View Poll Results: New Poll: Season Ticket Holders only... Do you want a Thanksgiving Home Game?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

42 47.19%
  • NO

47 52.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Poll: Season Ticket Holders only... Do you want a Thanksgiving Home Game?

[QUOTE=ozu;3536496]There is no homogeneous group called Jets STHs. Night games may suck for you, your family, and quite a few others. For another not-insignificant percentage (half?), they're a very much welcomed change of pace from the usual Sunday afternoon.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I love when someone tries to tell us that night games suck for STHs and their families. Really? How many do they know that it is a big inconvience for? Fact is, the majority of those who are mad about it still show up, and the same will happen for Thanksgiving. Its an awesome thing to have. And for those who continue to say that you can't break away from your family for one little holiday in your entire life then frankly I feel sorry for you.

I voted No but I'll go if we have one. When I was in my 20s, Thanksgiving night meant continued drinking into the wee hours with the rest of the younger crowd in my family. And this would have fit in perfectly since we could do that, then watch an NFL game!

Now in my (ahem...mid....) 30s, Thanksgiving night usually means decompressing at home after a long, and fun, day, usually with 2 sides of the family.

So for me, I'd rather be at home watching football on TV in a more relaxed environment after a long day of visiting instead of leaving early from wherever I am, getting to the stadium, etc.

All of that said, if we have one, I'll plan on going and I'm sure I'll have a good time. And this is one of those instances where I'm happy to have the train. If it's an 8pm game, I'll hop on a train at 7pm and get to my seats a minute before or after kickoff without traffic or parking hassles or having to pack tailgate stuff, etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I answered no, and I also don't like having the opening Monday Night Football game either, and basically for the exact same reason: tailgating. To me, tailgating is part of the overall experience, and that is now been taken away from me for 25% of my team's home games this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=VINNYT;3536344]why are people complaining about an opening night MNF game, a thanksgiving game AND the shot of HBO's Hard Knocks? Our team has NEVER had this type of exposure. Be happy. Be proud! wear your green! stop complaining about it! Enjoy it![/QUOTE]

If you don't have, at least, this attitude, go support the Lions and join their site. Oh, and don't forget to pick up your skirt at the cleaners.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=scott dierking II;3537048]I answered no, and I also don't like having the opening Monday Night Football game either, and basically for the exact same reason: tailgating. To me, tailgating is part of the overall experience, and that is now been taken away from me for 25% of my team's home games this year.[/QUOTE]

This guy says lift your skirt...[IMG]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2189/img0506v.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3537024]Exactly. I love when someone tries to tell us that night games suck for STHs and their families. Really? How many do they know that it is a big inconvience for? Fact is, the majority of those who are mad about it still show up, and the same will happen for Thanksgiving. Its an awesome thing to have. And for those who continue to say that you can't break away from your family for one little holiday in your entire life then frankly I feel sorry for you.[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, you are the kid who was debating buying the PSLs while you're still in college, right? Suffice to say, everyone with kids on this site has been a carefree, not tied down (softball for Savage) 21 year old who can do pretty much what they want. I remember skipping out early on Rosh Hashana when I was younger to see the Grateful Dead at MSG. My folks weren't particularly happy (especially as it was the 3rd night in a row I was seeing them), but sie la vie.

Things get a little more complicated as you get older. Its not always as easy as slipping out the back door and not having anyone miss you. For some, it will work out. For some, its a lot tougher. To say you feel sorry for people who can't "break away from your family for one little holiday" shows that you have no understanding of the world around you. When you have responsibilities other than a part time job at Dunkin Donuts (or wherever you work), come back and comment. Nothing wrong with being a carefree 21 year old...we all miss it. But life changes. Prepare yourself.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3537059]If I'm not mistaken, you are the kid who was debating buying the PSLs while you're still in college, right? Suffice to say, everyone with kids on this site has been a carefree, not tied down (softball for Savage) 21 year old who can do pretty much what they want. I remember skipping out early on Rosh Hashana when I was younger to see the Grateful Dead at MSG. My folks weren't particularly happy (especially as it was the 3rd night in a row I was seeing them), but sie la vie.

Things get a little more complicated as you get older. Its not always as easy as slipping out the back door and not having anyone miss you. For some, it will work out. For some, its a lot tougher. To say you feel sorry for people who can't "break away from your family for one little holiday" shows that you have no understanding of the world around you. When you have responsibilities other than a part time job at Dunkin Donuts (or wherever you work), come back and comment. Nothing wrong with being a carefree 21 year old...we all miss it. But life changes. Prepare yourself.[/QUOTE]

I think it shows exactly his understanding for the world around him....and as a kid, usually you can't skip out on things, but as an adult you can make your own choice. Unless the parent doesn't care what you are doing, then I guess you do whatever you want...
    Last edited by Apache 51; 03-25-2010 at 09:10 AM.

