Thread: The last Mock Draft of the season for SafetyBlitz ~ Jets only

All League

The last Mock Draft of the season for SafetyBlitz ~ Jets only

It's all smoke and mirrors we'll hear for the next couple of weeks, so here's my last projection for the J E T S.

Round 1: Jerry Hughes DE/OLB Texas Christian

Round 2: Tyson Alualu DE Cal

Trade our 4th and 5th rounders for a late third.

Round 3: Toby Gerhart RB Stanford

Round 6: John Conner FB Kentucky

Round 7: LeRoy Vann, KR/PR, Florida A&M - 11 special teams touchdowns in 2 years! Just pure KR vision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4NvC...eature=related

~ I picked players that I think are values for their pick, fit this team (i.e. Rex) and are at positions we need to, or will soon need to address.

I really like the motor/intensity of Hughes and Alualu, not to mention Hughes speed. Alualu played in a 3-4 as a DE, and plays his heart out every play, might have one of the best motors in the draft... sounds perfect for Rex.

Gerhart is a personal favorite. I heard we worked him out, and now I'm convinced the Jets feel the same way. He fits the style of running we need and Leon, IMO, is still a huge question mark. I traded up for him, because I've read recently that teams think he's a 3rd or 4th round player, so I think we'll need to move up from our 4th rounder to pick him up. Shouldn't be too difficult, the mid rounds are ripe with teams looking to trade.

John Conner I've researched since the combine and there happens to be a great deal of tape on him on the internet and he straight lays people out, great blocker. Richardson has got 1 year left and when he goes, we'll miss him. Might as well take his replacement and have Richardson mentor him for a year.

We need a kick returner and LeRoy Vann is a beast. I don't care if he doesn't have a position other than KR... he's scored 11 times on special teams in 2 seasons! Give this pick to Westhoff!

Best Jets mock I've seen this year.

If we really go with Gerhart, we could unload Leon and then go after someone like Andre Roberts for the slot.

And I LOVE the Vann pick...make me forget all about Leon.
    Last edited by CTJets69; 03-25-2010 at 01:23 PM.

I like this mock a lot.

All Pro
    i love the direction of the first 2 picks, and the sixth as well, but is Gerhart expected to be there in the late 3rd (which is where our 4th and 5th would land us)? I doubt it. and do we need him? Rbs don't need alot of "grooming" time. We can get someone next year of that caliber. Rather spend the 4th on blocking TE like Elderidge and the 5th on a WR.

I like picks 1, 2 & 6...But I'd rather get another CB in this draft possibly a developmental S as well.

I love the Conner pick! Love it!

Best Mock out there. nice picks.

If gerhart aint there in the 3rd i would go with Montario Hardesty -Rb of Tennessee or Reshad Jones -S-out of Georgia.

but very good.

Well done.

My only worry is WR. I would rather take a WR 3rd round...

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    It's all smoke and mirrors we'll hear for the next couple of weeks, so here's my last projection for the J E T S.

Round 1: Jerry Hughes DE/OLB Texas Christian

Round 2: Tyson Alualu DE Cal

Trade our 4th and 5th rounders for a late third.

Round 3: Toby Gerhart RB Stanford

Round 6: John Conner FB Kentucky

Round 7: LeRoy Vann, KR/PR, Florida A&M - 11 special teams touchdowns in 2 years! Just pure KR vision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4NvC...eature=related

~ I picked players that I think are values for their pick, fit this team (i.e. Rex) and are at positions we need to, or will soon need to address.

I really like the motor/intensity of Hughes and Alualu, not to mention Hughes speed. Alualu played in a 3-4 as a DE, and plays his heart out every play, might have one of the best motors in the draft... sounds perfect for Rex.

Gerhart is a personal favorite. I heard we worked him out, and now I'm convinced the Jets feel the same way. He fits the style of running we need and Leon, IMO, is still a huge question mark. I traded up for him, because I've read recently that teams think he's a 3rd or 4th round player, so I think we'll need to move up from our 4th rounder to pick him up. Shouldn't be too difficult, the mid rounds are ripe with teams looking to trade.

John Conner I've researched since the combine and there happens to be a great deal of tape on him on the internet and he straight lays people out, great blocker. Richardson has got 1 year left and when he goes, we'll miss him. Might as well take his replacement and have Richardson mentor him for a year.

We need a kick returner and LeRoy Vann is a beast. I don't care if he doesn't have a position other than KR... he's scored 11 times on special teams in 2 seasons! Give this pick to Westhoff!
    Best Mock I've seen on JI so far. We'd prob need to bring back Coles or another vet for the slot.

I <3 Gerhart for the Jets and he fits this teams style however you think he'll be around in the late 3rd. I sure hope so.

Could you imagine how worn down opposing defense would be after running it down thier throats with S GREENE and GERHART. They'd be tired at halftime.

Bye bye leon for Andre Roberts or Eric Decker

All League
    First, thank you to all of you: CTJets69, Beerfish, C Mart, HollywoodJet, GGI, Paradis and MarkyMarkSanchez for your praise/endorsement of this effort.

I have been reading this forum and formulating opinions on the strength of your daily contributions to this forum - I read a lot of this website, particularly the draft forum and think this is a great place for the exchanging of information and the free-flow of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    i love the direction of the first 2 picks, and the sixth as well, but is Gerhart expected to be there in the late 3rd (which is where our 4th and 5th would land us)? I doubt it. and do we need him?
    I've got to get to class, but when I get back tonight I'll look for where I read that he's considered a third or fourth rounder by NFL scouting depts.

I agree with you though, if your assessment is that he should go higher. I think he's worth a second rounder, but if we can play the board right and he does/is go/rated as a third or fourth rounder I want us to make a move and scoop him up.

I don't want to take a RB in the second round because I think the d-line will be the value there, and we need help along the d-line.

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Well done.

My only worry is WR. I would rather take a WR 3rd round...
    I hear you on that GGI. That's a reasonable issue. I'm the one being "go get me that player" about it, while the value in the third or fourth might be in WR, and this team might need a WR more than a RB.

But I think Gerhart fits this team and what we're trying to do and I'm not confident about Leon, he's just starting to run now... I love Leon and if he comes back 100% this will be a surplus pick, but then again LT is only here for 2 years (one year if we draft Gerhart IMO) and we'll need another between the tackles bruiser.

If we draft an RB that means that Leon is expendable, plain and simple.

The bigger question is...Who is going to perform better and sooner? A rookie RB or a rookie WR? And which do we hedge our bets on?

We could still get a slot receiver in this scenario if we trade Leon but this draft places a premium on our two strengths and augmenting those accordingly. I know we all want to give Sanchez all the weapons he can deal with, but face it, he's still a 2nd year QB and he's going to rely on the running game.

Gerhart's a house, Alualu has got a great motor, and while I'm not completely sold on Jerry Hughes (if Graham is there you gotta take him), he would at the very least force opposing QBs to get rid of the ball quicker with his crazy speed. That and I've watched Vann's youtube video a few times today and he's just friekin crazy. Cut the 4 QB crap, cut O'Connell, and replace the void of Leon on kick returns and keep Leonherd out of harm's way on punt returns

Kudos SafetyBlitz...you definitely have the right idea with this draft.