Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just some thoughts about the Jets Seconday

Banned

Just some thoughts about the Jets Secondary

Yeah, the Jets may have some question marks surrounding the Secondary roster such as finding a Dime CB after the loss of Strickland, but I'm also expecting a pretty solid season from Dwight Lowery as our Nicel Back, during his 2nd year playing under Rex Ryan.

As of right now, I see a huge hole @ the Safety position opposite of Jim Leonhard after the loss of Kerry Rhodes, but @ the same time... I'm also expecting a trade up from Tanny and the Jets, just like in recent years, they have always landed "Their guy"; (When trading up). Players such as Revis, Sanchez, Harris, and Greene all come to mind when thinking about the previous three drafts. The Jets can not allow the risk of having Eric freaking Smith as our starting FS. I'm sorry, the man can tackle as solid as any other Safety on the roster, he's one hell of a backup option but @ the same time... The guy is no where near being the type of Playmaker that Jet fans were screaming at Kerry Rhodes for NOT being. Eric Smith has been in the league for 4 years now, he's already 27 years of age and I'm sorry, but he's just not the answer if we plan on running a Championship Type of Defense. I'm pretty sure Rex Ryan feels the same way. Eric Berry, Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays; One of those guys could be, and should be a Jet when the 1st round is all said and done with.

I try and keep in mind, that Dwight Lowerys is only 24 years of age, has shown flashes of potential as well as overall talent; Has a lot of room to improve when it comes down to man-2-man Defense, but in my eyes, he's really sound in zone coverage. I could think of plenty of teams that would love the thought of having Dwight Lowery as their #3 CB. The Patriots are one of those teams. Lowery Recorded 3 INT's last season, was only targeted 9 times during the regular season last year and also put up 22 tackles. As a rookie, back in 2008, Lowery had 1 INT, 54 tackles, to go along with 5 Forced Fumbles. This kid can play. As Jet fans, we should all expect big things out of Dwight next season.

If you ask me, Dwight Lowery is in a pretty solid situation as of right now, for the simple fact... He's only 24 years of age, He's playing alongside one of the most talented CB's to ever play the game in Darrelle Revis, and now the Jets just went out and replaced an often injured #2 CB in Lito Sheppard, with an outstanding overall talented athlete in Antonio Cromartie? An Athlete that Rex Ryan has loved since before the day he was drafted by the Chargers during the 1st round? Are you kidding me? Our 1-2 punch of Revis and Cromartie is already hands down, the most talented 1-2 punch in the game today. Both Revis and Cromartie have the overall talent and potential to lock down opposing #1 and #2 WR's for 4 Quarters strong next season. With a little help from our Rex Ryan pass rush... This 1-2 punch of Revis and Cromartie could be something special. Rex Ryan can now go one on one on the outsides, while focusing on an overall game plan to lock up the flats, while shutting down opposing TE's and slot WR positions. Having two #1 CB's, locking down #1 and #2 WR's, could go a long way for Rex Ryan as well as this Jets Defense next season.

As an FSU fan... I love this move, really never thought I would be this excited about the #2 CB position, but as of right now, I'm feeling like the Jets have one of the most talented former Seminole athletes that I've ever seen. Been a fan since the Warrick Dunn days, Cromartie ranks right up there. Leon Washington also ranks right up there as being one of the most Explosive FSU talents that I've seen over the years.

I would love to see the Jets draft a solid dime CB, who wouldn't? But as of right now, I wouldn't mind the Jets going CB during the 4th round.

The more I think about it... The more I'm in favor of going Defense during the 1st two rounds. One of the top 3 Safetys with our 1st round pick, followed up by drafting the BPA on either the D-Line or OLB positions.

All in all: I love this secondary as of right now and once the Jets can replace the holes left by Rhodes and Strickland, I believe our Secondary will be much better than last years Secondary; which was a secondary that ranked #1 up and down the board.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 03-26-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Not a single mention of Brodney Poole, who wasn't signed just to 'kick it' in training camp.

