Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leon Washington's agent responds to Rex

Veteran

Leon Washington's agent responds to Rex

Leon Washington's agent responds to Rex
    Mar 25 3/25/2010 10:01:31 PM | More

Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News reports Leon Washington's agent, Alvin Keels, responded today to Rex Ryan's recent comments. Keels' reply came in the form of an e-mail to the Daily News.

Keels didn't rip the Jets, but he made his points.

"Leon is a bit taken back about the reports of him taking a reduced role in 2010, especially since we are 4 months from the opening of camp," Keels wrote. "However, Leon is focused on rehab right now so that he can be the dynamic player in 2010 that he has always been.

"How the Jets plan to use him is totally up to the coaching staff, he just wants to be totally prepared for whatever his role will be. Leon has always been a team player and that isn't going to stop now. Coaches tend to find a way to utilize a guy with his play making ability."

Keels took issue with Ryan's contention that Washington is hurting his rehab by working out on his own and not under the supervision of the Jets' medical staff.

"Leon is currently rehabbing in Florida at the Andrews Institute, one of the best facilities in the country. He would not be able to participate in team drills at this time, so basically he would be coming back to NY to rehab," Keels wrote. "He is a veteran and is familiar with the system so his time away shouldn't hurt much. Players choose to rehab away from the facility all of the time. Leon has simply gotten into a routine that has been working well for him.

He could have been making over 4 mil. a year if he didn't listen to this greedy jackass of an agent.

... keels is trying to make it seem like leon is not putting himself before the team in hopes of enticing another team to offer a deal to him & give their 2nd to the jets ...

... that being said, he's still an idiot :yes: ...

l_j_r

Leon, just report and stop being a diva, it's a good time to be a Jet :yes:

Honestly, the fact that Leon hasn't fired him just shows bad judgement.

He'd be better off with Rosenhaus :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    can we trade him already?

Alvin Keels should have said.... "I was the one who screwed Leon, not the Jets. They made a generous offer two years before Leon would be a UFA and I told Leon that is was not good enough. Leon would have been signed, received his $6MM bonus and would have long term security $$$ wise. It was me who screwed up and cost Leon $$$, so now I will advise Leon to make it worse for a team to be interested in him by skipping workouts and moving more toward becoming a total malcontent."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Flagman5A;3538307]Alvin Keels should have said.... "I was the one who screwed Leon, not the Jets. They made a generous offer two years before Leon would be a UFA and I told Leon that is was not good enough. Leon would have been signed, received his $6MM bonus and would have long term security $$$ wise. It was me who screwed up and cost Leon $$$, so now I will advise Leon to make it worse for a team to be interested in him by skipping workouts and moving more toward becoming a total malcontent."[/QUOTE]

True that. Leon took a calculated risk by listening to this guy. Cool. Careers can be short, and he wanted the best he could get. FIne.

But he lost his position of strength with the injury (the calculated risk part) but he is still acting like he holds the cards.

Not smart. Re-assess, regroup, and move on.

Get back to camp, sit down with Rex, put this behind them.

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3538306]can we trade him already?[/QUOTE]

+1, i'd take a third rounder in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, the thing Keels seems to be missing (or ignoring) is that it's allowed to show up to Florham Park and do your work there with your team even though you haven't signed your tender offer. Kellen Clemens and Drew Coleman have done so.

Thus, he could show up to New York to do his rehab, while his agent still shops his client to other teams.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Putting aside what advice he did or didn't give Leon last year, I don't find anything wrong with what Keels is doing right now.

I think his statements are actually very carefully worded - he doesn't criticize the team (explicitly), he reaffirms that Leon is a team player and lets it be known that Leon is working diligently to be ready for the season.

The only real recourse for a player who isn't happy with his contract is to skip voluntary workouts. Sure it would be nice for the whole team to be there, but in reality, do workouts in March have any bearing on the season - especially for a guy who can't even participate? One thing I'm pretty certain about, Leon's teammates have no ill will towards him for not being there....I don't think there will be a problem there when he comes back.

This will play out how it plays out. If Leon is back with the team, I'm happy - he's a very dynamic player. If we end up trading him, hopefully we get good value. But this is hardly a real acrimonious situation.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Flagman5A;3538307]Alvin Keels should have said.... "I was the one who screwed Leon, not the Jets. They made a generous offer two years before Leon would be a UFA and I told Leon that is was not good enough. Leon would have been signed, received his $6MM bonus and would have long term security $$$ wise. It was me who screwed up and cost Leon $$$, so now I will advise Leon to make it worse for a team to be interested in him by skipping workouts and moving more toward becoming a total malcontent."[/QUOTE]

+1. I would think that Leon has to realize this idiot cost him several million$ last year alone, not to mention the difference of his next 3years income pre injury vs post injury. Why hasn't he fired him yet?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I don't see anything wrong with Leon rehabbing near his home in Florida

I really have no problem with a guy rehabbing in florida rather than in NY. He is not near ready to do anything so I don't see the huge deal in him staying in sunny fla.

[QUOTE=crasherino;3538329]Putting aside what advice he did or didn't give Leon last year, I don't find anything wrong with what Keels is doing right now.

I think his statements are actually very carefully worded - he doesn't criticize the team (explicitly), he reaffirms that Leon is a team player and lets it be known that Leon is working diligently to be ready for the season.

The only real recourse for a player who isn't happy with his contract is to skip voluntary workouts. Sure it would be nice for the whole team to be there, but in reality, do workouts in March have any bearing on the season - especially for a guy who can't even participate? One thing I'm pretty certain about, Leon's teammates have no ill will towards him for not being there....I don't think there will be a problem there when he comes back.

This will play out how it plays out. If Leon is back with the team, I'm happy - he's a very dynamic player. If we end up trading him, hopefully we get good value. But this is hardly a real acrimonious situation.[/QUOTE]

Rex takes issue with it. Albeit probably small but enough to vocalize it to a certain degree.

I don't personally care where he rehabs. But there's more than meets the eye here.

Therein lies the 'problem'.

Leon NEEDS to sit down with Rex and Tanny WITHOUT Alvin Keels :yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Alvin Keels]Leon is a bit taken back about the reports of him taking a reduced role in 2010[/QUOTE]

What reduced role? Rex said that Leon would serve as a third down change of pace back and kick returner. When has he ever done more than that?

Leon and Keels are living in a fantasy world.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]
    "Leon is [B]currently rehabbing[/B] in Florida at the Andrews Institute, one of the best facilities in the country. [B]He would not be able to participate in team drills at this time[/B], so basically he would be coming back to NY to rehab," Keels wrote.
    [/QUOTE]

After reading this, why would any other team want to make a RFA offer to Leon and surrender a #2 pick?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3538345]Rex takes issue with it. Albeit probably small but enough to vocalize it to a certain degree.

I don't personally care where he rehabs. But there's more than meets the eye here.

Therein lies the 'problem'.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=el_dub80;3538350]Leon NEEDS to sit down with Rex and Tanny WITHOUT Alvin Keels :yes:[/QUOTE]

I agree that where he rehabs doesnt matter (unless he has genuine concerns about the Jets staff) but its the "Communication" that sounds lacking.

Now this crap is festering.

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3538334]I don't see anything wrong with Leon rehabbing near his home in Florida[/QUOTE]

Me neither.

You guys are nuts! Losing Leon would be a disaster.