Thread: Benigno: Jets 6-10 Next year

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ground and pound;3539387]

Ridiculous hah?

1999: 8-8
    2003: 6-10
    2005: 4-12
    2007: 4-12

refresh my memory, what were the expectations going into those seasons?

1999- zomg we were just in the AFC Championship game, our core is returning, plus we signed Steve Atwater. Super Bowl here we come! week 1 VT shreds achilles
    2003- ZOMG! we just discovered our franchise quarterback, our nucleus is in tact, we won a playoff game last year, Super Bowl here we come! whoops, franchise qb injures wrist, Curtis injured, defense can't stop the run, finish a nice 6-10.

2005- ZOMG!!!!! last year we were just a field goal kicker from making the AFC Championship game, our core is in tact. ZOMG we signed Ty Law, best corner in the game, and we're bringing back our entire missed kick away from a championship squad from the previous year. oh, btw, we drafted a kicker. all problems solved, Super Bowl here we come! nope, 4-12 here we come!

2007- ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!! we discovered this genius coach, the Anti Herman Edwards, Bill Belichick clone, he lead us to an incredible 10-6 record last year, Chad played a whole season, this is our year now. whoops, chowds bury us, we lose in Baltimore, we lose in Buffalo, we lose to the Giants, we lose to the Eagles, on and on, we finish 4-12.

2010- ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we made the AFC Championship last year, our coach is the greatest, our quarterback played terrible but really progressed as the year went on, hes going to be the greatest of all time, Rex is the greatest coach of all time, Revis greatest corner, greatest defense of all time, greatest running game of all time, Kris Jenkins is returning, etc etc etc, Super Bowl here we come...

kinda sound familiar? we'll see what happens. 6-10 might not be so crazy after all, although it probably wont be related to Hard Knocks or LT, it'll be because we're the Jets and this is what happens.[/QUOTE]

All those years the Jets #1 QB was injured, the 1st we had a journeyman who caught lightning in a bottle for 1 year, never to return to form (though he got 3 more seasons to try) and the other 3 the Jets had his successor, a mop-headed noodle-armed eg(g)oist who coudn't stay on the field.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=RazorJet;3539382]You name yourself after those who wanna rule the world, yet you call him out for holding the spotlight to long. Wow.
    Try this... put others before yourself, recognize others for their validity, love the Jets and go and have yourself a nice day. Peace[/QUOTE]

i think you're taking my username a bit too seriously and how it reflects what i choose to write.

i don't know how long you've been a jets fan but i remember the season after the mud bowl game. everyone was expecting big things. nbc even featured the jets on their pre game shows. i remember one where chuck ramsey (the punter) was playing jokes on the team. and richard todd had a show where some local talking head would ask him about the previous sunday's game and how things would play out for the next. well, things didn't turn out so well. todd couldn't handle the pressure of explaining why his team was losing and they just got worse and worse. of course that was also waltons first season as hc.

the bottom line is that the jets certainly should improve on what they did this past season but nothing is certain until the season is played out. 6-10? maybe. 8-8 ? maybe. but more than likely this team will finish 11-5 or so. their key will be to go 6-0 in the division.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3539267]Yeah SAR, I guess your right; Losing Jenkins and Leon for the year went "Just Perfect" for the Jets last season. :rolleyes: Yup, everything turned out perfect including the fact that the Jets were forced to start a rookie QB with only 1 year of college experience in Mark Sanchez.

I guess Calvin Pace missing the first 4 games was "Perfect" for the Jets.

I guess the HBO Cameras of Hard Knocks are the first camera's these Jet athletes have been in front of. :zzz:

Was it also perfect that our #2 CB (Lito Sheppard) as well as our Nickel and Dime CB's in Lowery and Strickland couldn't stay healthy? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ground and pound;3539387]

Ridiculous hah?

1999: 8-8
    2003: 6-10
    2005: 4-12
    2007: 4-12

refresh my memory, what were the expectations going into those seasons?

