Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets resigned Clowney for the wrong reasons

Jets resigned Clowney for the wrong reasons

It's already been suggested we got LT for HBO... lol

But, why exactly did we resign Clowney? Is it for his philanthropic work? Is it for his unclutch perfprmance this past season? Is it for poor downfield blocking or the way he should (but doesnt) stretch a field?

Personally, if we drafted 2-3 WR's in this deep draft, I would have been fine with that.

Discuss.

[IMG]http://static.pyzam.com/img/thumbs/g_340/graphics/7/MJZ1634.gif[/IMG]

if clowney contributes, then thats a plus. if he doesnt, its not that big of a deal. were gonna draft a wide receiver somewhere in this draft, probably early on.

[QUOTE=Schroy48;3538959]It's already been suggested we got LT for HBO... lol

But, why exactly did we resign Clowney? Is it for his philanthropic work? Is it for his unclutch perfprmance this past season? Is it for poor downfield blocking or the way he should (but doesnt) stretch a field?

Personally, if we drafted 2-3 WR's in this deep draft, I would have been fine with that.

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

get a life!!!

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=jeT.MAC;3538990]get a life!!![/QUOTE]

I'd like to get one of those chill pills.

Maybe if he has another exciting preseason he'll be worth something in a trade...

All Pro
    pfff, this was worth starting a thread... you couldn't speak your mind in the other Clowney one? Fail.

Jets Insider VIP
    respectful dump request

thank you

[QUOTE=JetDevil74;3539022]Maybe if he has another exciting preseason he'll be worth something in a trade...[/QUOTE]

Thank you Hard Knocks if thats the case. :yes:

I am tired of Clowney too. He had 2009 to prove himself and he didn't. Time to move on.

He had 3 games where he saw anything remotely close to starters snaps, and put up 70+ yards twice in that span. I'm not sure why people get "down" on someone for sitting on the bench and providing useful depth. When we needed him, he stepped up.

All League
    Its not like the guy is a total waste of a roster spot and you can't have All Pros at every position. Plus were strapped with the FA Restrictions so its not like we can sign whoever we want.

He was more effective on Offense than Wallace Wright or Marcus Henry and made a few plays downfield at times, better than most 4th and 5th WRs in the league.

Hall Of Fame
    hmm idk man both seem like reaches. LT for HBO, come on now brotha..I mean..maybe, I simply don't see it.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3539051]Its not like the guy is a total waste of a roster spot and you can't have All Pros at every position. Plus were strapped with the FA Restrictions so its not like we can sign whoever we want.

He was more effective on Offense than Wallace Wright or Marcus Henry and made a few plays downfield at times, better than most 4th and 5th WRs in the league.[/QUOTE]

indeed

Need to sell tickets to the pre season games. That and the guy has a great name.

Dump Man strikes again :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    I have no problem with Clowney sticking around, especially with Wright gone and our thin depth at receiver as it is.

What I have a problem with is that for three years now, a lot of people on this board have made Clowney out to be something he's not. He's never going to be a starter, burning DB's 70 yards downfield on a regular basis. He's never going to be a stud slot receiver. He's never going to catch more than 20 passes in a season. He's always going to be a 4th/5th receiver, if that.

The amount of attention he's gotten over a pre-season game three years ago is beyond mind boggling.

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3539158]I have no problem with Clowney sticking around, especially with Wright gone and our thin depth at receiver as it is.

What I have a problem with is that for three years now, a lot of people on this board have made Clowney out to be something he's not. He's never going to be a starter, burning DB's 70 yards downfield on a regular basis. He's never going to be a stud slot receiver. He's never going to catch more than 20 passes in a season. He's always going to be a 4th/5th receiver, if that.

The amount of attention he's gotten over a pre-season game three years ago is beyond mind boggling.[/QUOTE]

WOW...was that ever right on! I too have been waiting for this guy to emerge, but he never does. He's just one of those great pre-season players and that's all he'll ever be.

All League
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3539158]I have no problem with Clowney sticking around, especially with Wright gone and our thin depth at receiver as it is.

The amount of attention he's gotten over a pre-season game three years ago is beyond mind boggling.[/QUOTE]

+1 Right on the Money!

Expectations are WAY too high for Clowney, I could see if he was a 1st or even 2nd round pick but he's not.

If your looking for a comparison to Clowney think along the lines of Dedric Ward instead of a guy like Santana Moss. He can stretch the field now and then and will catch a long one every once in a while but he will never be a 50+ catch guy, more like 20-30 tops with a decent YPC average.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 03-27-2010 at 12:09 PM.

To be fair to all of our WR last season was not a good year to show what you could do. We had a rookie QB who was shackled in his opportunity to open up the passing game. I really don't think that Clowney did anything to stand out last year but he also wasn't given a ton of opportunities either (he did have a solid game when given the chance). But understand Clowney at this point is solely going to be used to stretch the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Remember Troy Brown with the Pats?? He never had a TD catch until his 5 year on the team.. [url]http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/players.nsf/ID/07440044[/url]

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3539050]He had 3 games where he saw anything remotely close to starters snaps, and put up 70+ yards twice in that span. I'm not sure why people get "down" on someone for sitting on the bench and providing useful depth. When we needed him, he stepped up.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I would love to know who these #4 receivers are that are so much more productive than Clowney has been in his limited action.