Thread: Is Suh Really Worth the #1 pick?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Suh Really Worth the #1 pick?

Look, the guy passes every single test imaginable. His college production was through the roof; he's big, strong, and fast; he has a relentless motor; he comes from a strong program; he really seems to love football; his game film looks great; and he tested out very well at the combine/pro-day/etc.

However, is this guy really worth the #1 pick in the NFL draft? I have no doubts that, barring injury, Suh will go on to have a very good to excellent career for 10+ years, but at the end of the day I just don't see him being a dominate pass-rusher that can take over a game single-handedly like, say, a Warren Sapp.

I don't particularly love playing the "comparison" game, if you will, but I see him turning into a Richard Seymour-type player. Very good to Excellent, but worth the #1 pick? I personally prefer Suh as a 3-4 defensive end rather than a 4-3 defensive tackle, but again, that's just my preference.

If I'm running a 4-3 scheme, I think I take Gerald McCoy over Suh because of his higher ceiling as a pass-rusher. If I'm running a 3-4, I take Suh because of his ability to hold the point-of-attack, control gaps, and offer some pass-rush ability mixed in.

My point is not to bash Suh at all, because he's obviously the complete package and an excellent prospect. But I do hear some on these boards calling him the "best DT prospect in 10+ years" or the "perfect player," and I just don't see it -- not because of a lack of production but rather from his lack of all-world upside.

So I ask, is he really worth the #1 pick? I think he is, by a mile, the safest player in this draft. Whoever drafts him will get a very good player for long time. I just don't think he'll turn out to be the best player from this draft and wonder if he'll have the type of game-changing ability to justify the #1 pick.

JMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richard Seymour went 6 and in that draft and went on to be a 3x All Pro and 5 time pro bowler, with 3 rings.

Yes he's worth the #1 selection.

if you don't take my word for it

Kiper said he was the best guy he'd seen in 30 years.

Casserly said this was the strongest class for 30 years.

Passing on Suh isn't like passing on Jordan or Lebron but it is like passing on Seymour, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers etc.

who can you take in any draft that is worth more than the best defensive lineman in maybe a decade? Maybe ever?

If Suh drops it will be lunacy on the part of the Rams. They dont even have an owner to pay these guys

here's a question who is cheaper Suh or Bradford? That might decide this thing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Richard Seymour went 6 and in that draft and went on to be a 3x All Pro and 5 time pro bowler, with 3 rings.

Passing on Suh isn't like passing on Jordan or Lebron but it is like passing on Seymour, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers etc.

who can you take in any draft that is worth more than the best defensive lineman in maybe a decade? Maybe ever?

If Suh drops it will be lunacy on the part of the Rams. They dont even have an owner to pay these guys

If Bradford doesn't go #1 he'll fall to #4, at best. I wonder if his camp will lower their asking price significantly to insure that he's the #1 pick, if as you say it comes down to dollars and cents. Taking less money at #1 is still a whole lot more money than #4.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    If Bradford doesn't go #1 he'll fall to #4, at best. I wonder if his camp will lower their asking price significantly to insure that he's the #1 pick, if as you say it comes down to dollars and cents. Taking less money at #1 is still a whole lot more money than #4.
    the agent talk is interesting

besides Bradford, Tom Condon represents a ton of QBs, Stafford (last years' #1) and both Mannings. He certainly knows how to get a deal done. Condon also had Leinart and Quinn so he can also not get a deal done and is willing to take the fall in draft slot.

Representing Suh is Jets favorite (not really) Roosevelt Barnes. Barnes also represents Alex Barron... not as ideal a situation for the Rams...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...3?OpenDocument

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely, the Rams should bite the bullet and pick this guy or they'll surely regret it. He's just too good a prospect for them to pass up.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Like passing on Jordan or Lebron? Come on man, you can't be serious. Great collage player-yes. Compairing him to legends- lets waite and see how he does playing against real men.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsonly View Post
    Like passing on Jordan or Lebron? Come on man, you can't be serious. Great collage player-yes. Compairing him to legends- lets waite and see how he does playing against real men.
    you realize he said it is NOT like passing on jordan or lebron, right?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm running a 4-3 scheme, I think I take Gerald McCoy over Suh because of his higher ceiling as a pass-rusher.
    Yea, that pretty much nails why some might like McCoy better.