1999- zomg we were just in the AFC Championship game, our core is returning, plus we signed Steve Atwater. Super Bowl here we come! week 1 VT shreds achilles
    2003- ZOMG! we just discovered our franchise quarterback, our nucleus is in tact, we won a playoff game last year, Super Bowl here we come! whoops, franchise qb injures wrist, Curtis injured, defense can't stop the run, finish a nice 6-10.

2005- ZOMG!!!!! last year we were just a field goal kicker from making the AFC Championship game, our core is in tact. ZOMG we signed Ty Law, best corner in the game, and we're bringing back our entire missed kick away from a championship squad from the previous year. oh, btw, we drafted a kicker. all problems solved, Super Bowl here we come! nope, 4-12 here we come!

2007- ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!! we discovered this genius coach, the Anti Herman Edwards, Bill Belichick clone, he lead us to an incredible 10-6 record last year, Chad played a whole season, this is our year now. whoops, chowds bury us, we lose in Baltimore, we lose in Buffalo, we lose to the Giants, we lose to the Eagles, on and on, we finish 4-12.

2010- ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we made the AFC Championship last year, our coach is the greatest, our quarterback played terrible but really progressed as the year went on, hes going to be the greatest of all time, Rex is the greatest coach of all time, Revis greatest corner, greatest defense of all time, greatest running game of all time, Kris Jenkins is returning, etc etc etc, Super Bowl here we come...

kinda sound familiar? we'll see what happens. 6-10 might not be so crazy after all, although it probably wont be related to Hard Knocks or LT, it'll be because we're the Jets and this is what happens.[/QUOTE]

1999- Expectations were legitimately high but Bill Parcels blew it by not having another QB

2003,2005 &2007 these teams were no where as good as the 2010 Jets.

Rex Ryan is a legitimate coach an innovator as much as any other coach he is vastly better then Herm Edwards or Eric Mangini. The 2010 will be a new season and will stand on its own. The 2009 Jets happened to mesh a year earlier then anyone expected but Rex Ryan will not let this team regress. The past has NOTHING to do with these Jets. 2003, 2005 or 2007 nobody really felt that this is the these Jets teams were the strongest Jets team in 40 years. But this team very well could be the strongest Jets team in 40 years. As a fan whom has been around for all of them this is the best Jets team defensively, offensively and special teams. This does not guaranty anything but to say this is a 6-10 team is foolish. This team on the low side will win 9 games and on the high side will win 12 games
    Last edited by Boynton Beach Jets; 03-27-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    amazing how that sorry pathetic old schmuck's hatred of the jets can can everyone so worked up

All Pro
    [QUOTE=The Cooler King;3539205]His prediction for next year b/c they are on hard knocks and they signed LT....clearly what he says has zero relevance I know, but my question is how this guy ever even got on radio to begin with....[/QUOTE]

I try to be realistic about my team every season. I critcicize moves and play calling i don't agree with and I praise the ones I like. But Beningo needs to either choose a different team or just take a pill to relax. Did I expect a AFC Championship game last year no, that was a nice suprise. But he just knocks the team left and right. I wish someone would just ask him why he is a Jets fan... He is killing this hard knocks thing, he killed Rex's press conferences, he kills Sanchez INTs, he killed Mangini and Favre. This guy is only happy when he can b!tch about the team.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=sg3;3539453]amazing how that sorry pathetic old schmuck's hatred of the jets can can everyone so worked up[/QUOTE]

SOme of us are remarkably sensitive to sorry pathetic old schmucks hatred.

_

All Pro
    if you don't have high expectations for the team why follow them? Look at the Saints fans all those years and look at them now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Benigno and Roberts are a tough listen under the best of circumstances.

This hysteria over the Hard knocks is just making him look sillier and sillier.

I cant imagine these two are pulling any serious ratings after Boomer and Carton.

