Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Benigno: Jets 6-10 Next year

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ground and pound;3540087][B]we were also 30 minutes from the Super Bowl in 1998. how did that translate for 1999?[/B] i'm sure 11 years from now when we're also 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl, that will yield us a great year after, just like it did in 1998![/QUOTE]

And less than 30 minutes later our franchise QB snapped his achillies tendon.

What's you point?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3540105]And less than 30 minutes later our franchise QB snapped his achillies tendon.

What's you point?[/QUOTE]

point: **** happens when you're the New York Jets.

care to refute? any way you slice it, it's different year, different crazy circumstances, same results. maybe this year will be different, but im not going to act shocked if it turns out the same.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    phuct thing is, this was exactly what I was thinking reading everyone bashing the guy's prediction. This team has the talent to go far, but if you don't think a few bad breaks (literally and figuratively) could radically change things, you haven't been around that long, or haven't been paying attention. :slice:

[QUOTE=ground and pound;3539387][SIZE="6"][/SIZE]

Ridiculous hah?

1999: 8-8
    2003: 6-10
    2005: 4-12
    2007: 4-12

refresh my memory, what were the expectations going into those seasons?

1999- zomg we were just in the AFC Championship game, our core is returning, plus we signed Steve Atwater. Super Bowl here we come! week 1 VT shreds achilles
    2003- ZOMG! we just discovered our franchise quarterback, our nucleus is in tact, we won a playoff game last year, Super Bowl here we come! whoops, franchise qb injures wrist, Curtis injured, defense can't stop the run, finish a nice 6-10.

2005- ZOMG!!!!! last year we were just a field goal kicker from making the AFC Championship game, our core is in tact. ZOMG we signed Ty Law, best corner in the game, and we're bringing back our entire missed kick away from a championship squad from the previous year. oh, btw, we drafted a kicker. all problems solved, Super Bowl here we come! nope, 4-12 here we come!

2007- ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!! we discovered this genius coach, the Anti Herman Edwards, Bill Belichick clone, he lead us to an incredible 10-6 record last year, Chad played a whole season, this is our year now. whoops, chowds bury us, we lose in Baltimore, we lose in Buffalo, we lose to the Giants, we lose to the Eagles, on and on, we finish 4-12.

2010- ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we made the AFC Championship last year, our coach is the greatest, our quarterback played terrible but really progressed as the year went on, hes going to be the greatest of all time, Rex is the greatest coach of all time, Revis greatest corner, greatest defense of all time, greatest running game of all time, Kris Jenkins is returning, etc etc etc, Super Bowl here we come...

kinda sound familiar? we'll see what happens. 6-10 might not be so crazy after all, although it probably wont be related to Hard Knocks or LT, it'll be because we're the Jets and this is what happens.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3540078]So? What bearing does that have on this coming season? The Pats were 90 seconds away from their 4th SB in 6 years, 19-0, and arguably the greatest franchise in the history of the game. But it didn't happen. Pats missed the playoffs the following season. (Granted, Brady went down in the first game, they still went 11-5 with a backup QB, and still missed the playoffs anyway, which only happens once every 20 years or so.)

Point is, past performance doesn't predict future results.

Also, Chit happens.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but being 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl means we only have to be 30 minutes better.

Don't hate because we're the team to beat man. We were in the AFCCG last year, and we're so Rexgressive and hungry that you don't even know.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3540365]Yes, but being 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl means we only have to be 30 minutes better.[/QUOTE]

But then what if the Colts ALSO got 30 mins better? :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3540668]But then what if the Colts ALSO got 30 mins better? :eek:[/QUOTE]

Well we know Manning got 1 year older at any rate..:P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3540668]But then what if the Colts ALSO got 30 mins better? :eek:[/QUOTE]

I think that's what Woody means when he said we had a surprise or two in store. Maybe we're PREPARED to go an a full hour better? Possibly?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3540365]Yes, but being 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl means we only have to be 30 minutes better.[/QUOTE]

this sounds great in theory, but i dont think it holds much value in practice. the 2009 Jets needed to get 30 minutes better to make the Super Bowl, but what does that have to do with the 2010 Jets? diddley. this is a new season and saying we need to get 30 minutes from last year is just flawed imo. the 2004 Jets missed the AFC Championship on the basis of a kicker who choked (twice). they drafted a kicker. last year's problem solved, right? wrong. the rest of the team collapsed in 05, so the fact that we seemingly fixed 04's leak didn't lead us to the Super Bowl like we thought it would.

the 2010 Jets need to be worried about playing 1140 minutes of great football, not worried about getting 30 minutes closer to last year's Super Bowl. last year's Super Bowl is over. if the Jets think that all they need to do is "play 30 minutes" this year and that there's some free pass that automatically places them back at halftime of last year's AFC Championship game, they're going to be sorely mistaken. because like the Jets, every other team in the NFL is going to be looking to improve, so the Jets better play like they're 0-0 again, otherwise its going to be a rude awakening.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we'll be 10-6 and lose in the divisional round of the playoffs. The offense will be significantly better while the defense will be not quite as good. If the defense is as good or better, then Rex is one of the greatest defensive minds in the history of the game, and we're assured of at least a pair of Super Bowls during his tenure.

