Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Mawae: “We Truly Believe They are Going To Take Us into a Lockout”

Veteran

Kevin Mawae: “We Truly Believe They are Going To Take Us into a Lockout”

Kevin Mawae: “We Truly Believe They are Going To Take Us into a Lockout”
    Mar 26 3/26/2010 8:04:16 PM | More

Paul Bessire of Sportsradiointerviews.com reports Kevin Mawae joined Waddle and Silvy on ESPN Radio Chicago to discuss the likelihood of football in 2011, what the two sides are discussing, and teams pinching pennies this season.

When asked about the likelihood of an NFL season in 2011 Mawae said “I wish I can say that with all confidence, but I’m a little more confident now that we need to prepare for a work stoppage – not that that’s what we want. We’re trying to avoid that at all costs, but it would be foolish for us not to make sure our players are prepared for the worst case scenario… I can’t put a percentage on it. I can tell you that I’m 100% sure that our guys are prepared if that does take place. Obviously a lot of things can happen, there is a lot of time between now and the 2011 season and not the fiscal year, but the actual kickoff year in September of 2011. So anything can get done. But again, as a player rep for the players, we are cautioning our guys for the worst case scenario. Keep in mind that we want to be playing football and our fans want that, so we’re gonna do everything we can to make that happen.”

There has been a lot said in the newspapers about what’s actually been talked about and what management is saying this and the PA said that. The reality of it is, when we sat down across the table, we brought the proposals on rookie weight salary structures, on the field conditions, off-season rules and stuff like that. It all boils down to we don’t believe that we’re making enough money and we want the players to get 18 percent back. And no matter what management says, I’ve sat in those rooms and that’s always been the bottom line. Unless we get 18 percent, then we can’t get a deal done. Now in all that conversation there’s been other things talked about, there’s been non-core issues that we’ve agreed to some things on. But it boils down to a business that is averaging $31 million per ball club. Nobody has lost money. They’re not losing money and they’re not going to lose money. And their asking their employees to take an 18 percent pay cut whether it comes off the salary cap or future percentages or things like that its still 18 percent. We offer a deal where we look at all the money, but, as it stands right now, a billion dollars gets taken off the top before we figure in the split between management and ownership. That was done in the 2006 agreement to give costs credits to the stadium building construction and things like that. But we’re trying to get the management to understand that we want to talk about in all dollars and not just total football revenue minus billion dollars they already get in football concessions."

Wow in times like these they are complaining about not making enough money?

Banned
    Wow, Kevin. Rocket science right there.

Owners have a life expectancy of 80 years.

Players have a playing expectancy of only 3.

That's the issue. That's why a lockout works in professional sports 100% of the time. Can't have the average NFL player give up 1/3 of his professional income. So get your lazy ass to the bargaining table, bend over, let the owners stick it right up there, and get on the field in 2011.

Savvy?

SAR I

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Here we go boys & girls, hell hath no fury like a Center scorned.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

That's the issue. That's why a lockout works in professional sports 100% of the time. Can't have the average NFL player give up 1/3 of his professional income. So get your lazy ass to the bargaining table, bend over, let the owners stick it right up there, and get on the field in 2011.

Savvy?

SAR I

"It's not personal Sonny, it's just business."

All Pro
    this would happen

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Savvy?

SAR I
    I think you summed it up perfectly. The only thing the owners risk is that they may lose their fan base, AKA us.

But I don't see that happening.

In what other industry does the employee try to dictate the % of total revenue for that business they should be paid? These guys need to be smart about this and stop the public postering. They will lose many fans support that are having trouble putting food on the table. Most of the USA cannot afford to take a family of 4 to a NFL game anymore and these guys complain that the millions they make are not enough. Go be a ****ing truck driver and see how most of the country lives.
    Kevin needs to keep his big mouth shut. Talk at the table not to the press.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TKasper01 View Post

...In what other industry does the employee try to dictate the % of total revenue for that business they should be paid?
    Playing devil’s advocate:

In what other industry are the workers the product?

