Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woody Jonhson: "..a few tricks up our sleeve yet."

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3535517]My problem is is Woody's determination is it the incentive of selling PSL's. In 5 years will he be spending or will he sit on the PSL money. Three years ago many said Woody was cheap. When PSL's were coming into focus Woody starts spending bringing in Brett Favre and the rest is history.[/QUOTE]

look, there's always two-sides. that's the way some see it. others see it as something else entirely.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3535520]look, there's always two-sides. that's the way some see it. others see it as something else entirely.[/QUOTE]

I hope its the new Woody believe me, I live and die with these guys

We've always spent up to the cap before, I'm sure we will in the future. The reason people said he was "cheap" before was because we were in cap hell and unable to spend the big bucks on outside Free Agents.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3535403]while he understandly gets flack for the joint-stadium, Woody has really turned the corner as an owner since giving tanny the green light to do his thing[/QUOTE]

Agreed! He just needs to follow through with the product on the field....

Bewildered Beast
    I love Woody; he is definitely trying. I have seen owners torment their fan base as if the fans were a given. I got a chance to talk to Woody after he hired Herm; he had just bought the team a few months before hand. I told him that Jets fans all over were happy that dolan didn't get the team; he responded by saying that he would continue the work that Parcells started; and that he loves Jets fans. I think he's well on his way to fulfilling that statement.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3535529]I hope its the new Woody believe me, I live and die with these guys[/QUOTE]

The only really scary thought is this:

Everything aggressive that Woody Johnson has done came about because of the new stadium. Dumping Edwards, installing youngster Mangini, promoting youngster Tannenbaum, pursuing McFadden, cutting Pennington, wooing Favre, dumping Mangini, hiring Ryan, signing Scott, drafting Sanchez, drafting Greene, signing Braylon, signing Tomlinson.......

......all of it, because of the new stadium. All of it, to create a 'buzz', to get back pages, to sell PSL's.

Throughout Jets history, our greatest successes came about because of a scared owner throwing money to solve a problem. Werblin outbid the NFL and had to have Namath and Eubank. Hess fought the Patriots and got Parcells and Martin. Woody wheeled and dealed beyond measure.

The question is, will Woody learn from these actions and keep being aggressive? Or, with the new stadium open and earning money, will he dial it back down and drag us to mediocrity?

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;3535749]The only really scary thought is this:

Everything aggressive that Woody Johnson has done came about because of the new stadium. Dumping Edwards, installing youngster Mangini, promoting youngster Tannenbaum, pursuing McFadden, cutting Pennington, wooing Favre, dumping Mangini, hiring Ryan, signing Scott, drafting Sanchez, drafting Greene, signing Braylon, signing Tomlinson.......

......all of it, because of the new stadium. All of it, to create a 'buzz', to get back pages, to sell PSL's.

Throughout Jets history, our greatest successes came about because of a scared owner throwing money to solve a problem. Werblin outbid the NFL and had to have Namath and Eubank. Hess fought the Patriots and got Parcells and Martin. Woody wheeled and dealed beyond measure.

The question is, will Woody learn from these actions and keep being aggressive? Or, with the new stadium open and earning money, will he dial it back down and drag us to mediocrity?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

You have some good posts in this here thread...
    Not nearly as gloom and doom as normal!
    It appears these guys are doing everything they can to field a championship team.
    Hopefully they will continue to do so EVERY year!
    I think they will. I don't see this crew being "satisfied" with 1 big victory.
    They're just beginning here!

I prefer Rex over Cowher. Both have Super Bowl rings, but Rex will have more as a Head Coach with the NY Jets. I'm gonna cry when the Jets win it all. No, literally. I will celebrate with a bottle of Hennessy "Paradis" :D

[QUOTE=BXJETSBULLY;3535761]I prefer Rex over Cowher. Both have Super Bowl rings, but Rex will have more as a Head Coach with the NY Jets. I'm gonna cry when the Jets win it all. No, literally. I will celebrate with a bottle of Hennessy "Paradis" :D[/QUOTE]

Got that right!

I'm gonna have to break out some Henny (among other things) when that happens!
    We're really fortunate to have such a great coach!

