Thread: Good program on HBO...

Good program on HBO...

If you get a chance, watch "Afghan Star" on HBO.

Its a documentary about an American Idol type singing show in Afghanistan.

Interesting weave of politics/media/religion/technology/culture.

(OK 32, now insult me.)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FF2;3539149]If you get a chance, watch "Afghan Star" on HBO.

Its a documentary about an American Idol type singing show in Afghanistan.

[B]Interesting weave of politics/media/religion/technology/culture[/B].

(OK 32, now insult me.)[/QUOTE]
    Perfect for the hampur

:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=FF2;3539149]
    (OK 32, now insult me.)[/QUOTE]

A Scotsmen and a Jewish man were having a magnificent meal at one of the finest restaurants in New York.

At the end of the evening the waiter came over to present the check and a Scottish voice said "that's all right laddie just gae the check to me".

The headlines in the local newspaper next day proclaimed "Jewish ventriloquist found beaten to death".

:alien:

:eek:

[SIZE="1"]actually heard good things about that show and will check it out, thanks[/SIZE]:D

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=32green;3539224]A Scotsmen and a Jewish man were having a magnificent meal at one of the finest restaurants in New York.

At the end of the evening the waiter came over to present the check and a Scottish voice said "that's all right laddie just gae the check to me".

The headlines in the local newspaper next day proclaimed "Jewish ventriloquist found beaten to death".

:eek:

[SIZE="1"]actually heard good things about that show and will check it out, thanks[/SIZE]:D

_[/QUOTE]

Racist!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    lol

All League
    I saw that documentary last week.

It's pretty moving to see how music (especially after hearing what goes for music over there) can really motivate a society going through such daily atrocities and hardships.

What shocked me most was how Setara (the racy, by Afghan standards, 23 year old) was GRILLED for "dancing" on stage in her F#@U@#$CK you to the judges who voted her off. Interesting peek into a Muslim society berating the Taliban for oppressive rule yet hypocritically stating a woman could be killed for dancing on stage. Seeing it from our societal point of view, you have a country caught between preserving its ideals and cultures and wanting to progress in a more westernized sense. Good flick.