With Poole, Dig and Smith, we're paying a considerable amount at the safety position.

You expect them to trade up and throw first round money at another safety?

I'm confused :i_dont_kn

I must watch different Jets games then all of the Lowery lovers, guy is awful. The only reason they usually bring his name up on a telecast is for something negative.

I wouldn't mind Earl Thomas but he won't be there when we pick, I want no part of Mays and Berry is a pipedream. By the way, people forget that Brodney Pool only had one real concussion, so people are making a bigger deal about his concussions than they merit.

Pool is a solid replacement for Holly Rhodes who never wanted to mix it up out there, this guy Pool will light you up and that's what this secondary was missing all these years, a real intimidating presence at safety. Did you see Kerry try to run back that fumble against Cincy?

That was pathetic the way he got run down, I think that play sealed his fate with Rex and the Jets. Kerry forgot to play the game soon after he read his press clippings, he won't be hard to replace.

By the way keep an eye on Ihedigbo, I think he will make a very good SS down the line, don't sleep a wink on him, I think he's ready.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3538919]Not a single mention of Brodney Poole, who wasn't signed just to 'kick it' in training camp.

With Poole, Dig and Smith, we're paying a considerable amount at the safety position.

I'm confused :i_dont_kn[/QUOTE]

None of those players are being paid above $1.3M this upcoming season. They're pretty cheap and good depth options. I wouldn't even count on Pool staying healthy, to be honest with you.

To DWC2:

Where are you getting your stats from? Lowery could not have been targeted just 9 times the whole regular season.
    Last edited by Super Mario; 03-26-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=hendu24;3538921]I must watch different Jets games then all of the Lowery lovers, guy is awful. The only reason they usually bring his name up on a telecast is for something negative.[/QUOTE]

+1, sorta.

I wouldn't mind him as the 4th corner, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near a starting position or as the nickelback.

He's a depth guy, that's it.

[QUOTE=hendu24;3538921]I must watch different Jets games then all of the Lowery lovers, guy is awful. The only reason they usually bring his name up on a telecast is for something negative.[/QUOTE]

He was 6th in the NFL in efficiency rating as a corner, Garcon made him look bad, but that was one game and come on, that was Peyton making those throws... he makes every corner in the league look bad.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3538919]Not a single mention of Brodney Poole, who wasn't signed just to 'kick it' in training camp.

[B]I'm confused[/B] :i_dont_kn[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I can tell that you are confused.

With your logic, I guess the Jets aren't even in ah position to draft another OLB during the 1st round, for the simple fact... "Money is already tied up into the OLB position" with Calvin Pace and Vernon Gholston. Which position makes more money out of the OLB and the S positions? The OLB position with Pace, Gholston and Thomas, or the S position with Poole, Smith and Leonhard. lol, exactly.

With your "Logic", I guess the Jets can no longer draft a WR for the simple fact... Money is "Already tied up into the WR position" with players such as Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery.

Lets not even think about going D-Line with the 1st round pick, for the simple fact... We already have Jenkins, Ellis, Douglas, Pouha, DeVito and Green.

If any Defensive position gets drafted during the 1st round; It's the Safety position.

Our D-Line, CB's, as well as OLB's positions all have a lot more talent, as well as overall depth when compared against the Safety positions. Lets not forget; nd lets not forget... Poole? lmao, the dude has had what? 3 or 4 head concussions already? Some answer. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Super Mario;3538926]None of those players are being paid above $1.3M this upcoming season. They're pretty cheap and good depth options. I wouldn't even count on Pool staying healthy, to be honest with you.[/QUOTE]

Still, $3.6 million.

Not saying it's Carrie's contract but not peanuts either.

As far as Pool goes...

I'm not overly excited. But I'm not hedging my draft to take a replacement either.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3538933]Honestly, I can tell that you are confused.

With your logic, I guess the Jets aren't even in ah position to draft another OLB during the 1st round, for the simple fact... "Money is already tied up into the OLB position" with Calvin Pace and Vernon Gholston. Which position makes more money out of the OLB and the S positions? The OLB position with Pace, Gholston and Thomas, or the S position with Poole, Smith and Leonhard. lol, exactly.

