Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One pick away (NY Jets)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

One pick away (NY Jets)

[URL]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/One-pick-away-How-ten-teams-can-draft-their-way?urn=nfl,230303[/URL]

[B][U]One pick away: How 10 teams can draft their way to the Super Bowl[/U][/B]

[B]By Doug Farrar[/B]
    Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:43 pm EDT

Every year, it's the same only one team does not end its season with regret. For all the teams who don't win the Super Bowl and must spend the offseason wondering what could have been, the draft is the time to fill the holes that prevented the ultimate victory. Of the 2009 runners-up, here are perhaps the 10 most likely to succeed in 2010, and the positions (and players) that might bridge the gap in the draft.

[B][U]Indianapolis Colts[/U] Offensive line:[/B] After Indy's loss to the Saints in Super Bowl XLIV, team president Bill Polian singled out the efforts of his offense's front five, claiming that New Orleans' defensive line "outplayed" his players. Changes have already been made guard Ryan Lilja is gone, and left tackle Tony Ugoh has been an unequivocal disappointment. Most of the heavy hitters will be gone by the time the Colts pick at 31, but there are some sleepers in a deep draft for tackles. USC left tackle Charles Brown has the experience with a pro-style offense necessary to pick up the Colts' hyper-complex schemes. And Indiana's Rodger Saffold, an underrated tackle, started 41 games in college and wouldn't get lost on his way to Lucas Oil Stadium. Both are projected at the end of the first round.

[B][U]Minnesota Vikings[/U] Cornerback:[/B] Since they acquired Jared Allen to add demonic pass pressure to the best run-stopping front four in the game, the Vikings have been an unholy terror up front (just ask Aaron Rodgers). Problem is, they've been below-average against the pass, and that's not good when your offense forces other teams into shootouts. Injuries to Cedric Griffin and Antoine Winfield left Benny Sapp and Asher Allen as the point men too often for their levels of talent and experience. Allen has potential, but the Vikings need to start thinking about getting a lockdown corner, and there may be one even when they pick at 30. Devin McCourty of Rutgers is a possibility, as is Kyle Wilson of Boise State if he slides down the board a bit.

[COLOR=red][B][U]New York Jets[/U] Wide receiver:[/B] They've upgraded their secondary with Antonio Cromartie and will continue to look to build a front seven as tough as any in the game, but the Jets' inability to keep pace with the Colts' dynamic offense in the AFC championship game proved fatal. Quarterback Mark Sanchez looks like the real deal, but he needs targets he can count on, and the words "Braylon Edwards" and "consistency" have never been used together. Two guys spring to mind as potential favorite targets for Sanchez, should they be there when the Jets pick at 29: Notre Dame's Golden Tate, a tough guy who is fearless in traffic, and Demaryius Thomas of Georgia Tech, whose ability to be physical downfield would be a nightmare for defenses forced to monitor the Jets' rushing attack as well.[/COLOR]

[B][U]Baltimore Ravens[/U] Defensive line:[/B] For a team always proud of its defense, there are concerns along the front seven. The Ravens were average in their pass rush, which overtaxed a secondary that may be better than it looks. Dwan Edwards signed with the Bills, Trevor Pryce is getting up in years, and Terrell Suggs can't get to the quarterback all the time without help (reporting to camp 20 pounds overweight didn't help, either). Signing Cory Redding is a decent patch-job, but Redding is an end-tackle tweener, and Baltimore needs real reinforcements. The question is, where might they find the best value with the 25th pick? Alabama nose tackle Terrence Cody is starting to be thought of as a first-round pick, and he's already familiar with the 3-4 front. Maybe that's all the Ravens need to get everyone else flying around.

[B][U]New England Patriots[/U] Pass rusher:[/B] As Bill Belichick has had to rebuild his defense over the last few seasons, the lack of a consistent pass rush has plagued the team. Young defensive backs like Patrick Chung and Darius Butler had a steeper learning curve because nobody was getting to the quarterback consistently. Tully Banta-Cain led the team with 9 sacks, but five of those came against Buffalo's entry-level offensive line. Texas outside linebacker Sergio Kindle has the burst and versatility to make him a perfect fit in Belichick's new defense.

[B][U]Green Bay Packers[/U] Offensive tackle:[/B] The Packers are trying to wring everything they can out of Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, but the message is clear: If Green Bay's potentially dominant offense is to get the team to a Super Bowl, quarterback protection must be a more consistent element. The good news is that Aaron Rodgers has learned that he can't hold onto the ball forever, which certainly helps. The bad news: As efficient as Ryan Grant may be, he's no great shakes as a blocking back. If the Pack could score one of the second-level tackles with the 23rd pick USC's Charles Brown and Maryland's Bruce Campbell come to mind it would certainly help.