All League
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3535490][IMG]http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/07/0707_americas_oldest_restaurants/image/17_st_elmo.jpg[/IMG]

St. Elmo Steakhouse. Lower level. Night before the AFC Championship Game. Darrelle Revis is sitting with the majority of the secondary. Place packed with Jets fans.

Woody finds out who's downstairs, makes his way down, thanks each and every Jets fan down there, gives a thumb's up to Revis, walks back upstairs to thunderous applause.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

holy crap did that really happen??? wow.. this season will be the ****e!!!! :D

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I think once Woody gets the winning feeling (hopefully via a Superbowl) I have to believe it becomes additcting. I can bet if he wins one he will want another and another and will spend. This "venture" of his has to be operating on its own. I don't think he is hurting no matter how many J&J products he sells or doesn't sell.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3535490][IMG]http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/07/0707_americas_oldest_restaurants/image/17_st_elmo.jpg[/IMG]

St. Elmo Steakhouse. Lower level. Night before the AFC Championship Game. Darrelle Revis is sitting with the majority of the secondary. Place packed with Jets fans.

Woody finds out who's downstairs, makes his way down, thanks each and every Jets fan down there, gives a thumb's up to Revis, walks back upstairs to thunderous applause.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    That's great.
    Last edited by dmitexxi; 03-24-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Jets Insider VIP

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    And this where I have a problem with comparing him to George. The boss would never EVER tolerate mediocrity.

"Owning the NY Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa"- The Boss
    Last edited by dmitexxi; 03-24-2010 at 08:32 AM.

All Pro

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Great post!!!! I just hope the new Woody is here to stay. What happens when Woody sells all his PSL's, what is his incentive to keep the peddle to the meddle.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3535481][IMG]http://blog.nj.com/jets_impact/2009/05/large_woody-johnson512.jpg[/IMG]

Woody Johnson is a fantastic owner. The NFL equivalent of George Steinbrenner, but without Dan Snyder's ego.

There is no 'flack' for a joint stadium as it guarantee's the future success of the franchise. Getting 100% of the revenue for the 10 days we use it and absorbing only 50% of the losses on the 345 days it's the worlds largest chip 'n dip is a stroke of brilliance.

Regarding Coingate, Woody stood up for the fans and the Jets. No matter how it shook out in the end, Woody didn't roll over like a lapdog; he became the first owner to openly challenge the Commissioner and I can guarantee you Goodell will think twice about fuc*ing with Woody again.

And, looking ahead, Woody will again play an important role in settling the labor dispute the way he did with the CBA back in 2006.

Couldn't have a better owner. Thank you, Mr. Johnson.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

+1

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=dmitexxi;3535803]And this where I have a problem with comparing him to George. The boss would never EVER tolerate mediocrity.

"Owning the NY Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa"- The Boss[/QUOTE]

As a life-long Yankee fan, in no way shape or form should we exalt George M. Steinbrenner as the paragon of championship ownership.

Yes, The Boss didn't accept mediocrity but he ruined any championship chance the team had in the 1980s and the ONLY reason there was a late 1990s dynasty was because The Boss was BANNED from baseball in the early 1990s which allowed Gene Michael to build a championship team.

Personally, I tolerate the image of The Boss today, but I despised him for a long time and cheered when he was banned. When he was allowed back into baseball he was a better owner, but still had his meddling ways.

Woody, right now, is a better owner than the pre-banned Steinbrenner.

I'm a BIG fan of our front Office now. I think all the parts mesh well together now :yes:

All League
    Taken from an Eagles blog so you can ignore the highlighted Philly numbers.

There's really only 1 team that spends way more than the others and Woody has the Jets firmly in that 2nd tier of spending.

[IMG]http://www.jets134.com/images/5ycash.gif[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I think I just missed him there, but me and my brother saw him in Paul Brown Stadium and gave us a big hug...like a few days after his daughter died. Love him.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ozu;3536013]Taken from an Eagles blog so you can ignore the highlighted Philly numbers.

There's really only 1 team that spends way more than the others and Woody has the Jets firmly in that 2nd tier of spending.

[IMG]http://www.jets134.com/images/5ycash.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Pretty cool graph...