With your "Logic", I guess the Jets can no longer draft a WR for the simple fact... Money is "Already tied up into the WR position" with players such as Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery.

Lets not even think about going D-Line with the 1st round pick, for the simple fact... We already have Jenkins, Ellis, Douglas, Pouha, DeVito and Green.

If any Defensive position gets drafted during the 1st round; It's the Safety position.

Our D-Line, CB's, as well as OLB's positions all have a lot more talent, as well as overall depth when compared against the Safety positions. Lets not forget; nd lets not forget... Poole? lmao, the dude has had what? 3 or 4 head concussions already? Some answer. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Every position you named is much more coveted than the FS position.

Sorry, I know you hate seeing things from another point of view.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3538936]Every position you named is much more coveted than the FS position.

Sorry, I know you hate seeing things from another point of view.[/QUOTE]

And.

Awaaaaaaaaay we go.

:yes:

This thread has serious potential.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3538933]Honestly, I can tell that you are confused.

Our D-Line, CB's, as well as OLB's positions all have a lot more talent, as well as overall depth when compared against the Safety positions. Lets not forget; nd lets not forget... Poole? lmao, the dude has had what? 3 or 4 head concussions already? Some answer. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

LOL

Safety is far from a premium position. How many teams really have an impact, stud safety? The Steelers and Ravens? There's Polamalu and Reed then everyone else.

Berry and Thomas are the only safety prospects I would consider in the 1st round and there's basically a snowballs chance in hell that either will be around at #29. Taylor Mays just reaks of Roy Williams Part 2.

I think you can make a strong argument that safety is probably the least valuable position on defense. Give me a shutdown corner, all-world LB, or an elite passrushing DL over a star safety anyday of the week. The only exception I would make is for a guy like Ronnie Lott or Sean Taylor, a once in a generation kind of talent.

If we draft a DB in round 1, it needs to be a CB, not a safety.

Hall Of Fame
    Somebody stoled DWC2's laptop.

No where did he mention that the Jets are serious Super Bowl Contenders under Rex Ryan with an elite Defense, a power house rushing attack, and a young Franchise QB. I mean, we are serious Super Bowl Contenders under Rex Ryan with an elite Defense, a power house rushing attack, and a young Franchise QB. How could he have not mentioned that we are serious Super Bowl Contenders under Rex Ryan with an elite Defense, with a power house rushing attack, and a young Franchise QB. I mean, because we are serious Super Bowl Contenders under Rex Ryan with an elite Defense, with a power house rushing attack, and a young Franchise QB.

Not sure how he failed to mention that. Can't be him.

[QUOTE=32green;3538938]And.

Awaaaaaaaaay we go.

:yes:[/QUOTE]

No baiting.

I was just curious why he neglected to mention the guy that will probably start at Safety this season.

I'm leaving before I get in trouble :cool:

Banned
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3538957]No baiting.

I was just curious why he neglected to mention the guy that will probably start at Safety this season.

I'm leaving before I get in trouble :cool:[/QUOTE]

That would be a good idea AGAW :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3538933]If any Defensive position gets drafted during the 1st round; It's the Safety position.[/QUOTE]

You say this like it's a fact.

If we draft a safety in the first, we're moving up to do it.

Therefore, we'd be hedging away a portion of our early draft (or a possible player that would eliminate the talent in other areas)

Makes zero sense when we can select in all likelihood OLB, CB, DE, DT all with #29.

I'm taking the higher road and putting your thread back on track.

Enjoy the evening.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3538970]Makes zero sense when we can select in all likelihood OLB, CB, DE, DT all with #29.

I'm taking the higher road and putting your thread back on track.

