Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brett Ratliff to get cut?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Brett Ratliff to get cut?

By James Walker - Cleveland cannot stop discussing the Browns' quarterback situation.

But there is one name that never comes up in the conversation: Brett Ratliff.

Ratliff Remember him?

"Ratty" was brought to Cleveland last year in a trade with the New York Jets. Some felt Ratliff might eventually earn a starting role in Cleveland if Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson faltered.

Well, Quinn and Anderson are no longer with the Browns. Yet, Ratliff is lost in the mix and not in the conversation. The reason is Ratliff is a Eric Mangini favorite and a product of the head coach.

With new Browns president Mike Holmgren now running the show, he has no connection or personal investment in Ratliff. The third-year quarterback is just a third-stringer to Holmgren, currently sitting behind expected starter Jake Delhomme and No. 2 quarterback Seneca Wallace.

If (or when) the Browns draft a rookie quarterback next month, Ratliff will find himself competing for a roster spot with three others at the same position. Delhomme and Wallace are safe, and Ratliff's chances of beating out a Holmgren draft pick are extremely slim, especially if it's a well-regarded prospect such as Colt McCoy or Dan LeFevour, for example.

With Anderson and Quinn already moved, would anyone really be surprised if Holmgren completed the trifecta by adding three new quarterbacks to the roster in 2010?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i still can't ****ing believe senaca wallace beat us..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3537871]i still can't ****ing believe senaca wallace beat us..[/QUOTE]

I know, that was nuts, with their entire o line injured to boot...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bcess;3537870]By James Walker - Cleveland cannot stop discussing the Browns' quarterback situation.

But there is one name that never comes up in the conversation: Brett Ratliff.

Ratliff Remember him?

"Ratty" was brought to Cleveland last year in a trade with the New York Jets. Some felt Ratliff might eventually earn a starting role in Cleveland if Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson faltered.

Well, Quinn and Anderson are no longer with the Browns. Yet, Ratliff is lost in the mix and not in the conversation. The reason is Ratliff is a Eric Mangini favorite and a product of the head coach.

With new Browns president Mike Holmgren now running the show, he has no connection or personal investment in Ratliff. The third-year quarterback is just a third-stringer to Holmgren, currently sitting behind expected starter Jake Delhomme and No. 2 quarterback Seneca Wallace.

If (or when) the Browns draft a rookie quarterback next month, Ratliff will find himself competing for a roster spot with three others at the same position. Delhomme and Wallace are safe, and Ratliff's chances of beating out a Holmgren draft pick are extremely slim, especially if it's a well-regarded prospect such as Colt McCoy or Dan LeFevour, for example.

With Anderson and Quinn already moved, would anyone really be surprised if Holmgren completed the trifecta by adding three new quarterbacks to the roster in 2010?[/QUOTE]

Personal investment????? If the kid can play, Holmgren will see it.

There's a reason he never played a significant down for us.... let the law of talent proceed. I wish him luck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's precisely the "kid's" problem

CAN'T

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So do we bring him back to be our 5th QB if he gets cut?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO

we have THREE better than him and Clemens

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ratty could get cut... but he could also endear himself to the walrus with a good preseason... delhomme is brutal and wallace has limitations... and injuries happen all the time... it looks bleak for ratty but he has chances

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    gholston for ratliff straight up

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    sign this breast.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3537871]i still can't ****ing believe senaca wallace beat us..[/QUOTE]

See, that didn't happen in my version. The season ended in Tennessee.

Good year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3537879]So do we bring him back to be our 5th QB if he gets cut?[/QUOTE]

+1

DEPTH IS IMPORTANT

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    imo, holmgren doesn't appear to have much talent choosing qb's. dumping anderson and then trading quinn and replacing them with delhomme and wallace? wtf, over? isn't this the same guy who traded the jets a 3rd rounder for foley? how many decent qb's has holmgren developed besides hasselbeck? wasn't favre there before holmgren?

the point is he got rid of one group of qb's and replaced them with guys equally bad or worse. i guess he's looking at a rebuilding year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Del homme is a terrible awful QB, I have a tough time believing Ratliff is actually worse than him. Why the Browns went after him is totally 100% beyond me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would Cleveland now draft a QB in Round #1 with all the other HUGE holes they have to fill????

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, he's good. He beat a bunch of Arena League 4th stringers in the second half of a preseason game against Cleveland.

He's good.:rolleyes:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember when the discussion of Sanchez vs. Ratliff actually had some legs on this board?

lolz.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3537881]NO

we have THREE better than him and Clemens[/QUOTE]

This post made me Lol. The subtlety is priceless. Personally, I'd let Ratliff battle Sanchez for the starting spot...keep it an open competition. That guy's going to be somebody. :rolleyes:

Ratliff being cut means Holmgren hates Mangini style players. The Browns are saved!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3537991]This post made me Lol. The subtlety is priceless. Personally, I'd let Ratliff battle Sanchez for the starting spot...keep it an open competition. That guy's going to be somebody. :rolleyes:

Ratliff being cut means Holmgren hates Mangini style players. The Browns are saved![/QUOTE]

Ratliff cut means Mangini sinks even lower into irrelevancy/soon to be obscurity.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3537993]Ratliff cut means Mangini sinks even lower into irrelevancy/soon to be obscurity.[/QUOTE]

Mangini had his chance, and also gave Ratliff a chance. Ratliff showed he had some skills, but has never been better than a #3 QB.

Everyone can't stand Clemens, and Ratliff couldn't beat him out.