Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan unsure about bringing Jay Feely back

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryan unsure about bringing Jay Feely back

Rex Ryan unsure about bringing Jay Feely back

Mar 25 3/25/2010 4:05:58 PM | More

Manish Mehta of the Newark Star Ledger reports Jets coach Rex Ryan was cryptic about whether unrestricted free agent kicker Jay Feely will return. Feely visited the Arizona Cardinals last weekend.

“We’ll see,” Ryan said about re-signing the veteran. “We’re always open to any situation. Right now, we got Nick Folk and we’re happy to have him.”

Like I said dime a dozen. See ya!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't read anything into this. Of course he's gonna say we're happy with what we've got. Even if he hated Folk, he's gotta say we're happy in case we're stuck with him. Also, how are the Jets supposed to have any leverage if the coach is on record saying "we could use an upgrade" or "damn, I wish we had Jay back".
    Fact of the matter is that with the exception of the AFC Championship, Jay had a GREAT year and I for one hope we resign him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was nice knowing you Jay. Great kicker for us.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    losing jay feely, seriously scares me more than anything this off season. a good kicker is hard to come by. feely is far from automatic, but he's got balls and I feel a ton more confident with him then Folk. once a kicker loses it, out of fork in him , he's done. I want feely back bad.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Miracle In The Meadowlands;3537981]You can't read anything into this. Of course he's gonna say we're happy with what we've got. Even if he hated Folk, he's gotta say we're happy in case we're stuck with him. Also, how are the Jets supposed to have any leverage if the coach is on record saying "we could use an upgrade" or "damn, I wish we had Jay back".
    Fact of the matter is that with the exception of the AFC Championship, Jay had a GREAT year and I for one hope we resign him.[/QUOTE]

Great post, I agree with everything you said MITM.

For example: Heading into the draft during last years offseason... Rex Ryan had an interview, talking about how he's ready for either Kellen or Ratliff to lead the Jets Offensive attack (Maybe he was telling the truth, for the simple fact, he knew we were going to play elite Defense, while rushing the rock more than any other team in the league). But at the same time, to make a long stroy short... With the way that Rex Ryan was approaching the situation, he even had the actuall QB's such as Clemens and Ratliff actually believing that there would be an open competition and before you knew it... Ratliff was on his way out of town, even had to make a U-Turn on his way towards the draft party and Mark Sanchez was drafted, and that was after Rex Ryan "Made it known" that he was 100% confident about the current QB's on the Jets roster.

If Rex Ryan can upgrade, if the Jets can upgrade... They will, and it really doesn't matter what the team says during the offseason, because the bottom line is this... An upgrade is an upgrade and as a Franchise and Fan Base, we never know when different types of moves are about to be made; until their actually made.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 03-25-2010 at 11:29 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Miracle In The Meadowlands;3537981]You can't read anything into this. Of course he's gonna say we're happy with what we've got. Even if he hated Folk, he's gotta say we're happy in case we're stuck with him. Also, how are the Jets supposed to have any leverage if the coach is on record saying "we could use an upgrade" or "damn, I wish we had Jay back".
    Fact of the matter is that with the exception of the AFC Championship, Jay had a GREAT year and I for one hope we resign him.[/QUOTE]

+1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jet22dan;3537995]losing jay feely, seriously scares me more than anything this off season. a good kicker is hard to come by. feely is far from automatic, but he's got balls and I feel a ton more confident with him then Folk. [B]once a kicker loses it, out of fork in him , he's done.[/B] I want feely back bad.[/QUOTE]

isn't jay on like his 4th team, possibly soon to be 5th? wouldn't it be fair to say he has "lost it" at some point in his career and came back?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    For every knock I hear about Jay Feely (kickoffs could be better/AFC Championship choke), I think about the countless TD saving tackles he made on special teams, breaking the Jets consecutive FG streak and stepping up to play punter in a playoff game.

I'm stunned to hear people think of him as a "dime a dozen". What's that other saying? "Don't know what you got till it's gone"...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3538107]isn't jay on like his 4th team, possibly soon to be 5th? wouldn't it be fair to say he has "lost it" at some point in his career and came back?[/QUOTE]

Thank you I am tired of saying this. Kickers careers get resurected a lot over the years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Miracle In The Meadowlands;3538179]For every knock I hear about Jay Feely (kickoffs could be better/AFC Championship choke), I think about the [B]countless TD saving tackles[/B] he made on special teams, breaking the Jets consecutive FG streak and stepping up to play punter in a playoff game.

