Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, I'm going to say it

Hall Of Fame

Okay, I'm going to say it

Up In The Air was an EXTREMELY solid movie.

No homo. Seriously.

Not for you youngins that are loving Fast and the Furious 7 or Harold and Kumar Go to Jail With Madea or Jackass 3.7.

No snipers, no bombings, no superheroes, nobody talking to dead people.

Not a movie I particularly wanted to see. Glad I did.

Just a really interesting, engaging, sad, sympathetic, funny, witty story about people caught up in situations that they can't get out of, that some of us have all been in, that become their undoing or their fulfillment.

Clooney, whether you love him or hate him, was great. Not anything anywhere near Oscar-worthy. Not even close. But he was simply great.

Yes, great.

You middle aged Hampurites.

See it. With your woman.

Good movie.

As a 22 yr old fresh out of college I'm sure I cant relate to the office related issues that you more seasoned hampurites have encountered in your career. And although I was entertained by this movie up until the whole sister's wedding thing became a major plot focus. I really feel like it was over rated by the oscar crowd and such not that i really care about what movie wins what award but its a bit ridiculous that this received so many accolades. My "beef" with it is that so many people could relate. Unfortunately that seems like the situation were plugged into in this day and age. It just saddens me to see that this is what our lives are reduced to. Traveling cross country living from a suitcase and using scripts to fire long time employees who depended on their company retirement plans. Im aware thats the nature of business these days but i cant help but feel that at some point society went terribly wrong. So much of what goes on every minute of our lives is determined by corporate greed. The scene that really captured it for me in this movie was when the girl was firing that one guy and she talked about potential oppurtunities... his respone "Im 50-something years old with 4 kids and mortgage what ****** opportunities"... An above average film but its disturbing that its an accurate reflection of the world we live in

I saw it. With my woman. And it was indeed a good movie.

It took some unexpected turns, and it really shed a poignant light on the current economic crisis that we are currently experiencing. Did you know that most of the people who get fired in the film are regular people who have been actually laid off in the past year (with the exception, of course, of the recognizable actors -- Zach Galafiniakas, etc)? I think that really made the whole thing much more authentic.

Usually Clooney plays the cocky, world-by-the-balls guy, but in this one he was really just trying to adjust and handle a changing world. And that twist towards the end... man, I felt bad for him.

Veteran
    saw it in the movies with my GF.

great movie, didnt see that ending coming. that women was a c***

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    i heard that it was good actually

Banned
    Thought it was decent movie, though the plot twist at the end was entirely predictable. Tons of hints that she'd be married. Ultimately I thought it was a touch nihilistic, not that a movie should be uplifting, but rather it seems his plight is pointless, which could be nice if done without the apparent suggestion that one can find happiness in other means, just not him. Preferred A Serious Man, thought it was an interesting take on the Job (biblical) narrative.

That said Up in Air was worth going to, I recommend Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol to anyone who was interested in Clooney's character -- clearly derivative of the character Pavel Chichikov.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=operaguy;3539025]Thought it was decent movie, though the plot twist at the end was entirely predictable. Tons of hints that she'd be married. Ultimately I thought it was a touch nihilistic, not that a movie should be uplifting, but rather it seems his plight is pointless, which could be nice if done without the apparent suggestion that one can find happiness in other means, just not him. Preferred A Serious Man, thought it was an interesting take on the Job (biblical) narrative.

That said Up in Air was worth going to, I recommend Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol to anyone who was interested in Clooney's character -- clearly derivative of the character Pavel Chichikov.[/QUOTE]

i took it as a kinda pulp-style film that acted as a social commentary on the economic status of america. Just one segment of one individuals life during these times.

All League
    Got universal good reviews according to Rottentomatoes.com. I'm normally not a Clooney fan but a good movie is a good movie.

I had to sit through Twighlight New Moon with my wife and daughter...2 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back. That Stewart chick had an open mouthed pout the who boring flick...geezez H......

I can't believe the accolades this movie is getting. I just watched it with the wife, who loves George Clooney, and even she said it sucked. Her quote to anyone thinking of watching this movie was "tell them to skip the movie and stick a fork up their a$$ so at least they can save themselves half the pain"... or something like that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Saw it. It was good. Not a classic but it entertained me for 2 hours.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=operaguy;3539025]Thought it was decent movie.[/QUOTE]

Dude- next time a little common courtesy? Either post a Spoiler Warning or don't drop the spoiler.

I will agree that part was predictable, but it wasn't meant to be Hitchcock.

Lol Gogol. Liked The Namesake? Just saw it.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=kevin45;3539054]I can't believe the accolades this movie is getting. I just watched it with the wife, who loves George Clooney, and even she said it sucked. Her quote to anyone thinking of watching this movie was "tell them to skip the movie and stick a fork up their a$$ so at least they can save themselves half the pain"... or something like that.[/QUOTE]

i thought the movie was outstanding all the way through. and IMO, it's about as good as it gets with acting and directing. sure, the story isn't the most eye catching, but that's about the only problem i can see someone having with it.

what kind of movies do you and your wife usually like?

Hall Of Fame
    Looking forward to A Serious Man, short wait on Netflix.

Next up is Brothers.

Anyone see it? Looks like it could be a tad disturbing.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3539065]i thought the movie was outstanding all the way through. and IMO, it's about as good as it gets with acting and directing. sure, the story isn't the most eye catching, but that's about the only problem i can see someone having with it.

what kind of movies do you and your wife usually like?[/QUOTE]

Lol. That's what I was going to ask.

