View Poll Results: Who do you want at 29?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sergio Kindle

11 15.07%
  • Jerry Hughes

11 15.07%
  • Jared Odrick

10 13.70%
  • Terrence Cody

11 15.07%
  • Demaryius Thomas

15 20.55%
  • Golden Tate

15 20.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do you want at 29

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Who do you want at 29

I know everyone has the prospect they really want. And perhaps some players will fall. I don't see Wilson, Graham, Berry, Bryant, Iupati or a player like that falling to 29. The players I see some combination of being available are Sergio Kindle, Terrence Cody, Jared Odrick, Jerry Hughes, Demaryius Thomas, and Golden Tate. Of these players who do you most want to see as a Jet, and why?

I vote for Cody because Jenkins durability concerns me and I think Cody has the potential to be dominant at the nose.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Hughes
    2. Cody
    3. Tate

- Kindle scares me, so much athleticism... not so much production? Vernon has really freaked me out with pass rushers. Even though I know it's irrational, because Vern himself was statistically productive in college, especially his final year.

But yea, I'd take Jerry Hughes as my first choice out of these, then Terrance Cody if Hughes is gone and if they're both gone and Tate is on the board.... fine, take the WR.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Maurice Pouncey
    2. D. Thomas

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice call on Pouncey, I would still prefer Cody, but Pouncey may be available if gets past Dallas and Pittsburgh.... could be insurance for both Faneca and Moore...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanJim View Post
    nice call on Pouncey, I would still prefer Cody, but Pouncey may be available if gets past Dallas and Pittsburgh.... could be insurance for both Faneca and Moore...
    Jets wont draft insurance in round 1 and tough to draft a rd 1 center before paying Mangold.

IF they took Pouncey, it would be easy to interpret that as Mangold is gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best available Pass rusher!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Tate's arguably BPA there, and fills a need. Run that card up to the podium.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Jets wont draft insurance in round 1 and tough to draft a rd 1 center before paying Mangold.

IF they took Pouncey, it would be easy to interpret that as Mangold is gone.
    I don't think that is case. Pouncey played Center in college, but I think the Jets would be looking at him as a guard. My thinking would be more along the line of Faneca is gone at the end of the year, not Mangold.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanJim View Post
    I don't think that is case. Pouncey played Center in college, but I think the Jets would be looking at him as a guard. My thinking would be more along the line of Faneca is gone at the end of the year, not Mangold.
    you dont draft O-Lineman in the first round unless theyre starting.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    you dont draft O-Lineman in the first round unless theyre starting.
    You also don't continuously hedge your draft to move up and get the players you want.

Tanny has no issue deveating from what you consider the median.

I'm fine with drafting a talented guard or tackle if they're available at 29.

The only thing that would kill me is a receiver.

I'd go ape$hit

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    The only thing that would kill me is a receiver.

I'd go ape$hit
    so to review

you'd go bananas if the team drafted a player at a position of need

and you'd love it if the Jets had 5 first round offensive linemen but only played 4 of em.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    so to review

and you'd love it if the Jets had 5 first round offensive linemen but only played 4 of em.
    We should draft a #3 receiver at 29 when the kid won't even see the field for more than half of our offensive snaps.

And I shouldn't mention that receivers take years to develop in most instances.

Or that we can't grab one that screams ..."I have IT"...

Drafting for perceived needs has cost this team greatly.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather get someone for the Defensive Front 7, but I wouldn't be too upset with a WR. If I were ranking the players in this poll it would go:

Cody
    Odrick
    Kindle
    Tate
    Thomas
    Hughes

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Jets have been very successful drafting for need for the last 5+ years

this could all be a moot point, CIN or PHI both need Pouncey worse than the Jets need him.

If Faneca is a goner they deal with it next year. drafting a guy to have him ride the pine doesn't make the 2010 jets better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should draft a #3 receiver at 29 when the kid won't even see the field for more than half of our offensive snaps.

We don't have any perceived needs on this team though.

no need on the o-line
    no need at RB
    no need at QB
    no need at WR
    no need at ILB
    no need at CB
    no need at S
    no need at NT
    no need at DE
    no need at OLB

It all comes down to what people think is a need or not a need. You steadfastly declare that WR is not a need. You may be steadfast in that you think DE is a need but in the end it is all a matter of opinion. To totally eliminate a position because it is only a perceived need eliminates most of the picks in the draft for the Jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have this subconscious feeling the D. Thomas might be the biggest, I told you so player we might pass on.

I think Hughes is the best pass rusher, so him. I don't feel he'll get past Arizona though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

this could all be a moot point, CIN or PHI both need Pouncey worse than the Jets need him.

If Faneca is a goner they deal with it next year. drafting a guy to have him ride the pine doesn't make the 2010 jets better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We don't have any perceived needs on this team though.

no need on the o-line
    no need at RB
    no need at QB
    no need at WR
    no need at ILB
    no need at CB
    no need at S
    no need at NT
    no need at DE
    no need at OLB

It all comes down to what people think is a need or not a need. You steadfastly declare that WR is not a need. You may be steadfast in that you think DE is a need but in the end it is all a matter of opinion. To totally eliminate a position because it is only a perceived need eliminates most of the picks in the draft for the Jets.
    Let me clarify.

Does drafting a slot receiver make the 2010 Jets better? Maybe.

It may even help if Braylon didn't work out we wouldn't have an immediate hole to fill.

Does drafting an olineman make the 2010-2015 Jets better? No debate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

It is quite possible that we already have Faneca's replacement on the team . SLAUSON is a candidate. So is Rob Turner. Both have served their time as an apprentice. I believe both can play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

How can you justify the "won't see the field for 50% of the snaps" argument when the 6th OL wouldn't see the field AT ALL unless someone got hurt?

The fact that WRs take time to develop is a good reason to get one now. Braylon's future in NY is certainly not certain. This could be his last year here if his trouble with the dropsies continues.

I don't even know what you mean by "drafting for perceived needs has cost the team greatly."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so to review

More like want...a slot WR would be nice. As far as need goes, it's as big as any of our other needs. We still haven't even let loose Keller over the full season, Leon still hasn't played a full season with Sanchez and the Sanchez led offense, and Braylon Edwards will play his first full season.

I think the focal point of our passing game will be Edwards, Keller, Cotchery, Leon, Tomlinson in that order. Edwards could/should/hopefully will be pretty huge. I think he's topping 1,000 and 8-11 TDs.

Edit: Beerfish, didn't notice you made the same point.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.