Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: (prospects listed alphabetically by last name) Who do the Jets take at 29?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • WR Arrelious Benn, Illinois

4 8.33%
  • DT Terrence Cody, Alabama

16 33.33%
  • DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida

6 12.50%
  • TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma

0 0%
  • DE Everson Griffen, USC

1 2.08%
  • RB Ryan Mathews, Fresno State

4 8.33%
  • DE Ricky Sapp, Clemson

3 6.25%
  • WR Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech

8 16.67%
  • WR Damian Williams, USC

4 8.33%
  • Other (post in thread)

2 4.17%

Thread: You Make the Call at 29, take 3

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

You Make the Call at 29, take 3

Assume for the sake of argument that the first round played out in this way:

1. STL - DT N Suh
    2. DET - OT R Okung
    3. TB - DT G McCoy
    4. WAS - QB S Bradford
    5. KC - OT B Bulaga
    6. SEA - DE D Morgan
    7. CLE - S E Berry
    8. OAK - CB J Haden
    9. BUF - QB J Clausen
    10. JAC - RB C Spiller
    11. DEN - LB R McClain
    12. MIA - WR D Bryant
    13. SF - S T Mays
    14. SEA - OT T Williams
    15. NYG - DT B Price
    16. TEN - DE JPP
    17. SF - DE B Graham
    18. PIT - OG M Iupati
    19. ATL - LB S Weatherspoon
    20. HOU - CB K Wilson
    21. CIN - S E Thomas
    22. NE - DT J Odrick
    23. GB - DE J Hughes
    24. PHI - CB P McCourty
    25. BAL - CB K Jackson
    26. AZ - LB S Kindle
    27. DAL - WR G Tate
    28. SD - DT D Williams
    29. NYJ
    30. MIN
    31. IND
    32. NO

Imagine you are Mikey T, it's 9 minutes into the 10 minute time limit, who do you pick?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    let me just add this would an offensive lineman heavy situation... there was a run on defensive ends, there was a run on defensive backs but there was not a run on offensive linemen. A Davis - Rutgers, M Pouncey - Florida, B Campbell - Maryland, C Brown - USC are all still on the board but were not included in the poll because not really a position of need.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    DT Terrence Cody, Alabama with Jenkins would be a mountainous combo!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I am leaning towards Cody. Jenkins has a few years left and guys like Cody are not easy to find. His stock seems to be on the rise. A one trick pony but essential for 3-4 teams.

WR Arrelious Benn, Illinois
    - like him but think he slips into the second round.

DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida
    - don't trust him. high risk, high reward. too much risk.

TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
    - i hope someone takes gresham before us allowing another option to fall our way. cannot see us taking a tight end in the first round.

DE Everson Griffen, USC
    - also hoping griffen is off the board as he could be the best value here. just don't get a good feeling about him though.

RB Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
    - love mathews but a running back in the first round seems highly unlikely. cannot see him getting by houston and the chargers.

DE Ricky Sapp, Clemson
    - a second round prospect at the end of the day. i can see the patriots taking him somewhere in the second round.

WR Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech
    - the fact that thomas probably won't work out before the draft makes it very difficult to spend a first round pick on him. tremendous upside though. maybe too much to pass on.

WR Damian Williams, USC
    - williams seems to not be talked about as a first round prospect these days. i see him going towards the middle of the second round. jets might jump up from 61 to grab him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dunlap is the BAP in my opinion and also fills a need. Tannenbaum seems willing to take a chance on questionable character issues with recent aquisitions so I think they would pull the trigger on this one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big 'Los

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In this situation, a team like Washington would be on the phone begging to trade up for an OL. We'd probably get a 3rd and a 7th from them.

If I have to make the pick, it's Demaryius.

Cue "glad it's not you" comments.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    In this situation, a team like Washington would be on the phone begging to trade up for an OL. We'd probably get a 3rd and a 7th from them.
    looking at the board, they would have 4 or 5 good OL options (some are calling Saffold a late first round talent) and only 8 teams total until their next pick... and only IND, STL and TB are OL needy in those 8...

assume always the Jets trade out of their spot... this poll is imagine they have to pick at 29

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    RB,DE, WR OR OL....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    looking at the board, they would have 4 or 5 good OL options (some are calling Saffold a late first round talent) and only 8 teams total until their next pick... and only IND, STL and TB are OL needy in those 8...

assume always the Jets trade out of their spot... this poll is imagine they have to pick at 29
    That's 3 teams who need OL before them, and others could always jump in. If that's how the board fell, it wouldn't be a surprise at all to see one of those teams move up, or a team like Seattle move up because they want the best guy of the remaining group, not the 4th on the list.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Anthony Davis- Rutgers- OT- BPA left on the board.

2. Corey Wootton- North Western- DE- talented Defensive end with great character. great build 6-7 275 . the kid is from rutherford for pete's sake bring him home.

3. Dexter Mccluster- rb/wr/kr/pr/wildcat/qb- he brings alot too the table.

i hope the board falls this way alot of 2nd round teams will trade to the end of the 1st round to pick a QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like really like Matthews for this offense, a lot...

so..

