Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Clemson OLB Ricky Sapp set to visit Jets

  1. #21
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Dude, they say this about pretty much every 3-4 OLB convert. Right now the ONLY reason that's perceived as correct is because he hasn't done anything yet. Athleticism is the very least of Gholston's problem...getting on the field OTOH...

    Also, another factor was that he was extremely inexperienced coming into the league. He played HS football for 2 years and then only started for 2 years of his 3 years at OSU. Most guys have been playing football since they were kids and have double the on-field experience Gholston did.
    My original post was a response to someone saying Sapp would be another project like Gholston and that we do not need another 4-3 DE conversion guy. My response was that most colleges do not run a 3-4 so most 3-4 OLBs in the NFL are indeed guys that are played 4-3 DE and project to 3-4 OLBs in the NFL. Thems the facts. If a 3-4 team wants an OLB in the draft it usually will be an undersized 4-3 DE who projects to 3-4 OLB at the next level. So saying you don't want to draft another 4-3 DE conversion guy doesn't really make sense.

    My point was that Sapp projects better to 3-4 OLB than Gholston did coming out of college. I am sure I am not the only one to share this opinion. There were a bunch of analysts during that draft that didn't think Gholston could make that transition. I hope he succeeds.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if that's your point then sure I can agree that Sapp's more fluid than Gholston. I wholly disagree with the idea that Gholston can't handle 3-4 OLB, but that seems to be a separate issue now?

  3. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post

    . The Pats and Ravens build their pass rush around their DL for a reason...if .
    I'm not sure about the Ravens but no starter for the Pats DL has ever gotten more than 8 sacks.. What makes here system so good is Seymour, Wilfork and Warren would tie up those 5 guys and allow Vrabel, Bruschi and company to make play after play..

    I'll be shocked if the Jets dont' grab Cody with their 1st rounder.. I'm screaming at patfans.com for him and people tell me i'm crazy. He reminds me of a JR Ngata

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure about the Ravens but no starter for the Pats DL has ever gotten more than 8 sacks
    Pass rush goes far beyond sacks. Our pass rush last year was mostly consistent, even if our sack numbers were middle of the road.

    The Pats DL forcing the OL to focus on them is a form of pass rush, as it forces teams to focus their protection on just those 3 guys.

    Pressure is the cause of sacks, and the real force behind pass rush.

    And yea man...Cody is Ngata 2.0 with all the same draft offseason knocks.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-25-2010 at 12:37 PM.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,046
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen Sapp play quite a bit, he's very nimble and sudden closes in a hurry. I agree, this guy makes a lot of sense for us.

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Pass rush goes far beyond sacks. Our pass rush last year was mostly consistent, even if our sack numbers were middle of the road.

    The Pats DL forcing the OL to focus on them is a form of pass rush, as it forces teams to focus their protection on just those 3 guys.

    Pressure is the cause of sacks, and the real force behind pass rush.

    And yea man...Cody is Ngata 2.0 with all the same draft offseason knocks.
    I can tell you their pressure isn't even there. in 07 there pass rush was generated because the offense was putting up some many points and the defense knew the opponent was going to throw the ball.. Its almost been 3 years since they've been an excellent defense.

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,195
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Pass rush goes far beyond sacks. Our pass rush last year was mostly consistent, even if our sack numbers were middle of the road.

    The Pats DL forcing the OL to focus on them is a form of pass rush, as it forces teams to focus their protection on just those 3 guys.

    Pressure is the cause of sacks, and the real force behind pass rush.

    And yea man...Cody is Ngata 2.0 with all the same draft offseason knocks.
    Isn't Ngata actually a good athlete?

  8. #28
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Isn't Ngata actually a good athlete?
    Cody has good feet work.. Mayock was talking about this a day ago on NFLN..

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Isn't Ngata actually a good athlete?
    So is Cody. Athleticism goes beyond 40 time and combine workout numbers, believe it or not. For instance, when I speak about Sapp's athleticism I'm not just talking about his good workout numbers.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    I motion a one week suspension from the draft forum for whoever makes a terrible Gholston comparison.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us