Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Mayock's Top 20

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Mayock's Top 20

Mike Mayock revealed the top 20 players on his draft board for the 2010 NFL Draft tonight and they are as follows...

1. Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
    2. Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
    3. Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State
    4. Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma
    5. Russell Okung T Oklahoma State
    6. C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
    7. Earl Thomas S Texas
    8. Bryan Bulaga T Iowa
    9. Joe Haden CB Florida
    10. Eric Berry S Tennessee
    11. Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida
    12. Trent Williams T Oklahoma
    13. Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
    14. Dan Williams DT Tennessee
    15. Sergio Kindle OLB Texas
    16. Rolando McClain ILB Alabama
    17. Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma
    18. Brandon Graham DE Michigan
    19. Maurkice Pouncey C Florida
    20. Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame

Thoughts:

- Mayock is one of the few who didn't fall for the Bryant garbage that's been coming out during the dry news week. I give him props for that.

- Suh > McCoy

- He's done the Thomas over Berry thing a few times. I'll offer my own interpretation on this...he doesn't really believe this but he does want to cool the whole "Berry in the top 5" thing. Berry is one of the top prospects in this draft, but he's an averaged sized safety in a deep draft too. I probably misinterpret, but since I haven't done a mock in a while I'll run with it. I still think Berry goes 7th on draft day if the Browns stay put.

- This draft is convoluted as hell. All there is is noise, noise, noise.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    His list looks ok for the most part, but no way McCoy over Suh

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I trust Mayock's evaluations more than any other mainstream guy out there.

I believe it was '07 or '08 when 85-90 of his Top 100 rated players went in the Top 100 of the draft. That's nuts.

At #29, I say go with a CB or D-lineman. Us getting shredded by Manning in the AFC Championship proved that you can never have too many quality DB's, especially with the passing game becoming more and more incorporated into the NFL.

And at the same time, we're lacking young, quality talent along the DL. With Douglas gone, who do we have to play opposite Ellis? Mike DeVito? Don't get me wrong, I like the guy in a rotational role, but do we really want him starting? And at the same time, Ellis is getting long in the tooth. As is Jenkins who despite being dominant when healthy, has been prone to injury and is also approaching the end of his career.

Getting someone like McCourty to come in as the nickelback or Odrick/Cody to help fill out the DL in round 1 would be a good idea. JMO

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    look at where Pouncey is. I swear you guys.. I'm really like the idea of taking him..

We've been fortunate over the last couple years to have avoided injuries on our 0-line, but y'all remember what it's like when you lose a lineman or two? Its like suffocating.

Maurkice is money in the bank insurance on the entire o-line. So critical to our success.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    look at where Pouncey is. I swear you guys.. I'm really like the idea of taking him..

We've been fortunate over the last couple years to have avoided injuries on our 0-line, but y'all remember what it's like when you lose a lineman or two? Its like suffocating.

Maurkice is money in the bank insurance on the entire o-line. So critical to our success.
    If the team is looking at Iupati than you have to look at Pouncy IMO. Not crazy about taking a first rounder as an insurance policy though. I keep hearing that this kid is plug and play from day one. Maybe he sits a year but then Moore would most likely not be back unless Pouncey can kick our to right tackle.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    His list looks ok for the most part, but no way McCoy over Suh
    a lot of people have McCoy over Suh- I don't agree as I think Suh is more of a one man force- but those who like McCoy are mostly basing it on his first step, which is better than Suh's, and the belief he'll be quicker beating blockers which will make him quicker getting penetration behind the LOS.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    If the team is looking at Iupati than you have to look at Pouncy IMO. Not crazy about taking a first rounder as an insurance policy though. I keep hearing that this kid is plug and play from day one. Maybe he sits a year but then Moore would most likely not be back unless Pouncey can kick our to right tackle.
    I hear ya, I'm not crazy about spending a 1st on insurance either, but ever there was a position that you would do that, O-Line is that area. Not to mention, Pouncey could possibly be straight up better than Moore or Woody by midseason. Unlikely, but...

If the right DT or pass rusher isn't there, I think he makes more sense than alot of the wackyness i'm reading

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    Pouncey is the guy I want as well....

We have been very fortunate on the Oline having had virtually no injuries the past couple years.

Pouncey can be a backup to mangold, OG and RT this year, and then start at LG for faneca or RT (somewhat of a stretch but has the athleticism and size to play the position) next year.

We have a franchise QB and young RBs....we need to protect our investment and be able to run the ball, building Oline Depth BEFORE you need it is the key to both of those things.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Pouncey is the guy I want as well....

We have been very fortunate on the Oline having had virtually no injuries the past couple years.

Pouncey can be a backup to mangold, OG and RT this year, and then start at LG for faneca or RT (somewhat of a stretch but has the athleticism and size to play the position) next year.

We have a franchise QB and young RBs....we need to protect our investment and be able to run the ball, building Oline Depth BEFORE you need it is the key to both of those things.
    This is what i love about the guy, he's NFL ready and can be plugged in where ever we need him (sauf maybe LT).
    Think about that for a second. Guard, tackle, center, your a$$ is covered.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

At #29, I say go with a CB or D-lineman. Us getting shredded by Manning in the AFC Championship proved that you can never have too many quality DB's, especially with the passing game becoming more and more incorporated into the NFL.

And at the same time, we're lacking young, quality talent along the DL. With Douglas gone, who do we have to play opposite Ellis? Mike DeVito? Don't get me wrong, I like the guy in a rotational role, but do we really want him starting? And at the same time, Ellis is getting long in the tooth. As is Jenkins who despite being dominant when healthy, has been prone to injury and is also approaching the end of his career.

Getting someone like McCourty to come in as the nickelback or Odrick/Cody to help fill out the DL in round 1 would be a good idea. JMO

... ... well said ... ...

(edit - i'm also good with pass rushing olb)

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could see McCoy over Suh, but Thomas over Berry has be disgusted with Mayock this year.

There's absolutely nothing Thomas does better than Berry.