For now, I'll stick with 10-6 for next year, with a real shot at a championship in the years following if we hit that mark. It will show that we weren't a one year fluke, that we will consistently be a contending team. History is littered with teams that made a run one year and were never heard from again.

Once the season starts, I'll go into every game thinking we'll win it. But I have to take my fan hat off when I'm making predictions for the season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ground and pound;3539396]hope springs eternal that VT might return, brother!

i watch the games because im a diehard Jets fan, but to say there's no chance that this team might flop is ridiculous. look at all the years of history to back it up, look at the enormous expectations going in, and look how it turned out. this doesn't have teh same feel as 99 or 05 going in? you bet your ass it does, HUGE expectations, SB or bust. Benigno has every right to predict we'll be 6-10, and if history is any indication (which it probably will be), then 6-10 is probably what the result will be.[/QUOTE]

Hey Mr. ground and Pound, how about taking your negativity elsewhere..can we keep a little hpe alive, eh? >>Ive been a Jets fan since I was kid, and you probably can say the same...don't be a an ready to throw your team under the bus b4 the season even starts, because I bet if someone where to give you season tickets for free, u would be the turncoat screaming the Jets' ,chant like you never said "6-10"

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DieHardJet;3541167]Hey Mr. ground and Pound, how about taking your negativity elsewhere..can we keep a little hpe alive, eh? >>Ive been a Jets fan since I was kid, and you probably can say the same...don't be a an ready to throw your team under the bus b4 the season even starts, because I bet if someone where to give you season tickets for free, u would be the turncoat screaming the Jets' ,chant like you never said "6-10"[/QUOTE]

I don't believe Ground and Pound is being negative, I think he's trying to keep his expectations in check. We def have 11-12 win talent, but that doesn't necessarily equate to us actually winning games. The truth is despite our talent the future is uncertain and sadly we have had a string of disappointing seasons following successful ones. Personally, I think we win 11 games in '10 but I can understand Ground and Pounds concerns :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    SG refuses to take a stand on his SOJ's. :eek:

Are they going to make it to The Dance this year with all their Pro Bowl talent or not?

Can they even win the AFC East ? :rolleyes:

I say No.

What's the bet SG ?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    who would have thought after the Pats won their third ring in 4 years that their fans would be relegated to bragging about division championships in such a short time?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped listening to the FAN a long time ago. Can't stand those mikes who think they're God's gift to sports and what they say is right. Plus, some of the fans were way off base. I just can't listen to that nonsense anymore.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3541389]who would have thought after the Pats won their third ring in 4 years that their fans would be relegated to bragging about division championships in such a short time?[/QUOTE]

Who's bragging?

Facts are what they are.

Coming in second place garners no trophy.

Have the Jets won ANYTHING in the recent past. Everyone knows they have had the best drafts of any team in the NFL according to their fans.

Time to shut up and win something.

No more next year excuses.

Just Do It :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ground and pound;3541129]this sounds great in theory, but i dont think it holds much value in practice. the 2009 Jets needed to get 30 minutes better to make the Super Bowl, but what does that have to do with the 2010 Jets? diddley. this is a new season and saying we need to get 30 minutes from last year is just flawed imo. the 2004 Jets missed the AFC Championship on the basis of a kicker who choked (twice). they drafted a kicker. last year's problem solved, right? wrong. the rest of the team collapsed in 05, so the fact that we seemingly fixed 04's leak didn't lead us to the Super Bowl like we thought it would.

the 2010 Jets need to be worried about playing 1140 minutes of great football, not worried about getting 30 minutes closer to last year's Super Bowl. last year's Super Bowl is over. if the Jets think that all they need to do is "play 30 minutes" this year and that there's some free pass that automatically places them back at halftime of last year's AFC Championship game, they're going to be sorely mistaken. because like the Jets, every other team in the NFL is going to be looking to improve, so the Jets better play like they're 0-0 again, otherwise its going to be a rude awakening.[/QUOTE]

I'm the board douche, and I was being a douche.

Like any team...even those with da powa to get to the SB last year...we need more good players. It's entirely possible for us to go 6-10 if we're not fully prepared for many scenarios.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DieHardJet;3541167]Hey Mr. ground and Pound, how about taking your negativity elsewhere..can we keep a little hpe alive, eh? >>Ive been a Jets fan since I was kid, and you probably can say the same...don't be a an ready to throw your team under the bus b4 the season even starts, because I bet if someone where to give you season tickets for free, u would be the turncoat screaming the Jets' ,chant like you never said "6-10"[/QUOTE]

i'm fortunate enough to have tix for this season and can't wait to see what this year holds for us and can't wait to see what the new stadium is like. having said that, optimism is great, but it's tough to act like this is a foregone conclusion that our team is going to be dominant this year. they SHOULD have a great year (on paper), but that hasn't always translated. i'm hoping like hell it does, but it just seems the expecations are through the roof, which means if things don't work out well, that's all the more agony people are going to be go through if it doesn't work. i say be excited, be optimistic, but just don't act like its a foregone conclusion, because theres 31 other teams vying for the same thing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3541389]who would have thought after the Pats won their third ring in 4 years that their fans would be relegated to bragging about division championships in such a short time?[/QUOTE]

LMAO complete pwnage. Good job my friend. :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

and it's sad to say that even in a chowd "off year" they still win division championships, yet we have 1 division championship this decade.