Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does everyone feel about McCourty at 29?

How does everyone feel about McCourty at 29?

can develop into #2 cb opposite revis if/when cromartie leaves. would be great 3rd cb while cromartie is here. great ST player. good value at the spot. would allow rex to blitz and not have drew coleman covering slot wr. thoughts?

All Pro
    to quote 9/10 of the board last year who were yelling at me.. "its not a 1st rnd worthy need" at the moment.

Love it!
    McCourty would allow Rex to turn everyone loose!
    Defense wins championships- We had a 17-6 lead in Indy & our secondary couldn't hold up. Keep adding defense!

Plus he would be an excellent special teamer.
    If we do pick McCourty- Leon will be on the block.

I love leon as much as the next guy but his agents whining and Leon listening to him, has me wanting him out. These guys always forget that life goes on without them.
    He's a part time player, wanting full time money.
    Hell, we're paying LT less than what we were offering Leon.
    His agent is a HUGE *SSHOLE!

Veteran
    I don't pretend to be an expert at evaluating CBs, but I love what I hear about McCourty and think he'll be a quality pro. Even though CB is not the greatest position of need at the moment, I think it could be a great value pick for us at 29 given the contributions that he could provide us in the return game and in all other special teams areas. He would also be a great insurance policy for us at a position that, in my view, you can never have too much depth at these days.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    can develop into #2 cb opposite revis if/when cromartie leaves. would be great 3rd cb while cromartie is here. great ST player. good value at the spot. would allow rex to blitz and not have drew coleman covering slot wr. thoughts?
    interesting you mention drew coleman, the biggest issue with him is his size...and why hasn't he signed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    interesting you mention drew coleman, the biggest issue with him is his size...and why hasn't he signed yet?
    b/c he sucks?

Cromartie is only 26 and is playing for a contract. Unless he totally bombs he and Revis will be here for multiple years I think. I like the player (McCourty) but to me it makes less sense drafting a CB in round 1 than drafting Iaputi in that we have aging o-lineman who might be cap casualties before long.

Sure he will get on the field for snaps perhaps as a nickel but I don't see him starting for a number of years.

In the end if the Jets think this guy has unreal potential for being drafted at 29 I have no problem with it but I think we have our starting CB's for more than just this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

if the draft were held today that's the pick...

Hall Of Fame
    Would love the pick but doubt it's going to happen, assuming he even lasts that far. I think there's a good chance Balt or MN could grab him.

1. McCourty has return value
    2. Gunner for special teams
    3. May be better at the nickel in September than Lowery.
    4. Let's Lowery be your fourth CB, or a Cover Safety, which he was born to play.
    5. A hedge against Cromartie blowing up. There is an assumption that San Deigo got robbed and that they are not very bright ( Cromartie & LT ) but the Jets were wrong about Lito, and the Eagles look like a better judge of talent.
    6. It's a long season, you need some depth

McCourty would be a great pick

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    if the draft were held today that's the pick...
    So you think Tannenbaum saying they wont draft a CB at 29, is a smokescreen?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    So you think Tannenbaum saying they wont draft a CB at 29, is a smokescreen?
    where did he say that?

if Haden and Wilson are gone then yes he's value ... but after his 4.3 at the combine... it's very possible teams at 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28 take this player before he gets to the Jets. all have CB needs.

there will be good CB value in rounds 2 and 4 im not sure they Need to go DB at 29

I don't see CB as a huge (immediate) need now that we have Cromartie. I understand Cromartie is only under contract for this year and all, but we have bigger present day needs then to be worrying about spending our 1st round pick on a position that is fine for a year (And I'd hope we didn't give up a 3rd round pick with the chance to escalate to a 2 for a rental player).

...And I'd be hard pressed to make an argument for McCourty as BAP. If it was Kyle Wilson, yeah, I could get behind it as a BAP pick. I'm just hard pressed to see McCourty as BAP...

So by either logic, it doesn't seem like a match to me. I'd probably be mildly disapointed if that was the case, although I'd of course be pulling for McCourty to do well here.

I hope there is a better option at 29. But I would be happy with McCourty on the Jets. CB would turn into a real strength at that point.

All Pro
    I'd be fine with that. At least it's not Odrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    where did he say that?
    He never did. He said that CB would be a definite at 29 before Cromartie. Now it's merely a possibility.

I would be down with McCourty at 29.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-24-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I'd like it. Rex loves having lots of quality defensive backs and McCourty can contribute right away in nickel/dime packages and on ST's.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    4. Let's Lowery be your fourth CB, or a Cover Safety, which he was born to play.
    5. A hedge against Cromartie blowing up. There is an assumption that San Deigo got robbed and that they are not very bright ( Cromartie & LT ) but the Jets were wrong about Lito, and the Eagles look like a better judge of talent.

Said it better than me, good post

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post

ugh, i hate that you made so much sense.