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3537065]I think it shows exactly his understanding for the world around him....and as a kid, usually you can't skip out on things, but as an adult you can make your own choice. Unless the parent doesn't care what you are doing, then I guess you do whatever you want...[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

And my parents and family are definitely going to care, I had cousins giving me grief about not being at my cousins wedding because the Jets were hosting the Bills last October, but it was my parents who told me to go to the game because my cousins could've easily looked at the Jets schedule, knowing how big of a fan I was, and had the wedding when the Jets were either not playing or when they were on the road. Infact, I think it was the week before or week after that we played on Monday Night, so that Sunday would've been perfect.

In this situation, I'm getting the same response from my family, who is very close and values anytime together, especially the holiday gaterings BIG TIME. They are telling me it is a once in a lifetime experience and to go and enjoy myself. My family is reasonable.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3537065]I think it shows exactly his understanding for the world around him....and as a kid, usually you can't skip out on things, but as an adult you can make your own choice. Unless the parent doesn't care what you are doing, then I guess you do whatever you want...[/QUOTE]

Perhaps we are viewing things from a different lens, but to me, its much easier for a 21 year old to show up for Thanksgiving for a couple of hours and then bail (with no one really missing him) than it is for a dad with 3 young kids to skip out. A lot of other considerations that come in to play when you have familial responsibilities.

But, to each his own. For some, a Thanksgiving game works out rather well. For others, it doesn't.

[QUOTE=crasherino;3537105]Perhaps we are viewing things from a different lens, but to me, its much easier for a 21 year old to show up for Thanksgiving for a couple of hours and then bail (with no one really missing him) than it is for a dad with 3 young kids to skip out. A lot of other considerations that come in to play when you have familial responsibilities.

But, to each his own. For some, a Thanksgiving game works out rather well. For others, it doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Frankly I don't understand how it would be easier for me to bail then to say you (assuming you're the dad with 3 kids). The kids are not going to care that you're gone, they're going to be hanging out with each other, and their cousins/other family members who are of age. Most family parties the "adults" are in one section and the "children" are in another, until it is time to sit down and eat, unless you're one of those 1800's tradionalists. ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3537103]Thank you.

And my parents and family are definitely going to care, I had cousins giving me grief about not being at my cousins wedding because the Jets were hosting the Bills last October, but it was my parents who told me to go to the game because my cousins could've easily looked at the Jets schedule, knowing how big of a fan I was, and had the wedding when the Jets were either not playing or when they were on the road. Infact, I think it was the week before or week after that we played on Monday Night, so that Sunday would've been perfect.

In this situation, I'm getting the same response from my family, who is very close and values anytime together, especially the holiday gaterings BIG TIME. They are telling me it is a once in a lifetime experience and to go and enjoy myself. [B]My family is reasonable[/B].[/QUOTE]

Good for you (No sarcasm here)....not everyone's family is as flexible. For me, I'm going to catch a good amount of sh!t just leaving my in laws place to find a bar that has the game.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3537106]Frankly I don't understand how it would be easier for me to bail then to say you (assuming you're the dad with 3 kids). The kids are not going to care that you're gone, they're going to be hanging out with each other, and their cousins/other family members who are of age. Most family parties the "adults" are in one section and the "children" are in another, until it is time to sit down and eat, unless you're one of those 1800's tradionalists. ;)[/QUOTE]

What if the dad with three kids is hosting Thanksgiving? Can he just leave with a house full of people? My kids actually miss me when I am gone and vice versa. Your family actually expects relatives to schedule a wedding around a football game? You live in a dream world.

[QUOTE=petejet;3537125]What if the dad with three kids is hosting Thanksgiving? Can he just leave with a house full of people? My kids actually miss me when I am gone and vice versa. Your family actually expects relatives to schedule a wedding around a football game? You live in a dream world.[/QUOTE]

Then you don't host Thanksgiving this year? Really, its not that hard, the host family can change locations, it doesn't have to be at the same spot every single year, does it? Is there some written law?

There are 8 days in the year they can't schedule a wedding if they want me and another one of my family members to attend, and they failed. Thats their own fault. Maybe it isn't me who lives in a dream world. If they cared to have us there, they would've worked around others. Whose to say that its all about them? They have to make sacrifices for other family members, you can't expect everyone to just drop everything.

And trust me, at a family party if they have cousins their own age around, they wouldn't care if you left the party early to go to the game, unless they have some severe attachment issues. You'll miss them more than they'll miss you, but thats your own issue.

You sound like a good father, but I have a feeling you may see them every single day of their lives, I don't think they'd mind daddy stepping out for 4 or 5 hours.
    Last edited by 124; 03-25-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3537130]Then you don't host Thanksgiving this year? Really, its not that hard, the host family can change locations, it doesn't have to be at the same spot every single year, does it? Is there some written law?
    [B]
    There are 8 days in the year they can't schedule a wedding if they want me and another one of my family members to attend, and they failed. Thats their own fault. Maybe it isn't me who lives in a dream world. If they cared to have us there, they would've worked around others. Whose to say that its all about them? They have to make sacrifices for other family members, you can't expect everyone to just drop everything.[/B]

And trust me, at a family party if they have cousins their own age around, they wouldn't care if you left the party early to go to the game, unless they have some severe attachment issues. You'll miss them more than they'll miss you, but thats your own issue.