[B][U]Cincinnati Bengals[/U] Safety:[/B] There will be needs along the Bengals' offensive line, but that unit was one of the NFL's most underrated in 2009. The real issue is pass coverage between Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph, the best cornerback duo in the business. Fortunately, there are three potential star safeties in this draft, and the Bengals might be able to grab one of two with the 21st overall pick. Texas' Earl Thomas is all over draft boards, perhaps because teams aren't certain about where he best fits between cornerback and safety, but he would be the kind of range safety desperately needed by this defense.

[B][U]Philadelphia Eagles[/U] Interior offensive line:[/B] With center Jamaal Jackson recovering from a torn ACL and the team severing ties with disappointing guard Stacy Andrews, the Eagles need help inside for an offense that may well be without Donovan McNabb in 2010. Nick Cole has some potential at center, and Max Jean-Gilles might be okay at guard, but if the Eagles could get Florida's Maurkice Pouncey or Idaho's Mike Iupati, they'd be wise to jump.

[B][U]Dallas Cowboys[/U] Left tackle:[/B] Any doubt where the Cowboys need to turn in the draft were probably erased by what the Vikings' defense did to Tony Romo, and by proxy Romo's offensive line, in the 34-3 divisional playoff beatdown. Romo was shellshocked almost from the start of the game, took six sacks, and amassed a 20.8 passer rating in the second half. Jerry Jones seems to be convinced that Doug Free could start at left tackle, but Free may be a better swing tackle in the end. With the 27th pick, the 'Boys might look at Maryland's Bruce Campbell he's got the size and agility needed, though he'll need experience before his game tape matches his 40 time.

[B][U]San Diego Chargers[/U] Running back:[/B] Norv Turner believes that Antoine Cason can take the place of Antonio Cromartie. We're not entirely sure about that, and the lack of a definite replacement for nose tackle Jamal Williams is a major concern. But until and unless the Chargers get the kind of franchise running back they once had in LaDanian Tomlinson, this will remain their biggest need. It's possible that Fresno State's Ryan Mathews will be available when San Diego makes the 28th pick, and Mathews has everything it takes to be that guy. He's got sprinter's speed at 220 pounds, is a sure-handed receiver out of the backfield, and doesn't shy away from blocking. San Diego's offensive line isn't what the team wants it to be, but the fact that the rushing attack couldn't get out of the gate was as much about who was getting the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    People under estiamte how good Cotchery is . Can make all the catches and big plays. Braylon is only 26 and heading into a contract year guy is going to play lights out to make big bucks. I do think we need a wideout because we have no slot guy and the fact yes Edwards has 1 year left out on his deal but this team needs a pass rusher bad . Unless Tate is on the board at 29, im looking for a pass rusher 1st round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i tend to agree... WR is the worst position on the team... you start 2, often times show 3 or 4 WR looks. 4 good WR is industry standard... both SB teams had 4 targets... most teams have 6 or 7 interesting names. The Jets have 2 decent players. If either cotch or braylon gets hurt they are scary thin... 3rd WR is a bigger need than 3rd CB, 5th DL or 4th OLB.

it should also be noted the worst facet of the Jets... by far... was the passing offense which was 31st in the league.
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-26-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly don't see a WR as a need, nor do I think a rookie WR would put us in the SB.

We need a baddass pass rushing OLB!!! The only question is... Does Rex wait on Gholston another season, or does he pull the trigger and grab, Graham or Highes at 29?
    Last edited by Starkweather; 03-26-2010 at 04:54 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have no issue with aquiring a pass rusher, though I think we need a wide receiver more.

As much as I believe a good pass rusher would put our defense over the top, we can compensate for the lack of one with our excellent defensive backfield. They give our pass rushers more time to get to the QB. Besides, Rex's defensive philosophy is to pressure the QB. Though sacks are preferable, pressure can be achieved without them, as we saw this past season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're not looking to become the run and shoot here, we're looking to beat a team like the Colts with defense, not scoring. If we had one more CB, a healthy RB and more consistent pass rush, we win... we scored enough points to beat the Colts, IF we could have played the game the way we're built to do it.

