Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woody Jonhson: "..a few tricks up our sleeve yet."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody Jonhson: "..a few tricks up our sleeve yet."

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/03/ny_jets_coach_rex_ryan_outline.html[/url][QUOTE]Despite the Jets’ busy off-season, Woody Johnson left the door open for more potential moves in an interview on FOX Business Network. The Star-Ledger obtained a transcript of Johnson’s two-part interview scheduled to air Tuesday night.

“It's harder for us because there's a complicated set of rules,” Johnson said. “But we could add. I think we've got a few things, a few tricks up our sleeve yet.”

Johnson also defended his position against Roger Goodell’s clandestine coin flip to determine whether the Jets or Giants would host the first game at the New Meadowlands Stadium, saying he was “defending principle” and “looking out for the fans – the New York Jet fans.”

Johnson also praised recently acquired LaDainian Tomlinson.
    “He's a great back,” Johnson said. “He's coming from a team that didn't emphasize the run and we've got a young quarterback, so we’re emphasizing the run… Year two, (Mark Sanchez) will be better, guarantee. This is kind of a perfect fit. We love Thomas Jones. Thomas Jones was our back last year -- featured back. He did a great job for us, was an excellent player, but he moved on. LaDainian can catch the ball. He can block really well.”[/QUOTE]

I think the interview is actually being aired right now, I just have no idea what channel Fox Business is on

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    while he understandly gets flack for the joint-stadium, Woody has really turned the corner as an owner since giving tanny the green light to do his thing

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Woody, after hating him in the beginning. I have no problem with him and I'm interested to see the tricks up the sleeve come out.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brando!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT OWNER

GREAT HEAD COACH

GREAT SUPERBOWL CHAMPION TEAM IN FEBRUARY 2011

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Just sign the checks Woody, let Mike T handle everything.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Woody's a good owner and has done a number of key positive things for the franchise recently. I like the fact that he stood up to that swine Goodell over that coin flip fiasco. There's a lot of cause for optimism going forward.
    Last edited by FijiJet; 03-23-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never had a problem with Woody. I think he's a great owner. He's always shown confidence in the management team he assembles and what more can you ask for?

He hired Herm because he believed (as many other people did including myself), that he would be a truly GREAT coach. Unfortunately, it didn't work out, but I still do not blame him for trying to assemble the best coaching staff.

I also know it had to take brass balls to tell Bill Cowher "NO". Remember? After Mangini got canned, the Jets WERE very interested in hiring a big name, proven head coach. They talked with Bill Cowher about the job. And I believe Bill would have taken the job. The thing is Bill wanted HIS own management team and that would have meant the end of Mike Tannenbaum. Woody looked at the situation and said to himself, I would LOVE to hire Bill Cowher to coach the team, however, I WILL NOT do it if it means firing Mike T. Mike has done a great job and since when is that to be rewarded by getting fired?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3535474]I never had a problem with Woody. I think he's a great owner. He's always shown confidence in the management team he assembles and what more can you ask for?

He hired Herm because he believed (as many other people did including myself), that he would be a truly GREAT coach. Unfortunately, it didn't work out, but I still do not blame him for trying to assemble the best coaching staff.

I also know it had to take brass balls to tell Bill Cowher "NO". Remember? After Mangini got canned, the Jets WERE very interested in hiring a big name, proven head coach. They talked with Bill Cowher about the job. And I believe Bill would have taken the job. The thing is Bill wanted HIS own management team and that would have meant the end of Mike Tannenbaum. Woody looked at the situation and said to himself, I would LOVE to hire Bill Cowher to coach the team, however, I WILL NOT do it if it means firing Mike T. Mike has done a great job and since when is that to be rewarded by getting fired?[/QUOTE]

I thought the Jets didn't even talk to Cowher?? At any rate I love Rex hell with the spitting man..:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the best I've felt about ownership, the FO and the HC since I've been a Jets fan. This has been a fan-f*cking-tastic ride the past 2 off-seasons! :yes:
    Last edited by RageATL; 03-23-2010 at 09:04 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3535403]while he understandly gets flack for the joint-stadium, Woody has really turned the corner as an owner since giving tanny the green light to do his thing[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://blog.nj.com/jets_impact/2009/05/large_woody-johnson512.jpg[/IMG]

Woody Johnson is a fantastic owner. The NFL equivalent of George Steinbrenner, but without Dan Snyder's ego.