I'm stunned to hear people think of him as a "dime a dozen". What's that other saying? "Don't know what you got till it's gone"...[/QUOTE]

please recount these COUNTLESS TD SAVING tackles

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    imo, feely was about the same as nugent though he played with more guts. however, he was the contain guy on one of those ted ginn ko returns and he overplayed allowing ginn to score. as i recall, the whole special teams overplayed on those kick offs that day.

if he can get the money he wants elsewhere then, see ya.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Miracle In The Meadowlands;3538179]For every knock I hear about Jay Feely [B](kickoffs could be better/AFC Championship choke), I think about the countless TD saving tackles he made on special teams, [/B]breaking the Jets consecutive FG streak and stepping up to play punter in a playoff game.

I'm stunned to hear people think of him as a "dime a dozen". What's that other saying? "Don't know what you got till it's gone"...[/QUOTE]

Don't you see if his KO's are better he would not have to constantly be trying to make TD saving tackles. Didn't he miss a TD saving tackle in the Bengals PO game that went for a TD? Yes he punted the first one was returned to the 20 yard line and he did ok the rest of the game, but what r the chances he punts again? As far as the Championship choke that is huge and he has done it before on the Giants and choked big time in Atlanta. He was cut from Atlanta,Giants,Fins,Chiefs for about a month and signed off the street after almost being out of the NFL by the Jets. How people keep saying that once kickers lose it stick a fork in them and then talk about Feely as if he is not one of them. Most kickers get cut because they choke in pressure situations and Feely is one of them. That coupled with the fact that he has crappy hang time and distance on his KO equals expendable. If the CS felt any different he would have been signed long term before he became a FA or franchised, but they dont. Dime a dozen.
    Last edited by jayrad01; 03-26-2010 at 10:16 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Miracle In The Meadowlands;3537981] Of course he's gonna say we're happy with what we've got. Also, how are the Jets supposed to have any leverage if the coach is on record saying "damn, I wish we had Jay back".
    [/QUOTE]

... you can actually read between the lines ... rex wants feely back but is in a contract negotiation battle with him & his agent ...

... feely back after hard-ball negotiated salary is plan a ...

... folk is probably plan e, f, or g ...

... my guess is matching a higher (but not ridiculously higher) offer from arizona is plan b ...

... if the offer gets crazy several other veteran replacements will be plans c & d ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;3538204]imo, feely was about the same as nugent though he played with more guts. however, he was the contain guy on one of those ted ginn ko returns and he overplayed allowing ginn to score. as i recall, the whole special teams overplayed on those kick offs that day.

if he can get the money he wants elsewhere then, see ya.[/QUOTE]

Right on, over played coverage, we are hoping he signs elsewhere so we have more flex to get a UFA for the same price.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ljr@work;3538214]... you can actually read between the lines ... rex wants feely back but is in a contract negotiation battle with him & his agent ...

... feely back after hard-ball negotiated salary is plan a ...

... folk is probably plan e, f, or g ...

... my guess is matching a higher (but not ridiculously higher) offer from arizona is plan b ...

... if the offer gets crazy several other veteran replacements will be plans c & d ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Or they can do what the Falcons,Giants,Fins,and Cheifs did because it worked out just fine for all of them. The fins ended up with a pro bowl kicker for a fraction of what Feely was getting paid. He is a KICKER.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3538107]isn't jay on like his 4th team, possibly soon to be 5th? wouldn't it be fair to say he has "lost it" at some point in his career and came back?[/QUOTE]

Good point. I wonder why teams keep cutting him and letting him walk. He seems to be a gamer and has been a reliable PK (not to mention they guy willing lays hits and makes tackles which is always a huge plus with your kicker).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flagman5A;3538215]Right on, over played coverage, we are hoping he signs elsewhere so we have more flex to get a UFA for the same price.[/QUOTE]

You're not going to find anyone as valuable as Feely for that price.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3538224]Or they can do what the Falcons,Giants,Fins,and Cheifs did because it worked out just fine for all of them. The fins ended up with a pro bowl kicker for a fraction of what Feely was getting paid. He is a KICKER.[/QUOTE]

... i'm certain you can't expect folk to be that guy ...

... who do you believe the jets will bring in to replace feely that will turn into this probowler? ...

l_j_r

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ljr@work;3538232]... i'm certain you can't expect folk to be that guy ...

... who do you believe the jets will bring in to replace feely that will turn into this probowler? ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Well lets see Parcells was so wowed with Feely that he cut him going into the second year of a 5 year contract, and replaced him with a FA rookie named Carpenter who is now a probowl kicker. I am not clairvoyent, but the best way to know the future is the past. In every situation where Feely was he was replaced with out missing a beat. As far as Folk yes it definately can be him as he was already once a pro bowler and you can't under estimate the importance of a great ST coach of which we have the best. If we were having this discussion 2 years ago and I told you Feely is the answer at kicker after being with out a team you would have laughed me off this board.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... if we're stuck with folk, i hope to God you're right ...

... scary once a kicker gets the yips ...

l_j_r