That's an idiot prediction. If that was an over under everyone would bet over.
    That'll be the average points per game by opponents. 6->10

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Flymax;3539466]That's an idiot prediction. If that was an over under everyone would bet over.
    That'll be the average points per game by opponents. 6->10[/QUOTE]

it takes an IDIOT to make an IDIOT prediction, fly and that is what the benignoramus is

Banned
    So SG, Whats our bet that the Jets don't make it to The Dance this year? :eek:

[QUOTE=FauxJet07;3539498]So SG, Whats our bet that the Jets don't make it to The Dance this year? :eek:[/QUOTE]

Patriots make it, Jets don't: SG writes "Same old Jets, I should have cheered for Brady" in signature

Jets make it, Patriots don't: FauxJet07 writes "No championships since Spygate = Belicheat"

Jets make it, Patriots make it: wash - no comments

Neither team makes it: Both write "Miami (or Buffalo) is the best team in the AFC East"

[QUOTE=djaparz;3539458]if you don't have high expectations for the team why follow them? Look at the Saints fans all those years and look at them now.[/QUOTE]

i have the expectation that anything less than a SB this year would be a bust, but at the same time i'm going to draw on the cursed history of this team to remind me not to take it too personally when it doesn't happen, or when they come up w/ a lovely 6-10 season, and that thin Rex Ryan just isn't going to be as good of a coach as fat Rex Ryan. we'll see. my expectations are high, i'm just considering that the worst might happen so it's not as big of a letdown. on paper we should win the Super Bowl. in practice, we're going to **** the bed (see previous examples of wild expectations leading to .333 win% seasons). whatever it is it's gonna be a wild ride from now until February, and im just hoping they don't let us down again. 41 straight seasons would say otherwise. but hey, maybe 42 is a charm;)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3539441]i don't know how long you've been a jets fan but i remember the season after the mud bowl game. everyone was expecting big things. nbc even featured the jets on their pre game shows. i remember one where chuck ramsey (the punter) was playing jokes on the team. and richard todd had a show where some local talking head would ask him about the previous sunday's game and how things would play out for the next. well, things didn't turn out so well. todd couldn't handle the pressure of explaining why his team was losing and they just got worse and worse. of course that was also waltons first season as hc.

the bottom line is that the jets certainly should improve on what they did this past season but nothing is certain until the season is played out. 6-10? maybe. 8-8 ? maybe. but more than likely this team will finish 11-5 or so. their key will be to go 6-0 in the division.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad another elder Jets statesman remembers the '83 team and all those towering expectations. Following an AFC Championship appearance in the Jan. '83 Mud Bowl and the thoughts of what should have been, I can still say after all these years that I was never so utterly disappointed in a Jets team as I was in the Sept. - Dec. 1983 squad. And I maintain that if Walt Michaels had remained as Head Coach, the 1983 Jets would have taken the next step toward the Super Bowl -- instead of 2 successive 7-9 seasons under Walton.

[QUOTE=BLEEDgreenN'white;3539215]I'm pretty sure this is not what he actually thinks, he is just a radio talk show guy tryin to get some listeners. He is a true jets fan and he knows this team is going to be good next year, just doesn't want to give them bad karma, and I don't blame him.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, cuz everyone knows "karma" is real, and if you say you think the Jets will be good, they're sure to fail.
    Ridiculous. Make sure you leave the door open for the Easter Bunny next Sunday.

there is no SAME OLD JETS, b*tches... part of getting over the "myth" is ignoring spineless tools like Beningo.

Move on, nothing to see here.

Jets Insider VIP
    kindly stop referring to me in any of your lame, unfunny, awful posts, faux jet 07

thank you

and please leave and take vinny pet littler with you

Beningo was joking around when he said that on Daily News Live... you could tell... even Joe wouldn't believe such crap.

[QUOTE=sg3;3539544]kindly stop referring to me in any of your lame, unfunny, awful posts, faux jet 07

thank you

and please leave and take vinny pet littler with you[/QUOTE]

kindly stop referring to me in any of your lame, unfunny, awful posts, Scummy Goohead the Third.

thank you

and please leave. just you. leave.