If Suh were to become a Seymour, then that'd be great for the #1 overall pick. Seymour's a future HOF and the modern prototype for a 3-4 DE.

I'd use the #1 pick on Suh because he's safe, but I don't buy this "best prospect everz" crap and so on...He's not even the best DT prospect of the decade IMO. Still, there's not really any holes in his game and his knee injury is obviously behind him. That alone holds enough value to be taken #1 overall. Personally, I think he's more Darnell Dockett as a pro than Richard Seymour, but because Dockett plays in Arizona and wasn't a high first round pick no one seems to like the comparison. Either way, Dockett's one of the best and most versatile DL in this league so...win.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    you realize he said it is NOT like passing on jordan or lebron, right?
    I appoligze. Get off work at midnight and slam beer. Was reading without my bifocals. Very sorry Bit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Yea, that pretty much nails why some might like McCoy better.
    Suh is such a legit pass rusher he could play 4-3 DE like Strahan or Reggie White...

people who say McCoy is a better pass rusher or "more explosive" ignore the fact that Suh has as many sacks in his senior year as McCoy had in his entire career... Suh has double the sacks of McCoy, over the course of their college careers... also Suh ran just as fast if not faster as McCoy

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rams should just draft Suh and go to a 3-4 defense and try to get Cody in round 2 at 33 if he's there or trade up to be their Nose. That would help salvage Carriker and Long who have both been hideous in the NFL so far and make their defensive front 7 legit.

But instead they'll draft a QB, probably Bradford, and set him up for failure with their piss poor O-line and no receivers to throw to and a defense that will continue to get lit up every Sunday. At least when the Lions drafted Stafford he had Calvin Johnson to throw to. Who is Bradford supposed to throw to?
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 03-28-2010 at 03:09 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ I don't disagree entirely with you, but obviously when healthy S. Jackson is more than a viable back, and Avery is a respectable wideout, especially when paired with L. Robinson who was coming into his own (Dunno why ATL shipped him out in his 3rd year). Robinson was actually in full beast mode before going on IR by wk 3 or 4.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    ^ I don't disagree entirely with you, but obviously when healthy S. Jackson is more than a viable back, and Avery is a respectable wideout, especially when paired with L. Robinson who was coming into his own (Dunno why ATL shipped him out in his 3rd year). Robinson was actually in full beast mode before going on IR by wk 3 or 4.
    I don't have much hope for the Rams offense next season. Even with Jackson and Robinson. I feel sorry for any rookie QB who gets thrown into that buzzsaw in year 1 of an NFL career. The Rams are in a position to get both Suh and Cody - take those two players and run a 3-4 instead of 4-3 and at least their defense would look respectable next season.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing is that St. Louis has NOBODY at QB. If the team that had this pick had a franchise quarterback, then Suh would be the choice. The Rams can not win no matter how good their D-Line is with Ndamukong the Monster. Take Bradford if they want to contend this season otherwise it's Jake Locker just in time for the lockout

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it would never happen, but if Suh was added to our front 3?? He'd be a terror being the recipient of one on one matchups. Kris Jenkins would dictate a double team and leave Suh to clean up. It would automatically launch our defense into the stratosphere.......

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    At least when the Lions drafted Stafford he had Calvin Johnson to throw to. Who is Bradford supposed to throw to?
    Donnie Avery isn't half bad.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem asking the question, "Is suh worth the #1 pick" is you have to make the same statement for all of the other players at the top. If you pick at points about Suh then you have to make the same examination of McCoy, then you have to ask if Bradford is worth being #1, etc.