I get not liking the movie, to each is own. But sucked? Ooof.

Yeah, saw Up in the Air, Stokes - Clooney rarely puts a foot wrong. It was a class movie. Have you seen Fantastic Mr Fox? Another one to add to the Clooney canon - and very watchable for adults.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=operaguy;3539025]Thought it was decent movie[/QUOTE]
    i agree you shouldn't have posted the spoiler like that...

and i'll admit it, i watched it with my friend and we were both completely shocked by the twist. i usually don't spoil myself while watching a movie. i know it's usually easy to figure out how things will turn out in a movie if you put enough thought into it, but as long as it's a good movie, i'm able to separate myself from that and just enjoy the movie while never seeing the next thing coming. now, if it's a bad movie (like the one i saw last night, "the box"), it more becomes a running joke, predicting what happens next.

All League
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3539068]Looking forward to A Serious Man, short wait on Netflix.

Next up is Brothers.

Anyone see it? Looks like it could be a tad disturbing.[/QUOTE]

I saw A Serious Man and liked it a lot. Be warned it is a typical Coen Brothers chracater driven movie that does not provide answers with a tidy plot conclusion- it makes you think. While not giving away too much the semi abrupt ending is open for interpetation much like Country for Old Men.

I will say that the lead character could've used a break at some point...;)

BTW I also saw The Informant...I thought it blew chunks. Am I the only one who thinks Matt Damon is overrated as an actor?
    Last edited by PatriotReign; 03-27-2010 at 03:26 PM.

My wife & I watch just about everything from kids movies & goofy comedies to serious dramas. Since we subscribed to netflix in Dec, the movies I have rated better than 3 out of 5 stars are Iron Man, The Hangover, Hurt Locker, Doubt, Frost Nixon & Requiem for a Dream. I also liked Inglorious Basterds, District 9, Bra Boys & Star Trek. Didn't care for Twilight, Couples Retreat or I Love You Man. The Proposal, which my wife also hated, is the only netflix I've disliked more than Up in the Air. I guess I'm just not a fan of most romantic comedies.

I probably have a bias against Clooney. I don't think he's a good actor & I can't stand the way he puts his politics in the public eye. He was good in Michael Clayton, but nothing else that comes to mind. Also didn't like the sappy music. It was cute when Jason Reitman did it in Juno (which I liked). But it just irritated me in this one.

Finally, it was just too slow. I don't mind slow when the acting is really good. I enjoyed Doubt because Merrill Streep & Phillip Seymour Hoffman are really good actors (way better than Clooney IMO). I also don't mind slow when there is a really good ending with a twist (Shutter Island or Sixth Sense). But I thought this ending was lame & predictable.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JStokes;3538978]Up In The Air was an EXTREMELY solid movie.

No homo. Seriously.

Not for you youngins that are loving Fast and the Furious 7 or Harold and Kumar Go to Jail With Madea or Jackass 3.7.

No snipers, no bombings, no superheroes, nobody talking to dead people.

Not a movie I particularly wanted to see. Glad I did.

Just a really interesting, engaging, sad, sympathetic, funny, witty story about people caught up in situations that they can't get out of, that some of us have all been in, that become their undoing or their fulfillment.

Clooney, whether you love him or hate him, was great. Not anything anywhere near Oscar-worthy. Not even close. But he was simply great.

Yes, great.

You middle aged Hampurites.

See it. With your woman.

Good movie.[/QUOTE]

Wow, never pegged you for a nancy...
    :P

All Pro
    [QUOTE=kevin45;3539193]My wife & I watch just about everything from kids movies & goofy comedies to serious dramas. Since we subscribed to netflix in Dec, the movies I have rated better than 3 out of 5 stars are Iron Man, The Hangover, Hurt Locker, Doubt, Frost Nixon & Requiem for a Dream. I also liked Inglorious Basterds, District 9, Bra Boys & Star Trek. Didn't care for Twilight, Couples Retreat or I Love You Man. The Proposal, which my wife also hated, is the only netflix I've disliked more than Up in the Air. I guess I'm just not a fan of most romantic comedies.

I probably have a bias against Clooney. I don't think he's a good actor & I can't stand the way he puts his politics in the public eye. He was good in Michael Clayton, but nothing else that comes to mind. Also didn't like the sappy music. It was cute when Jason Reitman did it in Juno (which I liked). But it just irritated me in this one.

Finally, it was just too slow. I don't mind slow when the acting is really good. I enjoyed Doubt because Merrill Streep & Phillip Seymour Hoffman are really good actors (way better than Clooney IMO). I also don't mind slow when there is a really good ending with a twist (Shutter Island or Sixth Sense). But I thought this ending was lame & predictable.[/QUOTE]

fair enough i guess. sounds like it might be your bias against clooney, which is understandable. my dad feels the same way, and there's no way he would enjoy any movie clooney does cause he just wouldn't be able to get past him. looking at imdb, i liked him in the perfect storm, the oceans movies, and good night, good luck. he's not my favorite actor by any means, but i think he does his job well. and from what i've heard, he's the most likable big name actor right now. he's never in his trailer, he's always on set even if he's not working and talking to everyone and hanging out with everyone. seems like a good dude to me.