Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One pick away (NY Jets)

this is all in the context of 29 and the Super Bowl this year

(as per the article title).

yes they could go WR at 61 or later... and get to the super bowl that way this year

to put a name to this article USC Damian Williams is known as an exceptional route runner and not all that special in any other facet...but very good in many... that plus his chemistry with Sanchez... coming from a pro offense... could be a small turn around time for him to jump to NFL.. i dunno at 29 but the Jets could use this guy...
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-26-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Jets Defense: 1st

Jets rushing offense: 1st

Jets passing game: 31st

Yeah, no need for an additional target for the young quarterback :confused:

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3538803]Jets Defense: 1st

Yeah, no need for an additional target for the young quarterback :confused:[/QUOTE]

QFT

Yeah, no need for an additional target for the young quarterback :confused:[/QUOTE]

I think some would argue that the passing offense was due to growing pains from our rookie QB.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.

There were many reasons we were rated 31st in the league, in the passing game, last season... but a lack of targets was DEFINITELY not one of them.

Honestly, thats a weak arguement.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Starkweather;3538830]There were many reasons we were rated 31st in the league, in the passing game, last season... but a lack of targets was DEFINITELY not one of them.

Honestly, thats a weak arguement.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't necessarily say that.

After Braylon and Cotch, we have absolutely nothing at receiver.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Starkweather;3538830]There were many reasons we were rated 31st in the league, in the passing game, last season... but a lack of targets was DEFINITELY not one of them.

Couldn't disagree more. A slot receiver is crucial to a team's success in the passing game. It's a huge benefit to have that 3rd option to go to on quick slants and outs. The Jets had, and have, literally nothing after Cotchery and Edwards.

[QUOTE=Starkweather;3538709]I honestly don't see a WR as a need, nor do I think a rookie WR would put us in the SB.

We need a baddass pass rushing OLB!!! The only question is... Does Rex wait on Gholston another season, or does he pull the trigger and grab, Graham or Highes at 29?[/QUOTE]

+10000000000000

I'd love to move up and grab Graham but I'd be happy with either one

[QUOTE=bitonti;3538802]this is all in the context of 29 and the Super Bowl this year

(as per the article title).

yes they could go WR at 61 or later... and get to the super bowl that way this year

to put a name to this article USC Damian Williams is known as an exceptional route runner and not all that special in any other facet...but very good in many... that plus his chemistry with Sanchez... coming from a pro offense... could be a small turn around time for him to jump to NFL.. i dunno at 29 but the Jets could use this guy...[/QUOTE]

I like Damian Williams a lot. But at 29 that is way too much of a reach.

I honestly believe the JETS will make a move for Marshall. Not sure if i will agree with that move or not but i think it will happen. Remember Mr T likes to fill holes before the draftand most if not everyone believes that a WR is a need. He then can concentrate on defense during the draft.

One quick point i would like to make, just because we have cromartie now doesnt mean our secondary is good now. We also have a hole at safety and we need another good cornerback. A team like the colts have up to 4 good wide outs. Revis and Cromartie cant cover everyone.

I do not disagree but need to point out that we started a rookie. Where would we have been if we had a moderately successful vet Qb?

i honestly don't know what our biggest need is, since our [B]starters[/B] are all solid across the board. what we need to do then, is to boost depth and/or acquire talent for specific/situational purposes: pass rusher, slot receiver, etc.

that being the case, you could make the argument for pretty much any position with our first-rounder. it's a good spot to be in, and this is a good draft to be in that spot. you can say that a WR is the best option to grab at #29, since we could get a guy to use as #3 target this year and still have the potential to replace Braylon if he's gone in 2011. DE/OLB are pretty deep this year, we could find great value in the 2nd and later. then again, we could go get a stud DE/OLB early on and still find a guy like Jordan Shippley in the 4th.

it basically comes down to BPA.