There is no 'flack' for a joint stadium as it guarantee's the future success of the franchise. Getting 100% of the revenue for the 10 days we use it and absorbing only 50% of the losses on the 345 days it's the worlds largest chip 'n dip is a stroke of brilliance.

Regarding Coingate, Woody stood up for the fans and the Jets. No matter how it shook out in the end, Woody didn't roll over like a lapdog; he became the first owner to openly challenge the Commissioner and I can guarantee you Goodell will think twice about fuc*ing with Woody again.

And, looking ahead, Woody will again play an important role in settling the labor dispute the way he did with the CBA back in 2006.

Couldn't have a better owner. Thank you, Mr. Johnson.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3535474]I never had a problem with Woody. I think he's a great owner. He's always shown confidence in the management team he assembles and what more can you ask for?

I also know it had to take brass balls to tell Bill Cowher "NO". Remember? After Mangini got canned, the Jets WERE very interested in hiring a big name, proven head coach. They talked with Bill Cowher about the job. And I believe Bill would have taken the job. The thing is Bill wanted HIS own management team and that would have meant the end of Mike Tannenbaum. Woody looked at the situation and said to himself, I would LOVE to hire Bill Cowher to coach the team, however, I WILL NOT do it if it means firing Mike T. Mike has done a great job and since when is that to be rewarded by getting fired?[/QUOTE]

+1 great point. All roads led to Rex

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3535481][IMG]http://blog.nj.com/jets_impact/2009/05/large_woody-johnson512.jpg[/IMG]

Woody Johnson is a fantastic owner. The NFL equivalent of George Steinbrenner, but without Dan Snyder's ego.

There is no 'flack' for a joint stadium as it guarantee's the future success of the franchise. Getting 100% of the revenue for the 10 days we use it and absorbing only 50% of the losses on the 345 days it's the worlds largest chip 'n dip is a stroke of brilliance.

Regarding Coingate, Woody stood up for the fans and the Jets. No matter how it shook out in the end, Woody didn't roll over like a lapdog; he became the first owner to openly challenge the Commissioner and I can guarantee you Goodell will think twice about fuc*ing with Woody again.

And, looking ahead, Woody will again play an important role in settling the labor dispute the way he did with the CBA back in 2006.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

well said sir, i guess it comes down to 'who has the better Woody'..now we have both :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3535478]I thought the Jets didn't even talk to Cowher?? At any rate I love Rex hell with the spitting man..:yes:[/QUOTE]

What I read and heard to ESPN was that they had preliminary talks over the phone. They were going to set up interview times when Bill just said, "Listen, if you want me, here's what's going to need to happen".

That is the point where I believe it ended. Remember, one day on Espn it said that the Jets would move "heaven and earth" to get Cowher in NY. Then, the very day afterward espn reported that the flirtation was over....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3535486]well said sir, i guess it comes down to 'who has the better Woody'..now we have both [/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/07/0707_americas_oldest_restaurants/image/17_st_elmo.jpg[/IMG]

St. Elmo Steakhouse. Lower level. Night before the AFC Championship Game. Darrelle Revis is sitting with the majority of the secondary. Place packed with Jets fans.

Woody finds out who's downstairs, makes his way down, thanks each and every Jets fan down there, gives a thumb's up to Revis, walks back upstairs to thunderous applause.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3535490][IMG]http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/07/0707_americas_oldest_restaurants/image/17_st_elmo.jpg[/IMG]

St. Elmo Steakhouse. Lower level. Night before the AFC Championship Game. Darrelle Revis is sitting with the majority of the secondary. Place packed with Jets fans.

Woody finds out who's downstairs, makes his way down, thanks each and every Jets fan down there, gives a thumb's up to Revis, walks back upstairs to thunderous applause.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

That's awesome.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3535481][IMG]http://blog.nj.com/jets_impact/2009/05/large_woody-johnson512.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    GREAT POST 100% agree

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody is the man!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Woody Johnson: Definitely better than Leon Hess.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;3535473]I think Woody's a good owner and has done a number of key positive things for the franchise recently. I like the fact that he stood up to that swine Goodell over that coin flip fiasco. There's a lot of cause for optimism going forward.[/QUOTE]

My problem is is Woody's determination is it the incentive of selling PSL's. In 5 years will he be spending or will he sit on the PSL money. Three years ago many said Woody was cheap. When PSL's were coming into focus Woody starts spending bringing in Brett Favre and the rest is history.