Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Who do you want at 29?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sergio Kindle

11 15.07%
  • Jerry Hughes

11 15.07%
  • Jared Odrick

10 13.70%
  • Terrence Cody

11 15.07%
  • Demaryius Thomas

15 20.55%
  • Golden Tate

15 20.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who do you want at 29

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    It is quite possible that we already have Faneca's replacement on the team . SLAUSON is a candidate. So is Rob Turner. Both have served their time as an apprentice. I believe both can play.

Good point.

It all depends on what the CS think of the young OL on the team. An interesting thing happened toward the end of the season. Mangold got his bell rung, and missed a series. I remember it very well because I was terrified.

In the early part of the season Mangold got dinged for a few plays and they slid Woody to center. This time they brought Slauson in. I choked. “Oh No”.

Slauson played well for the series, then when back to the bench, and obscurity. It was a very good sign though.

Faneca is going to need to be replaced sooner rather then later. Be nice if the CS was confident his replacement is on the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Jets wont draft insurance in round 1 and tough to draft a rd 1 center before paying Mangold.

IF they took Pouncey, it would be easy to interpret that as Mangold is gone.
    pfffff Bit. you're flip-flopping man.

Edgy and daring draft picks when it's convenient for you, or when it fits your wants, other times you tell ppl that it's foolish to speak in such ways..

Pouncey makes more sense the half the guys ppl are talking about. The NYJETS offense is dead in the water without a stout O-line. Pouncey is the most versatile way to insure we get production from our offense. sh*t, he might even beat out Moore by midseason.
    Last edited by Paradis; 03-27-2010 at 04:43 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We don't have any perceived needs on this team though.

no need on the o-line
    no need at RB
    no need at QB
    no need at WR
    no need at ILB
    no need at CB
    no need at S
    no need at NT
    no need at DE
    no need at OLB

It all comes down to what people think is a need or not a need. You steadfastly declare that WR is not a need. You may be steadfast in that you think DE is a need but in the end it is all a matter of opinion. To totally eliminate a position because it is only a perceived need eliminates most of the picks in the draft for the Jets.

OLB and Saftey I would say are needs..Thomas has been a joke since he was drafted and Pace doesnt seem to get to the QB very often, Pool is a huge ? mark at safety and who wants to see Eric Smith as a starting safety..

If you look at RB, Greene was injured last year as a backup how is he gonna handle the load now.We dont know what LT has left and Washington might not be on the team. Would have to say that RB is a need too

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Golden Tate at 29 makes sense here.Washington's injury may hamper him and really we won't know till training camp if he's recoverd fully. Golden Tate can fill 2 needs here.
    1)As a KR he may put some much needed field position in to QB Mark Sanchez's hands.
    2)He can add some "oomph" in to a moribund passing game that will in fact open up our running game.
    Picking an OL here at 29 won't happen as we have too much $$$ already tied up with the 4 starters.Look for Tanny to go value shopping in the later rounds after the 3rd rd.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind a CB at 29 if he's on there board. I'm not convinced on Comratie, kind of like Lito last year but this time they lose a pick... other than that a 5 techinique to go along with Jenkins... JMO

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe Kindle isn't sweaping this thing. He's got a 10 pick gap in talent between everyone on that list.. freaking Tate...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I can't believe Kindle isn't sweaping this thing. He's got a 10 pick gap in talent between everyone on that list.. freaking Tate...
    I like Kindle but I think we will take TAYLOR MAYS at 29. We will address our pass rushing requirements in rd 2.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't have a problem with Thomas, Kindle, Hughes, or Tate. I wouldn't be happy if we took Cody there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this in another thread, but I think it applies here as well. What a testament to the Jets organization that we have no glaring holes to fill heading into the draft and we can debate which position could use an upgrade. And look how close the voting is? I don't think the Jets can go wrong if they just select whoever they have as the highest rated player on their board.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, receiver is a huge need.

To the people who don't want one: what happens if Braylon has a huge year and we end up having to extend Mangold, D'Brick, Revis, Harris, and possibly Cromartie as well? The first four are obviously more important than Braylon is. If we're forced to let him walk, it cripples our offense and hinders Sanchez's development.

If we take DeMaryius Thomas, Arrellious Benn, Golden Tate or Damian Williams, they can be the #3 WR and step in if anything happens. Our lack of depth at the position is terrifying.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tough call but unless there's a low-risk, high-reward 3-4 DE on the board, I think I'm going with the WR (I'm considering Kindle an OLB). Sure, maybe he won't contribute in 2010, but we have to consider the future as well.

Tate vs. Thomas - tougher call. Tate has lower risk and probably produces a bit more quickly, but I look at Thomas as a guy who in 2-3 years could be a really solid #1 WR (or co-#1 with Cotchery).

Certainly, Thomas makes Braylon more of a luxury than a necessity in 2011 even though I'm still very hopeful he picks up his game and stays on.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carlos Dunlap DE - Florida

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    From this list I voted for Thomas, but I would be equally happy with Thomas, Kindle or Hughes

I'll be just as happy if any one of those three is there for the Jets and they take him
    Can someone sell me on Thomas? I watched his highlight videos and his tall, has solid hands but his route running seems poor...Braylon 2.0.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    Can someone sell me on Thomas? I watched his highlight videos and his tall, has solid hands but his route running seems poor...Braylon 2.0.
    Route running is pretty poor, mainly because he was never asked to actually run routes. I'm not sure if that's because he wasn't taught or can't learn... but I tend to believe he was never taught.

He is very similar to Braylon in that he's a huge, physical WR who has elite speed... can run through or around defenders... wins jump balls with relative ease... works very hard to block in the running game... has the occasional lapse and drops an easy ball but generally has reliable, strong hands... good work ethic and really loves football.

His upside is Andre Johnson in a couple years. I don't see him being a total failure like Charles Rodgers as long as he maintains the strong work ethic. Worst case scenario is probably Reggie Williams-type.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    pfffff Bit. you're flip-flopping man.

Edgy and daring draft picks when it's convenient for you, or when it fits your wants, other times you tell ppl that it's foolish to speak in such ways..

Pouncey makes more sense the half the guys ppl are talking about. The NYJETS offense is dead in the water without a stout O-line. Pouncey is the most versatile way to insure we get production from our offense. sh*t, he might even beat out Moore by midseason.
    5 first round OL seems like overkill. it's a moot point pouncey could be gone to Pittsburgh or Dallas long before the Jets pick.

the OL gets better the more these guys play together... they've already played like 30+ games together... more continuity makes the unit better, not replacing the right guard with a first rounder.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Carlos Dunlap DE - Florida
    i voted for thomas in the poll but dunlap is becoming one of my faves for this slot. 4.6 at 270 at 29 is serious value. Dunlap is as close as any1 is gonna get to Shaun Ellis.. unless it's Suh

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out of this list, Kindle no question.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Best available Pass rusher!
    Other than marrying your sisters, people from Kentucky are wise

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Other than marrying your sisters, people from Kentucky are wise
    If that is the case we will be drafting OT - Tony Washington - Abilene Christian, he didn't marry his sister but he did screw her.