All League
    I don't think peopel realize how decimated our WR corp was last year. The reason we had to get BE when we did was becasue Cotch was hurt. Period. Cotch played like the first play of the Miami (BE's debut) and it was obvious that he was hurt in the previuos game. So for the next couple of weeks our WR corp looked like BE and Keller.

Say what you want about Clowney, but its a major statement that he could not manage any time or catches during the spell where Cotch was injured. Also that Wallace Wright was on the field as a WR and there was no sight of DC.

Right now, we have Cotch, who takes a beating and still comes out on top, and we have BE, one of the most inconsistent WRs in teh game today.

I don't think the organization wants to risk any setbacks to Sanchez's development on Cotch getting injured. Because without Cotch, we are runnign the ball 40+ times a game.

I think if the FO believes we are one WR away from the SB, then its Marshall. This guy is not Randy Moss. He is a beast on the field and Rex will control him off of it.

Its hard to imagine a Pass rusher being as big of a need as many of you think when we had the #1 D last year, only had Pace and jenkins play together for only a couple of games, and have solidified our secondary.

All Pro

10 NFL Teams One Player Away From The Ring

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/One-pick-away-How-ten-teams-can-draft-their-way?urn=nfl,230303[/url]

good read :)

Wow. Pats are one player away!

[QUOTE=pcola;3539145]I don't think peopel realize how decimated our WR corp was last year. The reason we had to get BE when we did was becasue Cotch was hurt. Period. Cotch played like the first play of the Miami (BE's debut) and it was obvious that he was hurt in the previuos game. So for the next couple of weeks our WR corp looked like BE and Keller.

[B]Say what you want about Clowney, but its a major statement that he could not manage any time or catches during the spell where Cotch was injured. Also that Wallace Wright was on the field as a WR and there was no sight of DC.[/B]

Right now, we have Cotch, who takes a beating and still comes out on top, and we have BE, one of the most inconsistent WRs in teh game today.

I don't think the organization wants to risk any setbacks to Sanchez's development on Cotch getting injured. Because without Cotch, we are runnign the ball 40+ times a game.

I think if the FO believes we are one WR away from the SB, then its Marshall. This guy is not Randy Moss. He is a beast on the field and Rex will control him off of it.

Its hard to imagine a Pass rusher being as big of a need as many of you think when we had the #1 D last year, only had Pace and jenkins play together for only a couple of games, and have solidified our secondary.[/QUOTE]

i'm no Clowney fanboy, by any means, but you should know he was our leading receiver in 2 of the 3 games Cotchery missed due to injury.

first game against Miami, Clowney had 4 catches for 72 yards, and Week 7 against Oakland he had 4 for 79 and a TD.

I gotta agree with this. Might not have great depth behind Cotch and Edwards but I'm pretty sure being last in passing attempts with 393 had a little something to do with it. Compared to the 607 rushing attempts.

Jets were 31st in the league for passing because we started a rookie QB. We'll never be top 10 with our current cast but we don't need to be either. Assuming Sanchez progresses like he showed in the playoffs, we can get to 15th or so and that should be good enough with our running game and defense.

Edit: Just looked it up. An extra 70 yards a game gets us to 15th in the league, which is very obtainable. If Sanchez cuts down on the INTs, we will have more opportunities with the ball and the 70 yards should come easily...
    Last edited by SyracuseJet; 03-27-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=FF2;3539168]Wow. Pats are one player away![/QUOTE]

Exactly. The Patriots are one player away from having a 5-11, 7-9 type of season; Tom Brady.

Without Brady, the Patriots Offense has nothing. No backfield, no RB talent of any kind. WR's? Other than Randy Moss, nothing. Wes Welker? Good luck with that guy :rolleyes:

Patriots Defense? Middle of the pack at best.

The Pats are one player away, one player away from fighting with the Bills for the AFC East 4 spot.

[QUOTE=FF2;3539168]Wow. Pats are one player away![/QUOTE]

Camera-men dont count..remember they tried that already