Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Clemson OLB Ricky Sapp set to visit Jets

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Clemson OLB Ricky Sapp set to visit Jets

    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...Cardinals.html
    Defensive end Ricky Sapp is scheduled to work out for the New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals in April, the former Clemson Tiger told the National Football Post on Wednesday.

    In addition to the Jets and Cardinals, Sapp has already worked out for the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots.

    The 6’4”, 245-pounder recorded 139 tackles and 16 sacks in four years at Clemson. Many experts expect the 23-year-old Sapp to make the move to outside linebacker at the next level.

    Sapp tore his ACL against Virginia on November 22, 2008, but battled back and started all 14 games for the Tigers in 2009, amassing 60 stops with 15 tackles for a loss.

    He told us on Wednesday that he played the entire 2009 season with his knee at about 60%, but that he’s been working hard to get it back to where it needs to be.

    Despite the concerns about his knee, Sapp ran a 4.66 40-yard-dash at last month’s combine in Indianapolis.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    This kid has the potential to be a great player.

    I'm all for taking the chance on him.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of an underachiever, like some other Clemson DE's in recent memory.

    Good thing though is Clemson utilizes a scheme where their ends are called on to drop back in coverage so I think he's more adept than most to be a 3-4 OLB.

    I think he'll be a solid 3-4 OLB but I don't think he'll ever be some terror off the edge. Consistent 6-8 sack guy is my guess after he matures a bit...

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Kind of an underachiever, like some other Clemson DE's in recent memory.

    Good thing though is Clemson utilizes a scheme where their ends are called on to drop back in coverage so I think he's more adept than most to be a 3-4 OLB.

    I think he'll be a solid 3-4 OLB but I don't think he'll ever be some terror off the edge. Consistent 6-8 sack guy is my guess after he matures a bit...

    not really an underachiever...hurt his knee late in '08 and it was not rehabbed properly so he was playing at 65% last year...finally had the situation cleared up after the season, hence his reason for missing the Senior Bowl....

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    A 245lb OLB? That's really light compared to most other 3-4 OLBs

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    not really an underachiever...hurt his knee late in '08 and it was not rehabbed properly so he was playing at 65% last year...finally had the situation cleared up after the season, hence his reason for missing the Senior Bowl....
    If you say it's legit, I'll believe it. Kind of sounded like an excuse from him. Adams never did much before him and that all-world kid Bowers after him still isn't playing up to snuff.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    A 245lb OLB? That's really light compared to most other 3-4 OLBs
    I saw 252 from the combine, perhaps CBNY can shed light.

    Although, Dumervil outweighs him and is 5 inches shorter.

    He needs to bulk up, obviously.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    This kid has the potential to be a great player.

    I'm all for taking the chance on him.
    Good to see what Rex thinks for him. We certainly need a beam riding missile aimed at the qb

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sapp's one of those guys who might be a better pro than college player. He's the most fluid of the DE prospects, IMO.

    Other guys who fall into that category:

    Keiland Williams
    DeMaryius Thomas
    Greg Hardy (well...he was dominant in college, just not healthy)
    Taylor Mays
    Corey Wootton
    Al Woods
    Cam Thomas
    Tony Moeaki
    Colin Peek
    Javarris James
    AJ Edds
    Dekoda Watson - Gut feel, but he would work really well with Rex.

    I'd say Cody, but he was a top college DT. All he needs to do is drop the weight.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-25-2010 at 09:26 AM.

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is just nice to see that a speedy edge rusher is being look at in this draft. There are a lot of guys that fit 3-4 OLB. Not sure if Sapp is first or second round material. Intriguing prospect for sure. He has the tools.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hell no.

    This kid already tore his ACL back in 2008 and lets not forget... We already have a project player in Vernon Gholston; who's also trying to learn the role of a 3-4 OLB after years of playing as a 4-3 DE on the college level. We don't need another one.

    No thanks.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    A 245lb OLB? That's really light compared to most other 3-4 OLBs
    Ricky looks very thin for his size. I met him last season...and the Clemson training staff was worried about him trying to put too much weight on due to his knee situation. He could easily play at around 260 in the NFL...and thats where I think he will eventualy play at.

    Kid is fast and is best suited at 3-4 OLB. As mentioned earlier...he was asked to drop into coverage some and did fine. I think he could be nice addition to the defense.

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Hell no.

    This kid already tore his ACL back in 2008 and lets not forget... We already have a project player in Vernon Gholston; who's also trying to learn the role of a 3-4 OLB after years of playing as a 4-3 DE on the college level. We don't need another one.

