signed Plaxico Burress...They took a chance on that knucklehead malcontent and he turned out to be a defining factor in them winning a Super Bowl...

Jets fans want the Super Bowl but still don't get it, you need guys like Marshall to win it...We all like the good guys and overachievers but you canít win with a team like that...If Marshall brings us a Super Bowl like Burress did for the Giants he can go shoot himself in the ass for all I care...All I care about is WINNING and thatís all anyone of us should care about...Marshall will bring us closer to the promise land then anybody we draft with that pick and I donít see how anybody could argue against this with anything but what if's...

In the draft forum guys are talking about trading down for Christ sake yet donít want to trade the pick for Marshall...thatís complete and utter lunacy imo especially when you look at how stacked this years draft is...we can trade 29 for Marshall and still address other needsÖ

Jet fans need to stop being scared of the what if's and take a chance for once...[/QUOTE]

We could just roll the dice and take that chance. Pray we don't crap out.