That's not to say that this offense can't Score more...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetStream;3538721]we scored enough points to beat the Colts,[/QUOTE]

the Colts aren't losing the AFC CG 17-10 at home

17 points is not enough to beat the Colts, Saints or any other real deal offense.

to win a Super Bowl a team must be able to punch for punch with the Manning/Brady/Brees types.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    we need a DE/OLB more than a WR

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3538722]the Colts aren't losing the AFC CG 17-10 at home

17 points is not enough to beat the Colts, Saints or any other real deal offense.

to win a Super Bowl a team must be able to punch for punch with the Manning/Brady/Brees types.[/QUOTE]

Well, San Diego would never only score 14 pts @ home in the Playoffs either right...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I respectfully disagree with the OP Article (and my good friend Bitonti).

I do not see WR as our greatest need, and I disagree that an Offensive team (say the Colts) cannot be overcome by a great Defensive Team. I maintain that building the trenches and an overpowering Defense is our route to a Championship.

With that said...while I would prefer either a Pass Rusher and/or additional D-Back help in the upper rounds of the Draft, IF the Jets move on a WR, I will not be displeased.

The Draft can be so much more mellow (as a fan) when you don't have a dozen glaring open sores of weakness.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

passrush

no doubt in my mind what we need is more passrush. OLB or even DE is where we need to go first in this draft. actually I hope for OLB first and DE in the second.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a punter people!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet80;3538730]we need a DE/OLB more than a WR[/QUOTE]

... ding, ding, ding ... we have a winner!!! ...

... now that #2 cb has been addressed, pass rush is our most glaring need ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we're [B][U][I]one[/I][/U][/B] pick away then thats go all in for Eric Berry. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=capoliver;3538758]no doubt in my mind what we need is more passrush. OLB or even DE is where we need to go first in this draft. actually I hope for OLB first and DE in the second.[/QUOTE]

+1!

CBNY has me warming up to Sapp. So I say Sapp at 29 (or trade down into the 30s of the 2nd) and then DE at 61...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thechadzone10;3538705]People under estiamte how good Cotchery is . Can make all the catches and big plays. Braylon is only 26 and heading into a contract year guy is going to play lights out to make big bucks. I do think we need a wideout because we have no slot guy and the fact yes Edwards has 1 year left out on his deal but this team needs a pass rusher bad . Unless Tate is on the board at 29, im looking for a pass rusher 1st round.[/QUOTE]

Great Post! I'm with you 100% Cotch and Edwards are a great pair and compliment each other, if we can throw a solid slot in there and having LT & hopefully Leon as check downs will really open up our Offense. Edwards wasn't even top 20 in drops last year so I really think people blow it way out of proportion.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Starkweather;3538709]I honestly don't see a WR as a need, nor do I think a rookie WR would put us in the SB.

We need a baddass pass rushing OLB!!! The only question is... Does Rex wait on Gholston another season, or does he pull the trigger and grab, Graham or Highes at 29?[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.

As for Graham being there at 29, I would piss myself if it happened. He is my first choice, although I'll be shocked if he's still on the board at 19, much less 29.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to draft a young DL for depth

Immediate needs are:
    1) 3rd WR who can play the slot (Kevin Curtis?)
    2) Pass rushing OLB (Adalius Thomas?)
    3) Another cornerback (??????)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Jets may be thinking WR or DE in the first round. They let Wallace Wright go, and it seems silly to think they let him go just to replace him with another special teamer. They freed up that spot to upgrade at the WR position. Likewise, they didn't re-sign Marques Douglas and they haven't replaced him yet either.

They let Lito go and immediately traded for Cromartie. They dealt Rhodes and signed Pool right away. WR and DE are positions where we lost contributors but have not replaced them with anyone worthwhile as yet.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3538754]I respectfully disagree with the OP Article (and my good friend Bitonti).

[B]I do not see WR as our greatest need, and I disagree that an Offensive team (say the Colts) cannot be overcome by a great Defensive Team. I maintain that building the trenches and an overpowering Defense is our route to a Championship.[/B]

With that said...while I would prefer either a Pass Rusher and/or additional D-Back help in the upper rounds of the Draft, IF the Jets move on a WR, I will not be displeased.

[B]The Draft can be so much more mellow (as a fan) when you don't have a dozen glaring open sores of weakness[/B].[/QUOTE]

I think I disagree with you about our biggest need (although I waiver), but the larger point is definitely true....it definitely says something about the current state of our team that so many reasonable people can disagree about what we should target.

Other than QB and perhaps RB, the team can go in any number of directions on account of the lack of glaring holes (depth across the board excluded) on the team right now. You can always make a case for improving a specific area, but there are no holes that NEED to be filled.

Also makes the 29th (or wherever we end up picking) pick exciting. We honestly have no clue as to what Tanny & Co. will do.