Thread: Trade Up Partners?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Up Partners?

Draft Daddy's very plausible intersite mock draft has Brandon Graham sliding all the way down to 29 and Dan Williams at 26. (I say very plausible because, well, look at the picks - not many reaches). Now, I think it's almost a lock Graham and Williams go much earlier than that, but what that mock drives home is that there's at least a possibility that one or both are floating around in the pick 20 range.

Which is good, because picks 20 and 21 are the Jets' trade-up sweet spot, IMO. Either pick would put the Jets ahead of 3-4 teams NE, AZ, GB, Dallas and SD, all of whom could use one or both of those players. And if Hou at 20 is targeting a CB, or Cin at 21 is targeting a TE - well, they could be looking to trade back, since those are spots they should be able to pick up at 29.

Looking at the standard draft value chart (which varies from year to year, and I have to believe will actually be more favorable to trade ups this year due to the depth of the draft and lack of drop-off from mid-1 to late-1), the jump from 29 to 20-21 takes a third round pick. Which we don't have. But we do have a 2011 second.

If I'm the Jets, and either Graham or Williams drops, I'm offering 29 and my 2011 second round pick to Hou or Cin. to move up.

Anyone disagree? Think they'd want more?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Graham but there are a lot of 3-4 OLB type guys in this draft. Hard to say if Brandon Graham will become better than say a Jerry Hughes or even a Ricky Sapp. So trading up for Graham, while I would be all for it, I cannot see happening unless the Jets think he is head and shoulders above these other guys.

Same goes for Williams to some degree. He is another guy I really like but I really cannot see him getting past Buffalo and Miami as the both could use him. So I think he might be out of reach and is not necessarily a guy that can see much action on the field in year one or maybe even year two. The more I think about it the more I think that a developmental nose tackle might make the most sense in this draft. A Corey Peters type later on.

I like your thinking though. The Jets have proven that if a guy they covet is in striking distance they are not afraid to try and move up and snatch them up. The guy I would like is Earl Thomas if he gets to that 20 range. I love the look of this mock Bitonti linked to though. Dan Williams, Brandon Graham, Terrence Cody, Devin McCourty and Jared Odrick all hovering around our pick! I did a recent first round mock and it was much different with a whole different bunch of guys available when we picked that was kinda depressing compared to this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We do not know if we have a 2011 second or not. As far as I know the Cromartie deal is conditional and could be a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    I love Graham but there are a lot of 3-4 OLB type guys in this draft. Hard to say if Brandon Graham will become better than say a Jerry Hughes or even a Ricky Sapp. So trading up for Graham, while I would be all for it, I cannot see happening unless the Jets think he is head and shoulders above these other guys.

Agreed. there's no reason, absolutely no reason, to trade up for a defensive player this year. Teams like CLE and NE with multiple picks in the 2nd round are truly sitting pretty.

IMO D. Williams is gone before pick 20.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Agreed. there's no reason, absolutely no reason, to trade up for a defensive player this year. Teams like CLE and NE with multiple picks in the 2nd round are truly sitting pretty.

IMO D. Williams is gone before pick 20.
    To where? If he gets by Denver and Miami (who have other needs; WR for Den and Mia, OLB for Mia are the glaring ones) he could easily slide past SF (has Aubrayo Franklin on the nose) and Pit (too many holes on the OL) and doesn't play a priority position for the 4-3 teams. People have mentioned Buffalo, but unless Claussen is still on the board, I think they have to go OT - no choice, really, given the state of their OL. Either way, they aren't taking Williams.

I think Williams either goes 11 or 12, or falls to the 20s

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    KC wants DT badly enough that i think they'd even consider taking him that early if both Suh and McCoy are off the board.

Past that, Yes i do think between DEN and MIA he goes. Both teams can find near similar talent at WR and OLB in the 2nd, but a NT like Williams, not so much. I love a player like Cam Thomas as a NT, but Williams vs Thomas is huge compared to someone like D. Thomas vs D. Williams.