And in what other Industry do cities hand out tax (free) deals and (most of the time) giant facilities to companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

And in what other Industry do cities hand out tax (free) deals and (most of the time) giant facilities to companies?
    They know it going in. NC hands out tax free **** to Google and Dell as well as many others to attract them to NC. Much like all other states. These guys make a ton of money and I just thenk they need to get to the table to come to a reasonable deal. Way too much money at stake. Both have to swallow some pride and make a deal.

All League

Your point about workers being the product is spot on. Other than sports Pro and College the only other is the entertainment industry. As for the other point I can not think of a single state our county that does not have an Economic program or commitee that offers incentives of many kinds to entice bussineses to locate in their area. Often these incentives are lower taxes, renbersment for new hires even loans for construction of facilities. So sports is not the only people looking for handouts.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    ...As for the other point I can not think of a single state our county that does not have an Economic program or commitee that offers incentives of many kinds to entice bussineses to locate in their area. Often these incentives are lower taxes, renbersment for new hires even loans for construction of facilities. So sports is not the only people looking for handouts...
    I stand corrected.

What I meant was sports teams get facilities costing hundreds of millions of dollars. I don't think other industries get such huge deals but (obviously) I could be wrong.

Teaching for one.

People request me as a teacher for their kids because of what I do in the class.

NO different then an athlete and what he does on the field.

Except what I do really matters and makes a real difference. Athlete Idol worship is fleeting and dies when kids turn 13 usually.

When I succeed less taxes are used for jails and welfare and more taxes are brought in from productive citizens.

Hall Of Fame
    there you have it folks

an excellent reason NOT to rehire him to backup Mangold. Between the union rabblerousing and the christian evangelical organizing he'd have no time to learn the playbook anyhow

Veteran

Wouldn't that be in pretty much every service industry as well?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrad01 View Post
    It all boils down to we don’t believe that we’re making enough money and we want the players to get 18 percent back. And no matter what management says, I’ve sat in those rooms and that’s always been the bottom line. Unless we get 18 percent, then we can’t get a deal done.

Wow in times like these they are complaining about not making enough money?
    I know it's not your words, but Mawae's quote could be misleading.

The word "get" should be "give". It is the owners who want the players to give 18% back. The players are not asking for a 18% raise.

I just wanted to make sure that is clear to all who read this.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrad01 View Post
    Wouldn't that be in pretty much every service industry as well?
    maybe.

Kind of.

But do you really care who works for the company that power washes the siding on your house?

But in the NFL it does matter who is playing free safety

All League
    you see this would happen to the jets
    we finally have a team that is a super bowl contender, a dynasty in the waiting, but it will never happen because of a lockout, and once thats over we will go back to being a average team and SOJ will be back

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    Teaching for one.

People request me as a teacher for their kids because of what I do in the class.

NO different then an athlete and what he does on the field.

Except what I do really matters and makes a real difference. Athlete Idol worship is fleeting and dies when kids turn 13 usually.

When I succeed less taxes are used for jails and welfare and more taxes are brought in from productive citizens.
    True you work under similar conditions.

The difference between teachers and NFL players is there are only 1600 jobs in the NFL. So therefore the money in the NFL pays its workforce is not divided up as much as the teachers. While the payroll of all US teachers is larger there are tens of thousands of employees getting a paycheck. I would also think the top 1600 teachers are getting paid fat checks.

What kind of cash do hot shot professors pull down?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    History teaches us the players ALWAYS cave. ALWAYS.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    you see this would happen to the jets
    we finally have a team that is a super bowl contender, a dynasty in the waiting, but it will never happen because of a lockout, and once thats over we will go back to being a average team and SOJ will be back
    Or perhaps our best players get a year + off to recover from the lumps and bumps that need more than an offseason to heal.