..Dunlap

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Big 'Los
    he runs a 4.6 on wet turf at 270... 18 career sacks... pretty hard to pass that up at 29

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took Cody and then ran away from my computer. I came back to type this.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I took Cody and then ran away from my computer. I came back to type this.
    B-but he's fat. Unlike every other friggin Nose Tackle.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he runs a 4.6 on wet turf at 270... 18 career sacks... pretty hard to pass that up at 29
    Hard to pass up sure but there is a reason why he may slip out of the first round. And how well does he project to 3-4 DE anyway? Doesn't seem stout enough. Boom or bust doesn't sit well with me with Gholston being on the roster. Ideally Dunlap is not on the board when we pick. Either that or he slips into the second round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    Hard to pass up sure but there is a reason why he may slip out of the first round. And how well does he project to 3-4 DE anyway? Doesn't seem stout enough. Boom or bust doesn't sit well with me with Gholston being on the roster. Ideally Dunlap is not on the board when we pick. Either that or he slips into the second round.
    my pick personally would probably be a WR

and I have voted that way above

but thinking about what these Jets front office and coaches want...

an eventual replacement for Ellis... who can pass rush... if Dunlap gains about 10 pounds he's Shaun Ellis coming into the league.

as for the DUI, again he wouldn't be on my board but these Jets are not adverse to risk... players with legal issues... Cromartie... Edwards... etc. they are not Mangini's Jets anymore where Dunlap wouldn't even be mentioned in the draft room. These Jets kinda like em mean and hungry... and it's a strong enough program they can rehab the trouble makers.

i dont think Dunlap can be considered "another Gholston" because the difference in salary between 6 and 29 is astronomical. he's a high risk/boom-bust Defensive lineman at the end of round 1... which seems to be the collision course this year...

like I said I might prefer a WR but the value really isn't there. Say what you will about Carlos Dunlap, he's a steal at 29.
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-23-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    B-but he's fat. Unlike every other friggin Nose Tackle.
    The only top NT prospect I can remember not getting knocked for being fat is BJ Raji last year. Everyone else from Casey Hampton to Ngata got the "he's fat and therefore will stay fat despite getting on an NFL training program" label.

Things I've determined about Cody besides "he's fat"...he's really athletic for his size on the football field and showed it against top competition while anchoring the top college D over his 2 seasons...and he wants to play. It's not like it's easy to earn the trust of Saban enough to put him at FB, NT, DT, and to drop him into coverage once in a while.

He's 348 and shrinking. 335 and even 330 sounds like it could be realistic for when the season starts. If Terrence Cody weighed 330 pounds right now he'd be a top 10 pick. He'd be gone by 9 to Buffalo. He's still someone I think Buffalo would legitimately consider to build their 3-4 D around.

Throw in that Cody would be coming to a team with Kris Jenkins, another fat slob ('05-'07) who would never be anything but a fat slob until he wasn't a fat slob, and Rex Ryan, a fat coach trying to lose weight who loves fat DTs. The Ravens have featured Sam Adams, Siragusa, and Ngata while Rex has been there...and Ray Lewis begged the Ravens to get him a monster DT back in '05/'06.

Youtube videos sometimes help...here's just plays from Cody...highlights and lowlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCHChIT57M

I don't get what's so off putting about him on the field. He played extremely well against Florida too...check out he dominated the Texas OL too.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-24-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    The only top NT prospect I can remember not getting knocked for being fat is BJ Raji last year. Everyone else from Casey Hampton to Ngata got the "he's fat and therefore will stay fat despite getting on an NFL training program" label.

Things I've determined about Cody besides "he's fat"...he's really athletic for his size on the football field and showed it against top competition while anchoring the top college D over his 2 seasons...and he wants to play. It's not like it's easy to earn the trust of Saban enough to put him at FB, NT, DT, and to drop him into coverage once in a while.

He's 348 and shrinking. 335 and even 330 sounds like it could be realistic for when the season starts. If Terrence Cody weighed 330 pounds right now he'd be a top 10 pick. He'd be gone by 9 to Buffalo. He's still someone I think Buffalo would legitimately consider to build their 3-4 D around.

Throw in that Cody would be coming to a team with Kris Jenkins, another fat slob ('05-'07) who would never be anything but a fat slob until he wasn't a fat slob, and Rex Ryan, a fat coach trying to lose weight who loves fat DTs. The Ravens have featured Sam Adams, Siragusa, and Ngata while Rex has been there...and Ray Lewis begged the Ravens to get him a monster DT back in '05/'06.

Youtube videos sometimes help...here's just plays from Cody...highlights and lowlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCHChIT57M

I don't get what's so off putting about him on the field. He played extremely well against Florida too...check out he dominated the Texas OL too.
    Cody is legit and his naysayers are idiots but I dunno if he falls to us at 29 and I doubt Tanny wants to trade up when we have Jenks coming back and Pouha looks like he finally woke up last season. Stay tuned.