You sound like a good father, but I have a feeling you may see them every single day of their lives, I don't think they'd mind daddy stepping out for 4 or 5 hours.[/QUOTE]

A wedding is not all about the bride and groom? Really? Since when? Are they supposed to take into account everyone else's schedule? Did you get your wedding invite a week before the event or a couple of months before so that you could arrange your schedule accordingly. You are supposed to be the one making sacrifices not them. Its their day. Show some respect. I have missed a lot of family events for Jets games but never a wedding. You are the one that failed. You have a lot of growing up to do.

[QUOTE=petejet;3537154]A wedding is not all about the bride and groom? Really? Since when? Are they supposed to take into account everyone else's schedule? Did you get your wedding invite a week before the event or a couple of months before so that you could arrange your schedule accordingly. You are supposed to be the one making sacrifices not them. Its their day. Show some respect. I have missed a lot of family events for Jets games but never a wedding. You are the one that failed. You have a lot of growing up to do.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: Please. They are supposed to make sure everything works out with the family members. What if someone was graduating from a college or high school or something that day? Is it okay to schedule it then? What if someone couldn't get there because work said they'd lose their job if they weren't at work that day? Say someone had to travel for business and could not get off, and knew it in advance, wouldn't you as the bride/groom schedule around that? They could've scheduled around the home schedule very easily knowing that two family members had a home game to attend that day.

The wedding is all about the bride and groom on that day, no other day. It isn't a 6 month long ass kissing parade. They should make the reseverations work for all family members.
    Last edited by 124; 03-25-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3537059]Things get a little more complicated as you get older. Its not always as easy as slipping out the back door and not having anyone miss you. For some, it will work out. For some, its a lot tougher. To say you feel sorry for people who can't "break away from your family for one little holiday" shows that you have no understanding of the world around you. When you have responsibilities other than a part time job at Dunkin Donuts (or wherever you work), come back and comment. Nothing wrong with being a carefree 21 year old...we all miss it. But life changes. Prepare yourself.[/QUOTE]

Those of us with rings on our fingers understand what you are saying. :yes:

Marriage and Parenthood (and all they entail) cannot be explained.
    They must be experienced.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3537164]Those of us with rings on our fingers understand what you are saying. :yes:

[B]Marriage and Parenthood (and all they entail) cannot be explained.
    They must be experienced.[/B][/QUOTE]

If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand :D

(applies to many of lifes passions)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3537156]:rolleyes: Please. They are supposed to make sure everything works out with the family members. What if someone was graduating from a college or high school or something that day? Is it okay to schedule it then? What if someone couldn't get there because work said they'd lose their job if they weren't at work that day? Say someone had to travel for business and could not get off, and knew it in advance, wouldn't you as the bride/groom schedule around that? They could've scheduled around the home schedule very easily knowing that two family members had a home game to attend that day.

The wedding is all about the bride and groom on that day, no other day. It isn't a 6 month long ass kissing parade. They should make the reseverations work for all family members.[/QUOTE]

A graduation is not something that is announced a day in advance. If the members of your family communicate with each other it will be pretty easy to figure out that there is a potential conflict and things can be scheduled accordingly. Being married I can tell you from experience that your idea of planning a wedding is not the way it works. Sure, you make sure there are no other family events the day you want but that's it. It is not the responsibility of the bride/groom to check out all of the guests schedules. However it is the responsibility of the invitee to do everything in their power to attend. Can't get off from work? You are comparing real life events, events that actually have a bearing on someone's life to attending a football game?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3537105]Perhaps we are viewing things from a different lens, but to me, its much easier for a 21 year old to show up for Thanksgiving for a couple of hours and then bail (with no one really missing him) than it is for a dad with 3 young kids to skip out. A lot of other considerations that come in to play when you have familial responsibilities.

But, to each his own. For some, a Thanksgiving game works out rather well. For others, it doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point, the adult plans ahead, and figures the best way to go about it. A 21 year old is an adult as well but still may have to work it out with his parents or parent. Either way for any party not to have it figured out prior is wrong. You are going and make everyone aware and adjust accordingly or not...... 8 months is plenty of time for everyone to adjust, or not.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3537207]Exactly my point, the adult plans ahead, and figures the best way to go about it. A 21 year old is an adult as well but still may have to work it out with his parents or parent. Either way for any party not to have it figured out prior is wrong. You are going and make everyone aware and adjust accordingly or not...... 8 months is plenty of time for everyone to adjust, or not.[/QUOTE]

So you're going to the game then.....good for you.