Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goodell, losing more respect for this guy each day...

[QUOTE=FijiJet;3536839]+1 billion

I detest this POS who thinks he's bigger than the game. He was prolly the ugly nerd in school who got whacked by everybody, now its his turn to lord it over everyone - the bastid.

I truly hope he gets booed off stage the slimy toad[/QUOTE]

Just for the record, Goodell was a three sport athlete and captain of all three sports in HS. Not too shabby.
    If the owners don't like him, they can dump him at any time. Obviously they like him. He was initially appointed by UNANIMOUS vote of all the owners.
    If coaches and GMs don't like what their owners decide or do, they should quit as coach or GM. Owners decide changes, not coaches. If the owner doesn't discuss it with the coach - tough for the coach. Coaches and GMs are in it for the short haul - owners for the long. It's their money.
    I think the overtime rule change is a good step in the right direction. Should apply to regular season also.
    I like Goodell's overall approach to people. Keep the players who are bums on edge. Fine and suspend. He needs to do even more.
    He is the same as every CEO. He has a business to run and he uses management skills to achieve goals.

I can see Payton being pissed about it... it's essentially a slap in the face to their Championship season. A rule change because they beat the Vikings? That would piss me off. It's almost like discrediting what they did... which was make an amazing run to win a Super Bowl.

[QUOTE=IHATEDOLPHINS;3536586]I feel about Goddell the way that the right wing feels about Obama.I feel he is killing the game we all love

I'm telling you in a few years he's gonna ban the 3 point stance[/QUOTE]

What did Obama do to football?

As for the difference between Politics and Football? Well, politics was broken long before Obama came along. Football was fine.

I'm fine with the Obama change.
    Last edited by cornjulio21; 03-25-2010 at 10:56 AM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3537131]You guys are totally missing the point. As I said in an earlier post it is not about who he works for, who does the voting etc. It's about the sneaky bs moves he makes. Payton and a number of the other coaches were lead to believe they would at least have some input. And owners usually trust their coaches to some extent.
    [/QUOTE]

Their input was to voice their opinions on the rules, but the decision was always in the owners hands... Payton's not the first guy to tell his bosses his opinion and not have them listen to it...

[QUOTE=southside;3537236]I can see Payton being pissed about it... it's essentially a slap in the face to their Championship season.[B] A rule change because they beat the Vikings?[/B] That would piss me off. It's almost like discrediting what they did... which was make an amazing run to win a Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

FYI...Vikings voted AGAINST the new rule.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3537233]If the owners don't like him, they can dump him at any time. Obviously they like him.
    He was initially appointed by UNANIMOUS vote of all the owners.[/QUOTE]

That is not even close to true.
    Goodell ran for Commissioner against 4 others...all of who got votes.

It took until the 5th ballot for the owners to finally give enough votes to Goodell and to issue their puff of white smoke.

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3537274]That is not even close to true.

It took until the 5th ballot for the owners to finally give enough votes to Goodell and to issue their puff of white smoke.[/QUOTE]

But they did just "rehire" him

[B]GOODELL SIGNS 5-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION[/B]

[B]League releases executive salary info in new tax filing[/B]
    BY DANIEL KAPLAN
    STAFF WRITER

The NFL has added 3 1/2 years to Commissioner Roger Goodell’s contract, SportsBusiness Journal has learned, extending the deal through March 1, 2015. His initial five-year deal was scheduled to expire Sept. 1, 2011.

Goodell is taking no increases in his base pay, a move designed to send a message that the league is willing to tighten its belt in light of its battle with the NFLPA over how much players are paid, and after a recent round of cutbacks at league headquarters. The extension was approved unanimously by NFL owners at a meeting in Dallas in mid-December, but the league only publicly disclosed it today. In the fiscal year ended March 31, 2009, Goodell earned $2.9 million in base pay, and $9.76 million overall including bonuses, and deferred and other compensation, according to the NFL’s tax return, which will be filed next week, and a copy of which the league gave early to SportsBusiness Journal. Once filed with the IRS, the documents are public.

[URL]http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/latest/goodell-signs-5-year-contract-extension[/URL]

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3537274]That is not even close to true.

It took until the 5th ballot for the owners to finally give enough votes to Goodell and to issue their puff of white smoke.[/QUOTE]

He THEN got unanimous approval. They all agreed HE was the guy. All 32 owners in agreement. When every single person agrees it is unanimous.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3537293]He THEN got unanimous approval. They all agreed HE was the guy. All 32 owners in agreement. When every single person agrees it is unanimous.[/QUOTE]

But not initially.