    No thanks.
    Not a lot of 3-4 defenses being used in college. So most 3-4 OLBs are DE conversion guys. I guess you are fine with sticking with the guys we have at OLB? Drafting an OLB will most likely mean that we are projecting a college DE can play 3-4 OLB. Gholston should have never been drafted for the 3-4. Sapp would project better than Gholston. But I hope we grab someone later than 29. Kinda high on Jason Worilds right now.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,301
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need passrushers, that has to come from the OLB's in our defense. As of now Pace is adequate, Thomas is non-existent as is Vernon.

    This needs to be addressed so that we don't have to consistently blitz 7-8 guys to get pressure.

    I don't know if Sapp is the one for us or not, CBNY is high on him which says a lot. It's a pretty big need either way.
    -----------------------------------------------------

    Can someone please answer a question for me, that I didn't want to start another thread on. I really like what I hear about Weatherspoon, I think his personality would mesh well with Rex and Bart. I see him listed as an OLB but it seems he's only discussed with 4-3 teams.

    Is Weatherspoon capable of playing as an OLB in the 3-4? Would he offer anything in the way of pass rush off the edge in our system?

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gholston should have never been drafted for the 3-4.
    1. Not true.

    2. Only treated as true because he hasn't blown up in his first 2 seasons as he "should have."

    I'm stunned at how little credit is handed to the 3-4 DL in the pass rush. The Pats and Ravens build their pass rush around their DL for a reason...if you can get a pass rush from as few guys as possible then your whole D plays up for it. I don't think we need an OLB as much as we need a talented DL.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-25-2010 at 10:14 AM.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    1. Not true.

    2. Only treated as true because he hasn't blown up in his first 2 seasons as he "should have."

    I'm stunned at how little credit is handed to the 3-4 DL in the pass rush. The Pats and Ravens build their pass rush around their DL for a reason...if you can get a pass rush from as few guys as possible then your whole D plays up for it. I don't think we need an OLB as much as we need a talented DL.

    if rex thinks he can get production out of a guy like westerman, then much of this is attritutable to the scheme itself. and since the scheme is dependent on having a stout front 3 and capable cbs, i would expect tanny to try to get these pieces for rex to scheme with.

  17. #17
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    1. Not true.

    2. Only treated as true because he hasn't blown up in his first 2 seasons as he "should have."

    I'm stunned at how little credit is handed to the 3-4 DL in the pass rush. The Pats and Ravens build their pass rush around their DL for a reason...if you can get a pass rush from as few guys as possible then your whole D plays up for it. I don't think we need an OLB as much as we need a talented DL.
    Gholston cannot drop back into coverage the way you need in a 3-4. He is stiff. Great 4-3 edge rusher with his hand in the dirt but the guy isn't fluid enough to drop back.

    Agreed on the DL pass rush. We need to get a pass rush from the heavies up front. That will open everything up. Ngata would be a dream in this defense. Too bad there is not someone like that available at 29. Cody or Odrick could help though.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    must add how many people continue to undervalue and underrate Ricky Sapp of Clemson- guy has late first round ability in my opinion and in the opinion of others...don't know whether it is because he played on a bad knee last year or whether teams are downgrading players like him from Clemson-
    I saw this in another thread from a few days ago. Thanks, CBNY


    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=210658
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-25-2010 at 11:15 AM.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    Gholston cannot drop back into coverage the way you need in a 3-4. He is stiff. Great 4-3 edge rusher with his hand in the dirt but the guy isn't fluid enough to drop back.

    Agreed on the DL pass rush. We need to get a pass rush from the heavies up front. That will open everything up. Ngata would be a dream in this defense. Too bad there is not someone like that available at 29. Cody or Odrick could help though.
    Dude, they say this about pretty much every 3-4 OLB convert. Right now the ONLY reason that's perceived as correct is because he hasn't done anything yet. Athleticism is the very least of Gholston's problem...getting on the field OTOH...

    Also, another factor was that he was extremely inexperienced coming into the league. He played HS football for 2 years and then only started for 2 years of his 3 years at OSU. Most guys have been playing football since they were kids and have double the on-field experience Gholston did.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Hell no.

    This kid already tore his ACL back in 2008 and lets not forget... We already have a project player in Vernon Gholston; who's also trying to learn the role of a 3-4 OLB after years of playing as a 4-3 DE on the college level. We don't need another one.

    No thanks.
    +1, and DL and FS are still more pressing needs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us