Enjoy the evening.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

so, you think that the jets have a huge hole at safety, and want them to spend their #1 pick on a safety (even trading up to do so), yet you conclude that "i love this secondary right now".. but do you? do we really need to waste a #1 pick on a safety... as opposed to maybe D-line, a pass rusher, or even a WR?

btw.. how old is Lowery? I didn't catch it in your OP.. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3538917]Yeah, the Jets may have some question marks surrounding the Secondary roster such as finding a Dime CB after the loss of Strickland, but I'm also expecting a pretty solid season from Dwight Lowery as our Nicel Back, during his 2nd year playing under Rex Ryan.

As of right now, I see a huge hole @ the Safety position opposite of Jim Leonhard after the loss of Kerry Rhodes, but @ the same time... I'm also expecting a trade up from Tanny and the Jets, just like in recent years, they have always landed "Their guy"; (When trading up). Players such as Revis, Sanchez, Harris, and Greene all come to mind when thinking about the previous three drafts. The Jets can not allow the risk of having Eric freaking Smith as our starting FS. I'm sorry, the man can tackle as solid as any other Safety on the roster, he's one hell of a backup option but @ the same time... The guy is no where near being the type of Playmaker that Jet fans were screaming at Kerry Rhodes for NOT being. Eric Smith has been in the league for 4 years now, he's already 27 years of age and I'm sorry, but he's just not the answer if we plan on running a Championship Type of Defense. I'm pretty sure Rex Ryan feels the same way. Eric Berry, Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays; One of those guys could be, and should be a Jet when the 1st round is all said and done with.

I try and keep in mind, that Dwight Lowerys is only 24 years of age, has shown flashes of potential as well as overall talent; Has a lot of room to improve when it comes down to man-2-man Defense, but in my eyes, he's really sound in zone coverage. I could think of plenty of teams that would love the thought of having Dwight Lowery as their #3 CB. The Patriots are one of those teams. Lowery Recorded 3 INT's last season, was only targeted 9 times during the regular season last year and also put up 22 tackles. As a rookie, back in 2008, Lowery had 1 INT, 54 tackles, to go along with 5 Forced Fumbles. This kid can play. As Jet fans, we should all expect big things out of Dwight next season.

If you ask me, Dwight Lowery is in a pretty solid situation as of right now, for the simple fact... He's only 24 years of age, He's playing alongside one of the most talented CB's to ever play the game in Darrelle Revis, and now the Jets just went out and replaced an often injured #2 CB in Lito Sheppard, with an outstanding overall talented athlete in Antonio Cromartie? An Athlete that Rex Ryan has loved since before the day he was drafted by the Chargers during the 1st round? Are you kidding me? Our 1-2 punch of Revis and Cromartie is already hands down, the most talented 1-2 punch in the game today. Both Revis and Cromartie have the overall talent and potential to lock down opposing #1 and #2 WR's for 4 Quarters strong next season. With a little help from our Rex Ryan pass rush... This 1-2 punch of Revis and Cromartie could be something special. Rex Ryan can now go one on one on the outsides, while focusing on an overall game plan to lock up the flats, while shutting down opposing TE's and slot WR positions. Having two #1 CB's, locking down #1 and #2 WR's, could go a long way for Rex Ryan as well as this Jets Defense next season.

As an FSU fan... I love this move, really never thought I would be this excited about the #2 CB position, but as of right now, I'm feeling like the Jets have one of the most talented former Seminole athletes that I've ever seen. Been a fan since the Warrick Dunn days, Cromartie ranks right up there. Leon Washington also ranks right up there as being one of the most Explosive FSU talents that I've seen over the years.

I would love to see the Jets draft a solid dime CB, who wouldn't? But as of right now, I wouldn't mind the Jets going CB during the 4th round.

The more I think about it... The more I'm in favor of going Defense during the 1st two rounds. One of the top 3 Safetys with our 1st round pick, followed up by drafting the BPA on either the D-Line or OLB positions.

All in all: I love this secondary as of right now and once the Jets can replace the holes left by Rhodes and Strickland, I believe our Secondary will be much better than last years Secondary; which was a secondary that ranked #1 up and down the board.[/QUOTE]

All the jets need is a CB to repace Strickland and they will be ok.