You're welcome.

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3537308]But not initially.

You're welcome.[/QUOTE]

Not even George Washington got unamimous approval.
    Who cares initially, the VOTE THAT COUNTED.

I hope the guy gets extended again. Good commish. Better than any other sport right now. Selig? Stern ruined basketball. It's a disgrace. Gary Bettman in the NHL? Nascar is now more popular than the NBA or NHL because of those commissioners.

[QUOTE=FF2;3537269]FYI...Vikings voted AGAINST the new rule.[/QUOTE]

Because they didn't want to seem like they were sour puss.... it's all smoke and mirrors dude.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3537325]Not even George Washington got unamimous approval.
    [/QUOTE]

... he did from martha when he came up for air! ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3537325]Not even George Washington got unamimous approval.
    Who cares initially, the VOTE THAT COUNTED.

[/QUOTE]

So when you said "initially" you actually meant "not initially".

Gotcha. :thumbup:

PS: George Washington was elected unanimously...Twice. ;)

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3537349]So when you said "initially" you actually meant "not initially".

PS: George Washington was elected unanimously...Twice. ;)[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they want him to continue as president after his terms but he refused because he didn't want America to be like Britain and give one person too much power for too long? Pretty stand up guy if you ask me.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;3537352]Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they want him to continue as president after his terms but he refused because he didn't want America to be like Britain and give one person too much power for too long? Pretty stand up guy if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

That's very true.

In fact, even though he refused to run for a third term in 1796, he still got two electoral votes.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3537194]Fans still have a say. Don't like it, don't go, don't watch. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a richard but it's the truth. It's also their league. They own it. Obviously, they rely on fan support to help pay the bills thus it's your choice. Watch it, go or don't watch it, don't go.

You can also write a letter to Goodell or even Woody. What good it will do who knows but if you feel that strongly do it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, don't like it don't go. Wait though, you are not supporting your team then. The owners and Goodell are very selective as to when fans are important. As I've said repeatedly in this thread, I have no problem with them running the business in any fashion they like, just don't bull**** the customer by telling them how important they are, how they listen to the fans, how they are very above board in their decision making.

[QUOTE=JetStream;3537260]Their input was to voice their opinions on the rules, but the decision was always in the owners hands... Payton's not the first guy to tell his bosses his opinion and not have them listen to it...[/QUOTE]

Once again not the point. Agenda of meetings, we deal with this issue on one day. Coaches are all away on an outing. 'Hey we have changed our minds and are voting on this issue right now instead.'

It's not about the who is making the decisions, it's about the false sense that people whether they be coaches or fans have any say at all. It's about the Commish making arbitrary decisions such as the coin flip, the change in agenda, the destruction of Pats videos all on his own behind closed doors.

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3537349]So when you said "initially" you actually meant "not initially".

PS: George Washington was elected unanimously...Twice. ;)[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware that every single American voted for George.

Initially means the first time he ran. He only (Goodell) ran once. It's all about spinning. I could be the commish with that ability.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3537375]I wasn't aware that every single American voted for George. [/quote]

But every single elector on the Electoral College did.
    And that's the way this country elects a President.
    So that's the vote that counts.
    And it was unanimous.
    Twice.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3537375]Initially means the first time he ran. He only (Goodell) ran once. [/QUOTE]
    Correct.
    And when he ran that one time he was elected on the 5th ballot.
    Which was NOT unanimous.

Jeez...Anything else I can better help you understand ?? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3537370]Agreed, don't like it don't go. Wait though, you are not supporting your team then. The owners and Goodell are very selective as to when fans are important. As I've said repeatedly in this thread, I have no problem with them running the business in any fashion they like, just don't bull**** the customer by telling them how important they are, how they listen to the fans, how they are very above board in their decision making.[/QUOTE]

In reality, how is this different from any other majot organization.
    Exxon does what it wants, IBM, Pfizer and the list is endless. All of those operations are bigger than the NFL and are run for the benefit of the organization. Their ads are nicey nice and they say they are for your benefit but they do as they see fit. You can write them a letter and they will reply with some standard format.
    The NFL has earned the right to do as they please. They are not going to cut their own throats. They make changes as necessaary to improve the game as they see it and help their bottom line. The NFL is not run as well as many great U.S. companies because it is an composite of 32 separate groups. But most of the owners are not going to do something they don't want to (big egos). Getting 28 votes on the OT thing is an overwhelming support.